Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

FIREWALL REINFORCEMENT? FUEL TANK DA 50

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FIREWALL REINFORCEMENT? FUEL TANK DA 50

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Banche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIREWALL REINFORCEMENT? FUEL TANK DA 50

This is my 1st gasser, TOC 30% FLAME YAK, and I need advice!

I need to know how to glass or pine or reinforce a firewall and box. I've seen alot of pics and people talking about it but I have no idea where to start.

I have already glued the firewall in but I need to take the engine off and glue on some ply wood and maybe do some other things.

Could you glue on fiberglass cloth and would that reinforce the box?
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................................

I also dont know how to set up a fuel tank. I know the carb sucks fuel in by itself so would you have 1 line in the tank for a fill, the second for a vent line and the 3rd to the carb.

Why would you need a vent and fill line if you could just use the vent line to fill the tank. This pic of a tank for a gasser has 3 lines. I have a tank like this but which line is for vent and which is for fill? Do you need that piece of tubing going strait down to the bottom? Whats its purpose?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39536.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	322328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69900.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	322329   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26011.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	322330  
Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: FIREWALL REINFORCEMENT? FUEL TANK DA 50

Banche ,
First I would add the top to your engine box this adds structural integrity to the entire engine box , more the than just the firewall..
Second you can add ply wood to the interior or back side of your firewall to increase rigidity without effecting you engine /cowl dimension.
I would go with 1.5!QUOT! dia. discs .25 !QUOT! thick epoxied to backside of you firewall where your engine standoffs mount to the firewall.
I would also pin the firewall to engine box .( drill holes and insert 1/16 !QUOT! dowels through the engine box side into the firewall secured with epoxy)
Glassing is an option , but adding aluminum angle 3/4x3/4 to the outside angle on the engine box sides secured with epoxy and screws would
definitely get the job done .
A 3 line tank system is very common , 1 vent , 1 fill , 1 carb line
A 2 line system is really all that is needed with a gas engine. 1 vent , 1 carb line from the tank with a fill line Tee'd into the carb line between the tank and carb.
You are actually using the carb line to fill the tank ,and no it wont flood the carb when filling the tank, the needle in the carb is seated until it gets a pulse from crankcase pressure while cranking the engine.
The vent tube in the fuel tank should be at the top of the tank
The carb. tube in the tank will have the flexible fuel line and !QUOT!clunk!QUOT! attached and will extend to the rear of the tank .
Old 09-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Banche

I would go with 1.5!QUOT! dia. discs .25 !QUOT! thick epoxied to backside of you firewall where your engine standoffs mount to the firewall.

where can I get these and what in the world do you mean by !QUOT!?

but adding aluminum angle 3/4x3/4 to the outside angle on the engine box (where can I get these?)

y does the fill line have that piece of tubing on it?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:10 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

that piece of tube is the fill defuel line. with the type of filtered clunk in the picture, you wouldent want to force unfiltered gas on the clean side of the filter(carb side).

You can purtchase the angle at any home depot in 10 foot lenths. Quite usefull for many projecs.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Banche

Thanks a bunch! I am going to home depot