Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CRRC GF45i

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:28 PM
WesternHobbies
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CRRC GF45i

I think hardtops intention was to state that each needle has its purpose and if adjusted properly the low needle has very little effect on the hi speed circuit of this carb. The low speed needle is not intended to control the hi-speed circuit or the carb would only have a single fuel mixture adjustment.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 PM
hardtop351

jim...

as we say here in the land down under....no worries mate!!. i have changed a few things here this morning and will run the engine this arvo when the heat dies off a little. the info i have put forward is from my own experience...and i like to share this with others to make life easier for everyone. no offence taken jim. one prob i have run into now is the braid ring that goes under the plug....it wont let the plug seal against the cylinder. ive cut it off and fixed it to the top(bottom) of the cylinder taking off a little paint first around the hole. ive also fixed the cdi unit to the back of the engine firewall and wrapped it in alfoil...i own the league models extra 330L. as well as changing the control rod from the throttle arm to servo. it was a metal one...ive now changed it to a sullivan goldnrod type.

ive also reset the tuning of the carb back to the base setting of 1 1/2 turns out from bottom. also the info on the static ignition timing is of help too jim. a good mate of mine put his automotive timing light on it and set it that way after we marked TDC.

will offer more info as i find out

cheers
craig
Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The key words are "adjusted properly"...there are too many people who never touch the needles...a Walbro WILL run with the high needle almost completly closed if the low needle is not "adjusted properly", IE way too rich
Try it .......
Old 12-29-2005, 12:39 AM
hardtop351

rcign1......

yes i agree with you that people dont "fiddle" with the needles and learn how to tune an engine and that in itself causes problems. i think a better idea would be to educate people who use engines like ours and help them get the most out of them. i read about bigsport and his probs with these engines. in the end he went and fitted something else...more money spent.

i have a feeling bigsport's lean/rich prob was something to do with airflow past the carb. on the ground it was ok...but once in the air i think it ran LEAN not rich. the airflow past the choke horn (stack) was more likely to be pulling the air OUT of it rather than forcing it in. he also stated that he had unburnt fuel under the aircraft from the exhaust so this could be rich as well or maybe the plug was fouled from the cylinder loading up with fuel?? ----remember---these engines are run upside down...they WILL foul plugs more easily than an upright engine.

with fullsize cessnas and the like the engines can sometimes suffer from air NOT flowing through the cooling fins on the cylinders. this can lead to the engine running hot of course and lean out. so this comes back to the theory of having more area for the hot air to get out versus the openings for it to get in. here in OZ we use the "4 times idea"...that is 4 times the "out" area as to the "in" area. sometimes however it isnt practical in some airframes. so with this in mind i have taken a dremel to my cowl and cut the gills in the lower sides of it. whatever cooling air goes in...it will come out.

thats all for now.....im goin flying...talk to you all again very soon

cheers
craig

Old 12-30-2005, 02:39 AM
WesternHobbies

I have pics of the new GF26i during testing. This engine has over 300 hours of runtime on it and it keeps on running. There will be lots of new stuff coming in the next few months.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96989.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	377818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57179.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	377819  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:26 AM
TooLy

HI Jim,
When the GF50I will be available ?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:22 PM
hardtop351

heyhey all......and happy new year!!

just a thought i had with reguards to this "lean/rich in the air" problem. i did an aircraft engineering degree a few years back...and one of the things they taught us was something called "altitude density". the higher up you go in the atmosphere....the thinner the air becomes. and as you all know... an engine needs to be tuned before flight and that there can be a difference in that tune from day to day...especially if one day is overcast and cold...then the next is dry and hot. this has a direct reference to altitude density. the hotter the ambient air...the thinner it is..... and vice versa.

so....it stands to reason that if you tune an engine on the ground and you put your aircraft into a low orbit....your tune WILL change. this is why the rotax engines and others have altitude compensating carbs. have you even been in the cockpit of a cessna 172 and wondered why they have a mixture control?? the walbro carbs we use dont have this "compensating" option........ they were designed to work effectively on the ground....not at altitude lol.

the idea if putting a fuel line on the diaphram cover had me questioning why you would do this...and after a little head scratching i pulled out my engineering books looking for answers. yes this line may help...but in the end it wont make a huge difference as you will still be dealing with the pressure differences as the aircraft climbs and decends. sometimes this difference is quite large and as a result the engine can either load up with fuel or lean out causing it to possibly stall in the air.

something for you all to chew on.....

