Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50R Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50R Starting Problems

I've got a DA-50R that is very difficult start... Once running, it runs fine, except I think it's a little fat on the low end... I've tried many different techiques to get it started, but nothing seems to work... Today, I had to use a hi-torque electric starter to get it started... This is frustrating as there are many DAs at my field and all start very easily... I've checked to make sure I'm getting spark and it appears that I am... Although the spark at the plug seems a little weak.... Using a 6V 1800mah battery on ignition...

Here's how I've been trying to get it to start by flipping...

1. Choke on / Ign off

1. Prime the engine by rotating the prop until I can tell fuel is at the carb...

2. Choke on / Ign on

3. Flip like hell, but it never pops...

4. After 10 or so flips I turn choke off and keep trying...

5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until your arm feels like it's gonna fall off

I install the carb mod on this DA before mounting it on this airframe... It doesn't stall when bumped or on landing, idles very good once warm and transition very well also...

Could this possibly be a timing issue??? I know that if the timing is advanced too far, it makes an engine a b**ch to start...

Maybe the electronic ignition box is flaky...

Any advice would be appreciated...

Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: DA-50R Starting Problems

I think the problem is that you NEVER choke it with the ignition off..you will flood the engine/plug..once the plug is wet you can flip till the cows come home..I think this is your problem..the only other problem I had was when the low end was to lean..

I put the choke on and the ign on and after 10-12 flips it starts then dies..then 3 more flips and it starts
Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

On a cold engine,choke on, ignition on, just a click or two of throttle. 5 or 6 flips and you should be able to hear the fuel reach the carb, next flip she'll fire. Turn choke off and flip, should fire right up. If you think you've flooded it. Turn ignition OFF, full throttle, flip 6 or 8 times, pull back to idle, ignition on, flip and it should fire on 1st or 2nd flip. If you think you're fat on the low end, lean the low needle a 1/16 turn or so. Gotta do it sometime!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Torqued-Up

Trust me, I've tried the "textbook" method of starting a gasser... Choke on, Ign on, couple clicks, flip till it pops, choke off, starts 3rd flip... That's the way all my Brisons start, everytime... But not this DA... This is my first DA and either I haven't figured it out yet, or there's something wrong with it...

When I go choke on, ign on, either throttle at idle or a couple clicks (tried both) and then flip it 20 times, it doesn't pop... 40 times, no pop... That's when I cranked it though until I could hear fuel in the carb... By this time though it's probably flooded, or not, hell I don't know... Flip some more and more... Finally stuck an electric starter on it and it begrudgingly came to life...

Once running, it behaves very well... It's just getting the thing started that's killing me...

Old 07-30-2005, 05:51 AM
Nogyro

If you think you have it primed, and it still won't start after 20 or 30 flips, pull the plug and see if it's wet or not. It can be hard to tell without pulling it and looking. If it's soaked, lean the low 1/12th turn and try again. If it's dry, open the low 1/12th and go from there. Gotta figure out if you're rich or lean on the bottom end to start with.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:42 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Have you checked you needles? It might be very lean on the low needle. Go back to 2 turns open on both needles and see if it starts. If not call DA, they will take care of you!~).

Joe
Old 07-30-2005, 02:14 PM
mudspike
My Feedback: (1)

Mine did the same as Torqued-up's at the 1st date of the test
next day i tried it w/ 2 turns out both H & L needle and it worked.
now it's set 1-8/7 out on High and 1-4/8 on low.

hope it helps.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:28 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Is it a mechanically activated choke or servo operated? If servo operated, make sure you are getting 100% full choke or you'll have problems.
Are you using a smart-fly ignition? If not used properly, they can give you grief.
Besides that, make sure you did the carb mod correctly and check your needles. If you can get pics we can tell you if the carb's right.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: mudspike

set 1-8/7

I assume you mean 1 7/8.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

Is it a mechanically activated choke or servo operated? If servo operated, make sure you are getting 100% full choke or you'll have problems.
Are you using a smart-fly ignition? If not used properly, they can give you grief.
Besides that, make sure you did the carb mod correctly and check your needles. If you can get pics we can tell you if the carb's right.
I've got Wayne's mechanical choke rod on it... You know, the carbon rod from the choke lever up into the front of the cowl on my Yak... I'm getting a positive open / close on the choke...

I by-passed my Smart-Fly system for now... I found out the hard way on another airplane that if you have the fiber optic connectors exposed to direct sunlight, the receiver will receive a false signal... So I by-passed it for now...

I did the carb mod and have the pressure fitting facing down, with the piece of tygon going from the bottom of the carb block around to the top where the pressure fitting is on the carb... I did not rotate the carb as on the new DAs from the factory...

I'll go back to 2 turns out on both H/L to see if that helps...

Like I said before, it runs great once started... But it seems to burble a little at idle and under 3 clicks of throttle, like it's rich...

Old 07-31-2005, 01:23 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Everything sounds right, just need to work on those needle settings. However, you may want to check you spark plug gap...should be in the range of .017-.021 (.019 is ideal), if memory serves.