Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Do I need a tunnel for an in-fuselage full pipe installation?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Do I need a tunnel for an in-fuselage full pipe installation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Albatross
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a tunnel for an in-fuselage full pipe installation?

I am planning the installation of a AMT pipe with my new ZDZ 50 NG.
Do I need to built a tunnel for this pipe if go in-fuselage configuration?

May I break-in the engine with its pipe installed? or I should rather install an in-cowl muffler for this process, then install, test and tune the pipe later on?
Old 09-09-2005, 08:23 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Do I need a tunnel for an in-fuselage full pipe installation?

break in- just assemble the plane and fly it
make sure you have good cooling -put on a prop that runs fast on it -on a slightly rich setting and 32-1 Mobil and fly it
Pipes can add more heat as the engine produce can more power--- but by flying it at low/mid/high power settings , the engine gets the best chance to seat in the ring (that's all you are breaking in) .
There is no "break in " period---some engines seal well and run hard from day one -some take more time -it does not matter as long as you watch the heat - so just let it run easily and use it .
Just about any 22x8 is fine tho I like the narrow blade stuf till I get it all sorted out .
Mine on the Bambula, loads heavily on the ground -6700 -so if it were to be run on th ground flat out -it would get hort
but going to a lighter load that lets it run closer to 7000 or so is just producing less heat.
In the air -the Bambula is great - quiet excellent thrust/speed andmdium power settings will do all the "flying" maneuvers
Not a good prop tho for extended hover-recover - a narrow blade 23x8 which turns far faster -is better for that .
Old 09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Albatross

Thanks Dick

I will take care of not loading the engine too much at the beginning (no 3D ). I am planning to run the engine with 20X10 for the first 4 gal, BTW this is pretty much what friend of mine did with this ZDZ 50 NG.

The only difference is that I am going to install a pipe; which as per your recommendations is OK even during the break-in period.

Only to make sure that I got it right; so no tunnel is necessary to cool off the pipe if it goes installed inside the fuselage?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not understad you - You do need air to circulate -somehow around / over/ past the pipe - If there is airflow OUT the fuselage - then that is fine
I like a tunnel -open to bottom of plane -keeps it all tidy
Old 09-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Albatross

I think you answered my question, never mind.

Thanks