cheers
craig
Old 12-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Antique

Walbro carbs are calibrated with atmospheric pressure pressing on the diapharagm..the line from the cover is to make sure that the pressure on the diaphragm stays constant..When incoming air pushes on the diaphragm the inlet needle can't control the admission of fuel and the engine runs rich...
I doubt that a difference in takeoff altitude and the 4 or 500 feet above that, where our airplanes fly, is enough to change the mixture....My .02[8D]
FWIW...A G62 at 6800 feet runsabout 400 rpm slower than it does at 1000 feet, the difference between Phoenix and Williams, in Arizona..Been there, got the T shirt....
Old 12-31-2005, 12:34 AM
tkg

RCs got this one nailed The tube is to insure that the carb diaphram see a "normal" atmospheric pressure in reference to what air is going into the carb. This will allow the venturi to draw the correct amount of fuel.
About the worse thing you can do to a Walbro is to install a velocity stack that goes out side the cowl and leve the regulator hole inside the cowl. The venturi sees normal air and the regulator see wild pressure changes as the temp inside the cowl changes and as the speed of the airplane changes. So your carb goes rich when your going fast and lean when your slow.
The diff between sealevel and 6000 ft ASL does not effect the regulator, BUT it does effect the fuel mix (needle settings).
As an engine goes up in altitude it gets richer, its scarry when you get an engine to work on, here (5480ft) and its lean after being adjusted by the local expert at sea level.[X(]
Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Antique

The old G38s with the WTA6 carbs had a small nozzle over the high speed needle..The nozzle had a very small hole in it, and the high speed needle would not close off fuel going through this hole..The factory settings for the high speed needle were from closed to 1/4 turn open...At high altitudes you could not lean it out far enough to get max rpm unless you closed off the little hole...That let the high speed needle act like it should, about 1 1/2 open for best rpm....I guess it was a CYA thing for the chainsaw the G38s were/are made from...
Old 12-31-2005, 07:53 AM
reynolds74

Hi Jim,

and the 90 Twin??

Andrea
Old 12-31-2005, 03:13 PM
maxun
My Feedback: (12)

I have the same airplane with the same engine, but I did not started the project yet. In your first fly where you able to go unlimited vertical with this engine.
and I spec this engine to pull this aircraft out of hobber, can you PM me with details of your firs fly. This bipe rocks.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:24 AM
hardtop351

hey hey all.

not sure if the piccy i wanted to show you uploaded or not here lol. i came across this piccy of a 4 cylinder 3w engine. was interested in the choke horn on the 2 carbs. i noticed that at the back of them there is a line going to the carb...would this be for pressure compensation??....i know rcign1 will have an answer for me lol..so this is question is directed towards him.

cheers
craig

Name:	Nl31121.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	378986  
Old 01-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Antique

The carbs are the later Tillotsons...The Y conector line is for fuel, the other two go to the back of the 90 degree elbows from the fittings on the carb tops...Tillotson makes special carb covers for 3W with no hole in the top and the fitting on the side of the cover..It's an attempt to keep the carb diaphragms from being affected by more than normal atmospheric pressure...I guess it works, never have flown anything with those elbows...
The twin drone engines we use for racers were originally made with 90 degree carb elbows facing directly forward..The engines were in the rear and were pushers..The air flow was directed through ducts into the elbows...The only way to make it work was covers almost like the Tillotsons...There was no hole in the top of the cover...There was a 1/16 brass tube in the carb venturi that went at a 45 degree angle into the space in the cover over the diaphragm...The pressure over the diaphragm was the same as the incoming air to the carb...Worked perfectly....The situation in the RC gassers is not quite the same, and there is not air blowing directly into the venturi, but I guess the 90 degree elbow system works OK...Looks like it woud work better if the hole was facing forward, as in the drone engine...
Old 01-01-2006, 09:35 PM
hardtop351

so do you think the idea would work on these walbro carbs??..and are the size of those tillotsons the same or close to the walbro carb intake??...bolt spacing??....i think it would myself and im willing to try it...do you know if there is an australian dealer for the 3w engines?? if not would those carb intakes be available as a spare part??.

but before i do try it i will fly the aircraft first and see if i have any probs. we have a member in our club here who flies an old laser with an old 50cc quadra single. no cowl and no choke horn.....seems to fly well.

also do you know a place where i can obtain one of those spark plug boots that are shielded??..im still having problems with the ignition cutting through my throttle and remote ignition cut off servos. i looked at the c&h ignitions website and tried all their ideas....still got probs with servos jittering around. im using a JR 770PCM reciever.

