Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME 50 Richening

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME 50 Richening

Please forgive if this is in some huge thread someplace; I need a quick response. Yesterday, on first Yak flights, engine adjusted perfect on ground, in air would richen in low range, but high end fine, not lean, sounded good - no sags.

I have the BME regulator vent hole adapter, and had a short line just terminating open in the cowl. Then removed it altogether, no better. Now have it plumbed with a piece of fuel line into the fuse compartment.

I've heard, and read, that this one thing solves the richening problem. Two questions;
1. Does it solve it?

2. If not, what OTHER things cause in flight richening, when ground setup is perfect?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:28 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BME 50 Richening

Bob

Venting the metering diaphragm to fuse often solves problem which are realized with air pressure changes realized within the cowl.

However a properly tuned engine is a paramount. Did you lean the low end until the engine sagged and then back it up slightly? Subsequent to performing the low-end tune-up you'll have to go back and tune the high speed needle.

BME has an excellent gas engine manual on their web-site which covers just about everything required to care and feed for your engine.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME 50 Richening

Thanks, Michael. Downloaded the manual. It is MOST excellent, as these go. Just ran the motor, it was FAR better on the ground (so it was NOT so "perfect" before, obviously!), and I was able to tune the low end as you described.

Appreciate the confirmation!

(Got the servo, too - thanks!)