Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What muffler for DA50??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 05:33 AM
Mayur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What muffler for DA50??????

cant wait for the BME55 anymore...I have decided to get the DA50! I have a CA 27% extra kit with me....which muffler should I use on it? We have no issues about noise.....On the DA website I can see two different muff (standard & Tuned)...do I get one of these or something else like bisson, etc?
thanks,
mayur
Old 11-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Barry_G
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: What muffler for DA50??????

Depends on your budget. I went with DA's recommended Slimline pitts (bought it with the motor).
For my current application it's awsome. I have it in a Lanier CAP ARF @ 17# and it's ballistic.
Scuttlebutt is these new Slimlines have bigger down pipes therefore flow better than the older version.
I also like the third mounting bolt and the DA supplied mounting bracket to support the can.
Hope this helps, Barry

Old 11-02-2003, 01:12 AM
Mayur

Thanks Barry,
Is the one sold by DA for $69 Slimline??
What are the different options that I have? and what are the prices they we are lookin at?
cheers,
mayur
Old 11-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Barry_G
My Feedback: (26)

They offer their stock type muffler and the Pitts type.
Mine was $99.00
Old 11-03-2003, 11:25 AM
deputydog

The stock muffler is the $70 one. The non smoke slimline pitts is $100 and yes they opened up the down pipes. I've noticed that you have to remove quite a bit of the cowl coming forward for the standard muffler. The Pitts is behind the motor. The quiet pipe setup that DA offers is really nice also( a little more $$$ too). Depending on your app I would go with the pitts style. The Pipe setup usually goes back 16" into your fuselage!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Mayur

Oh OK! now things make more sense....thanks a lot guys...
Pitts style will suit the best as you said...will get that one
thanks again
cheers,
mayur
Old 11-04-2003, 11:39 AM
deputydog

Good Luck! You will enjoy the DA.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:31 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Mayur:

Bisson also makes a 'Pitts' style muffler for the DA50. You can look at it here:

[link]http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/index.html[/link]

P.S. This one includes a smoke tap.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:46 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Deputydog:
What do you mean by "opening up the down pipes". I have one of the original slimlines for the DA50 so I am curious what they did to improve the rpm drop.
Paul Eagon
Old 11-05-2003, 11:51 AM
deputydog

As in most of their designs, the end of the pipes are curled in slightly. This created a 500rpm drop in the motor. Some folks hacked a 1/4" or so off the end and this cured the rpm drom. Slimline redesigned the ends and made them straight. I just picked up a new one from them!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Abraxxas

Thanks guys, for answering all my questions before I had to ask them I, too, will be the proud owner of a DA-50 soon for my Wild Hare Edge... am greatly looking forward to it, sounds like the DA should be a good first gasser to break myself in with
Old 11-05-2003, 04:33 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

deputydog:

Was wondering if you knew....Did they just chop a 1/4" off the new ones or did they actually make the pipe(s) wider? (On the Slimline)

Thanks...

P.S. I'm going to email Bisson and find out the dimensions of their DA50 Pitts muffler. With it being already tapped for smoke and at a cost of $98, that's not too bad. I just don't want to deal with the issue of the pipes on this one being too small or turned or anything else that would restrict flow.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:58 PM
deputydog

I believe they just put new pipes on them. Seems to be the same length a the original. When tooling all they had to do was leave out the curling step.
While Bisson is a good product, I personally have not like the shape of most of their products. I typically go with Slimline due to their compact shape. DA says to buy the $99 Slimline and drill a hole and install a nipple between the head and the can for smoke. No need for the preheater element. Works well.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:07 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

deputydog:

Thanks for the info. The Bisson looks to me like it has a smaller box coming off the inlet. This could be a restriction as far as pressure goes, but it's hard to tell by the picture on the web site. As long as the Slimline has corrected the problem I will go with them. It's 'cake' to install a smoke nipple. Most all 50cc gassers and up are plenty hot enough to produce good smoke. I have smoke on my BME50 and the smoke fluid gets burned completely. No preheat. I'd say 95% of the time preheat only is necessary with a glow engine. Again, thanks and I wonder why the curled it in the first place? Maybe thought it looked better?

PS...The same reason in getting one is to not having to chop up the cowl so much...