Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 50 spinner bolt broken/stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:52 AM
shogunmst
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50 spinner bolt broken/stuck

Was at the feild yesterday flying my WH Edge 540 w?DA 50 and my spinner bolt snapped of in flight, this was the 26th flight and I check it and my prop bolts about every 5-7 flights now. The problem I have is that the rest of the broken bolt is stuck in the shaft of the engine and won't budge, won't even come out with a Easy-Out. Has anyone else had this happen to them, if so what did you do, would DA replace the shaft if I sent it in, or is there another way to secure the spinner without using a 3 1/2 inch long bolt?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:41 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: DA 50 spinner bolt broken/stuck

Hi,
We used to use a union nut to mate the spinner bolt to the shaft. It is just a long nut with different threads at each end.

Dave
Old 10-09-2005, 11:04 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand spinner is this? I know that Dave Brown once told me (on the phone) that he doesn't like those spinner bolts getting too long for the exact thing that happened to you. There should be an adapter if it's that long. Must have been an ultimate spinner. Also how tight did you tighten the spinner bolt?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:47 PM
huggins

The "shaft" that the spinner bolt threads into is just an adapter that threads onto the end of the crank. Very easy to replace. I couldn't imagine a new one costing very much if you can't get the broken screw out. I wouldn't expect DA to replace it for nothing. I see no reason to check the prop and spinner bolts every 5 flights. I tighten the prop bolts "very" tight when I install the prop and then use locktite on the spinner bolt. No need to crank it down hard. Never had either come loose. Possibly a combination of a cheap bolt and over tightening is what caused it to snap in the first place. Just a theory.

Mike
Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 PM
shogunmst
My Feedback: (3)

Huggins, the bolt I was using on the spinner was a TRU-TURN 3 1/2 inch long bolt. How hard is it to change that shaft....??
Old 10-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

FWIW, True Turn says in the instructions to tighten their spinner bolts with two finger holding the small end of the allen wrench. That's not much torque. I've been doing it this way on my TT spinners for years and have never had a bolt break or spinner come loose, no locktite either. They just don't need to be that tight.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:49 PM
huggins

ORIGINAL: shogunmst

Huggins, the bolt I was using on the spinner was a TRU-TURN 3 1/2 inch long bolt. How hard is it to change that shaft....??
All you need is a deep socket that will fit the hex of the adapter. Look down in the hub and you should be able to see the hex. You will need to put the prop bolts in and use a bar of some sort between them to prevent the hub from turning while loosening the adapter. Just be careful not to damage the hub. It should come right off.

Nogyro - I know a lot of people don't use locktite on the their spinner bolts, but I lost one off of a Saito 150 during flight one time over a corn field. It damaged the prop and I wrote both off as a loss. Funny thing is, about 2 months later a friend found it! Now I have and extra 3"er. Anyway, I started using Locktite after that and continue to do so.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:51 PM
JoeAirPort

That's the same method I use and never a problem. I gotta say though, this new 3.5 inch TT Ultimate spinner that Chief Aircraft just shipped me has one of those long bolts. It's the spinner that is factory cut for a DA50 and a Menz 24x8 (also lightened back plate). I got a little worried after reading this thread because the bolt on mine very long. I haven't run it on my DA50 yet.

ORIGINAL: Nogyro

FWIW, True Turn says in the instructions to tighten their spinner bolts with two finger holding the small end of the allen wrench. That's not much torque. I've been doing it this way on my TT spinners for years and have never had a bolt break or spinner come loose, no locktite either. They just don't need to be that tight.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

That's the same method I use and never a problem. I gotta say though, this new 3.5 inch TT Ultimate spinner that Chief Aircraft just shipped me has one of those long bolts. It's the spinner that is factory cut for a DA50 and a Menz 24x8 (also lightened back plate). I got a little worried after reading this thread because the bolt on mine very long. I haven't run it on my DA50 yet.
I must say that I've never ran the Ultimate spinner before. All mine have been the P51 style with the lightened back plate. That spinner bolt must get pretty long with the Ult. Spinner.[8D] I'm running the 3 1/2" on my DA50's, and I ran a 4" on my G-62/Giant Stinger.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:33 PM
JoeAirPort

The spinner looks cool a hell, you should see it. I finally got the cowling mounted on my BME Edge II and saw the spinner mounted. Very cool looking. Like I said I hope that bolt holds up. I wonder if the guy that started this thread had that spinner? The bolt on mine is 3.5 inches long too.

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

I must say that I've never ran the Ultimate spinner before. All mine have been the P51 style with the lightened back plate. That spinner bolt must get pretty long with the Ult. Spinner.[8D] I'm running the 3 1/2" on my DA50's, and I ran a 4" on my G-62/Giant Stinger.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your situation with the spinner bolt isn't uncommon. It's been happening with the 35 and 40% crew off and on for a long time. Using a hardened bolt will help, but not prevent the situation. If you tighten the bolt enough to deform the spinner back plate the chances of the bolt breaking increase considerably. Just snugged up is actually tight enough. Four strokers are another can of worms altogether. When they back fire, nothing stays together[:@]

Use a tiny dab of anti-sieze on the end of the bolt the first time you install it. It will help in the extraction if and when it breaks.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Use a tiny dab of anti-sieze on the end of the bolt the first time you install it. It will help in the extraction if and when it breaks.
LOL Silver, you suggest anti-sieze on the spinner bolt, and some guys are using locktite.........How's that for contrasting views.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Tired Old Man

That was the point. Using Lock-Tite on a long, unsupported bolt causes a lot of twisting force additional to that normally applied (without the Lock-Tite) to be applied to the center section of the bolt during the removal process. How many times can it be twisted before it weakens enough to snap under rotational stresses? I'm not going to guess at that number, but it has to be a finite quantity.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:47 PM
RTK

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

LOL Silver, you suggest anti-sieze on the spinner bolt, and some guys are using locktite.........How's that for contrasting views.
Does not matter if lock-tite is used, if the prop compresses the bolts will shear. The bolts are not there to keep the prop from rotating due to there shear strength, but to apply a force so friction will stop the slippage.
There are a lot of people that don't like the one stud/nut set-up, but I will guarantee you it will never shear.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: RTK

Does not matter if lock-tite is used, if the prop compresses the bolts will shear. The bolts are not there to keep the prop from rotating due to there shear strength, but to apply a force so friction will stop the slippage.
There are a lot of people that don't like the one stud/nut set-up, but I will guarantee you it will never shear.
RTK,

Uh......................we're talking about spinner bolts, not prop bolts.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:48 PM
RTK

Oops....Guess I got that old cranial rectal disease going on. I better check some of my other posts today.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Nogyro

LOL
Old 10-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Tired Old Man

Nogyro,

Thanks for catching that[&o] I'm supposed to fly with RTK tomorrow and he was going to get some serious ribbing. You spoiled my fun but saved his backside

Pat
Old 10-15-2005, 08:20 PM
RTK

You mean to tell me they aren't one in the same? Bolts is bolts right. Dang, no wonder I'm having such problems lately. Well besides my latest disease.

I'll call you later Silver
Old 10-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Nogyro

LOL, you guys kill me. Enjoy tomorrow! Be sure to check those prop bolts RTK.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:36 PM
RTK

We aim to please

I think Silver just said ribbing to be nice here (one of the few times), tomorrow I would have called it something different.