Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 35 on Midwest Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Tricktrack
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 35 on Midwest Cap?

Originally thinking of putting a ST 3250 on the Midwest Cap. Looking to possibly switch to gas. Have a DA-50 on an Edge, runs great. I just think it is too big for the cap.

Does anyone have good experience with the Evolution 35, would it be a good match. I see it gives 4.1 h.p. and is about 8 ounces heavier than the ST 3250 that gives 3.1.

Or possibly the ZDZ 40?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 07:30 PM
billpilotca

Default RE: Evolution 35 on Midwest Cap?

Have to say that I run a DA-50 on a Midwest Extra and it seems like a great combo. Since the Cap and Extra are the same size I would say go with the DA-50. Just my experience. I used to fly the MW Extra with a G45 which weighed a pound more than the DA-50 and did not have much zip to it. I cannot comment on the other engines but the DA-50 is a great machine.

Bill
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you built the Cap yet?

MW planes are built VERY heavy.

If you haven't built it yet--do yourself a favor and lighten it up EVERYWHERE you can.

Dremel out the lite ply in the lightening holes. Scrap the lite ply under the turtledeck and hatch area. Build balsa formers.

I've built the MW Extra and the Giles. The Extra was built stock with attention to building as light as possible without going to extremes. It weighed 17.25 pounds with a 5 pound engine.

The Giles--I went nuts and bought CF and Contest Grade Balsa for it--among other things. AUW is gonna be about 10--11 pounds with a 2.10 Moki. Cost to lighten it up? WELL OVER $150[X(]

I have a MW Cap NIB in my shop--but I just can't find the motivatin to build it after the first 2 nightmares from MW.

If you want detailed ideas on how to REALLY lighten the Cap--I've been drawing a new fuselage for mine. I could help you out with it if you are interested in my re-design ideas.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Flip and Fly

I have a Midwest Extra 300, with the airfoiled tail, running with a Brison 2.4. Changed all the balsa in the wings for contest balsa, balsa spars with carbon fiber, lightened up the landing gear plate, carbon fiber gear, and the fuse was left stock until a crash made me rebuild it into a mid wing design[&:] Nice combo at 14lbs and will pull out of a hover OK. Flies very light, 3Ds well, rolling harriers and all.

If I was to do it again the Evo 35 on their tuned pipe would be neat to try. What would the weight of the Evo 35 on a pipe be I don't know, If it was lighter than the Brison 2.4 on a Bisson muffler, and could pull harder it would be interesting
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99674.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	332356  
Old 10-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if they are out yet but the Evo 45cc with the magnesium case might be something to consider. Flip and Fly, Your Extra 300 looks like a 260 now. Cool![8D]
Old 10-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Hans Meij

Have the ZDZ40 and MVVS35. Like the MVVS35 better. About the same power, less vibrations, easier starting.
So I would choose the EVO over the ZDZ40.
However if you have not planned to use a tuned setup, I would go for a 50cc class engine. DA50, MVVS(EVO)45, or ZDZ50NG.
In our club the fly the MW-CAP with a ZDZ50NG and in cowl muffler. Excellent combo.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:38 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seen a guy at the field with the Extra, fitted with a g62.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Flip and Fly

Yes it does, and it flies even better I find. A crash broke the fuse from the canopy forward, the wing and tail was fine, so I made it into a top mount wing, and a 260 look alike[8D]
ORIGINAL: Bass1

I don't know if they are out yet but the Evo 45cc with the magnesium case might be something to consider. Flip and Fly, Your Extra 300 looks like a 260 now. Cool![8D]