cheers
craig
Old 01-02-2006, 03:26 AM
DesertHucker

http://modeldesign.com.au/ in South Australia
Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 PM
hardtop351

heyhey all

i have now got my engine to run sweetly without affecting the radio gear. it still hasnt flown as yet but i noticed the muffler has cracked in the usual place where everyone elses has. i have a good mate who is gunna tig weld it up for me under warranty. i checked first with my supplier and i got the ok to do it. from the looks of the muffler it isnt a very thick walled materail thats been used. maybe the factory should use a thicker wall tubing to stop it fatigue cracking-----please take note crrc factory----

will put up another post after the maiden flight

cheers
craig
Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 AM
hardtop351

heyhey all

houston...we have problem. i had everything all sorted...so i thought. i did a radio range test with the engine running...guess what.... it started glitching all over the place like mad. i did a few more tests and found the battery and switch harness was causing the interferrence. ive since moved things around a little and will re-test again soon.

the engine is still performing great on 25:1 fuel. will mix up a batch of 40:1 synthetic once the mineral oil batch is used. im using a bmr6a plug and a bolly 20x8 carbon prop.

cheers
craig
Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Octopus RC
My Feedback: (2)

Hello everybody !

The CRRCpro GF26I-SP is coming now!.........

Please visit our website www.crrcpro.com to view more pics about it ...
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 AM
BIG TEZ

hi my brother (WIFPWCF) had one of these & sold it to RUSTY TUMBLES & we are trying it again in a few weeks ill keep you posted.If we have the same problems ill sell it.but i got faith in my one lol
i got it from the same shop as him the 1 he works part time at so lets see if its better then his
my bro will make a new pitts for it this is the 1 he done for his mvvs58
BIG TEZ

Name:	Db85802.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	384800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90532.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	384801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14510.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	384802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62089.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	384803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19860.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	384804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78723.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	384805  
Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Antique

They've made a half scale piston port DA50
Old 01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread is going to be locked up for a while untill I get some matter cleared up about it.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:40 AM
wifpwcf

ORIGINAL: BIG TEZ

hi my brother (WIFPWCF) had one of these & sold it to RUSTY TUMBLES & we are trying it again in a few weeks ill keep you posted.If we have the same problems ill sell it.but i got faith in my one lol
i got it from the same shop as him the 1 he works part time at so lets see if its better then his
my bro will make a new pitts for it this is the 1 he done for his mvvs58
BIG TEZ
sweet BRO we will get it going this time around we will run my carbon 19x8 for a while
yes i will make a new pitts for ya like mine.the plug thats in it you will have to change.a risistor type
talk more on sunday
cheers glen
Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 PM
WesternHobbies

Hello All,
The new CRRC GF26I-SP is about to be released and is packed with features like a CNC case, auto advance ignition, included muffler, and more. All for a street price that is scheduled to be similar to the GF45i. About $375 USD. Check out all the photos at www.crrcpro.com.

Sincerely,
Jim
CRRCproUSA.com

Name:	Sq46564.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	387704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21669.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	387705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84807.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	387706  
Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 AM
hardtop351

heyhey all

well finally after all the problems in the world....i have finally flown my league models extra 330 L. and it flew like a DREAM!!!... knife edge is wonderful...still a bit of trimming out to be done but during the flight i did everythig i could possibly think of in the way of aerobatics. the crrc pro gf45i performed faultlessly but i did find another 500 rpm in the top end tuning so it doesnt bog down like it did. unfortunately the flight was marred only by the landing....my inexperience with this model and its stall speed caused me to flop it onto the deck....and in so doing torn out the undercart mounting plate. after i got it all home i discovered that the plate wasnt glued in by very much.....i think the factory needs to address this rather important issue....dont compromise on the glue guys......the airframe will only self destruct.

i have since repaired all the damage and reglued the parts using 24hr epoxy.....the pain of a thing wont be coming apart again. the re-inspection of the aircraft is set down for another afternoon coming....and further flights will be taken.

as a part of our governing rules we must get a "large model permit" for ALL aircraft over 7 kilos in weight. mine is currently going through the system of getting said permit.

as previously said the crrc pro engine performed without problems....it didnt get hot nor did it stumble or run rich/lean. i think because i have extra venting in the form of the gills that are moulded into the cowling the air doesnt "pressurize" inside the cowling....i took to these with my dremel and cut the slots to make the gills functional. and yes they do pass air as i did notice "dirty air" marks on removing the cowl from the airframe.

thats all for now

cheers
craig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.