Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 05:02 PM
texwiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem

Hello everybody,

I bought a TowerHobbies .46, went to the brake-in procedure. Everything sounded ok. The idle status is ok the max throttle too. But when I go from idle to max, right in the middle, the engine doesn't follow the carburator opening and tries to shut down. Either when I go from max to idle. If I keep the engine idle or max it goes smoothly.

[] PLEASE HELP! Any idea? I have had other engines and never had this kind of behaviour.

Thank you to all and happy landing!

Tex
Old 11-30-2003, 06:46 PM
JimRoss

Default RE: Engine problem

First, make sure the carb is seated in the engine and the screws are tight.
Second, it sounds like your low end needle is out of adjustment. I think it needs to be opened a little and the run tried again.

JimRoss
Old 11-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the engine broken in yet? If you're still in the first couple of tanks, it probably isn't. Poor transition from idle to high throttle is a common problem on new engines. The low end needle setting will usually be the peoblem after break in. Once you have your low end needle properly set, you shouldn't have to fool with it again unless you make a large change in fuel nitro content.

Set your high end needle to max rpm, back the engine down to a fast idle. Let it sit there for 15-30 seconds and then advance the throttle quickly. If it doesn't advance smoothly, adjust your low end needle in or out about 1/4 turn at a time until the engine will sit at a fast idle for a period of time and still advance relatively smoothly. Perform all your low end idle adjustments with the engine at a fast idle.

When you have the low end set, you will probably have to adjust the high end again slightly to get max rpm less about 200-300 rpm. Use a tach if you can. All this after the engine has 4 of 5 tanks of fuel through it.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:35 AM
texwiller

First: THANK YOU for your time.

I really appreciated it!

I did the break in but I just used two tanks (the manual said one tank...)
I'm gonna to try to adjust the min needle and we will see. In the worst scenario you will see another HELP request!

I wish you a great week.

Tex