Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Another G26 carb block cracked!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 09:24 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another G26 carb block cracked!!

Why doesn't Horizon or Zenoah or whoever builds these engines fix this problem?[>:] I've gone through about four of these things. One brand new one cracked as I was installing it. I never even got to fly it. These things are laying around the shop like dead bugs. I guess that at $11.99 each plus shipping they're just making too much money to correct it. I see that they're back orderd so that tells you they can't even keep up with the ones that keep breaking.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Another G26 carb block cracked!!

There are two different types, the first was phenolic with 5mm inserts for the carb screws, the second a type of black material with no inserts..It didn't crack as bad as the first, but the pulse hole is sometimes too close the hole for the carb and could leak...G10 epoxy board in 3/8 thickness costs about $40 a square foot shipped, cheaper if more is bought.....Just got 4 square feet from MSC supply....There's enough in a square foot to make about 40 insulator blocks...A CNC mill could turn out thousands in a day...Maybe they need to get a new supplier....
Mine are made to go with the conversions that put the spark coil behind the cylinder, so the carb is rotated with the bare end of the shaft under the carb close to the spark coil was mounted..The steering arm they send with the engine won't clear the mount..Some take the steel piece off the other end of the shaft and put the arm on top...I put a short piece of 3/16 brass tube on the bottom shaft and solder a 1/16 arm to it with a 2-56 hole in it for a DuBro clevis...The block is mounted to the engine with 5mm flathead allen screws and contoured to the cylinder port from the round carb venturi..The carb bolts on with 1 1/2" allen bolts...Takes a little time to make on but they're permanent and don't crack..You can, however, strip the holes if you put bolts too long that bottom out on the cylinder....
Old 10-07-2005, 10:15 PM
RTK

Contact RCIGN1 here on RCU or at his business rcignitions.com You can buy his, it will not break, much thiner and will rotate the carb for easy connections.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:18 PM
RTK

You beat me by 16 seoconds Ralph. But I said it in less words and I didn't even know you were posting.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
suitcase

Hi Ralph. The moneys in the mail. Wish I could use yours. My engine is mounted inverted. The throttle arm is on the bottom. My engine actually came with a light red insulator that was already oriented with the arm at the bottom. RV ground off the little plate thing and now I understand we shouldn't have done that. But I couldn't install the arm with it on. I just shortened the supplied arm so it wouldn't rub the cylinder and have used it that way on, this makes four, planes. Three US 120 and now the Morris Hobbies Big Boy. I broke the original red one in a crash. Ordered the wrong one from Horizon, ordered the right one and broke it installing it, ordered another. Which, eventually cracked. You sent me one and now it's cracked. The wrong one I ordered, the little square one, has brass liners where the mount screws go into the engine. I think that makes them better because it provides more even pressure when tightening it down. The ones they send are just drilled out with no liners.

My engine just stopped. Died. Sounded like the switch was turned off. It's been acting nuts anyway. I start it, but it won't transition till keep fooling with the throttle. Up and down. Ilearned if I use my finger to choke it quickly it will go to full throttle and go ahead and run. But this last time it quit and I tore out the landing gear.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

The square one was probably a G62.
I think mine can be redesigned to work with the coil in the stock mount, I'll send one reworked you can try...