Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Spring-aire Retracts (not Robarts)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 10:44 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring-aire Retracts (not Robarts)

I didn't know where to post this so am posting it here and in the Warbirds forum.

I am a 100% newbie when it comes to Spring Air retract systems.

I recently acquired a Kondor P-38 with an air retract system. I can't seem to figure out how the canister retains pressure after you remove the pump from the fill valve. I have no instructions other than a diagram showing how to connect the system. Using that diagram I put together a bench test. The switch appears to be a solid piece of aluminum with three air nipples and one rod with two o-rings that slides in and out. I connected the fill valve (looks like two air nipples back-to-back with a mounting assembly between them to connect to the side of the airplane) to the end air nipple on the switch. I connect the pressure tank to the right side air nipple on the side of the switch that had two air nipples. I connected one retract assembly to the other air nipple.

My Tests:
[ul][*] I installed the rod with two o-rings and moved it all the way in (this position left the retract open with no pressure potential). I then connected the fill valve to my air compressor and charged it for a few seconds (my air compressor had 100lbs indicated on the guage). When I disconnected the air compressor I noticed the air just blead right back out. This was my 1st test.[*] I moved the rod 6mm out (this lined up the o-rings so that the two air nipples were open to each other given the retract access to the pressure in the tank). I again connected the air compressor to the fill valve. When I activated the air compressor it activated the retract. When I disconnected the air compressor the retract slowly de-activated.
[/ul]

What is amiss? There is no information in the retract instructions that indicate additional equipment is needed to help the pressure tank retain pressure after removing the air compressor. I'm ASSUMING the fill assembly in the switch only allows air to go in one direction but that does not hold true when I then detect air escaping after removing the compressor.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spring-aire Retracts (not Robarts)

The fill valve, which just has a receptacle for the nozzle from the pump, has a one way check valve in it. Yours must not be working or the air would not come back out.