Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

bisson vs supersonic

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:38 AM
J roc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bisson vs supersonic

I bought a new zdz 80 rv-j and was going to use a bisson muffler but I read in some posts that the supersonic is less restrictive. Does anyone have any comments or data between the two. I would use an in fuse muffler but this would be too difficult on my h9 sukhoi.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: bisson vs supersonic

No data with the ZDZ-80-J model, but with the older ZDZ-80.
As for power, J&A Pitts is a little better than the Supersonic.
Both are a lot better (300-500 rpm) than the Bisson Pitts.
J&A and Supersonic are welded and are more robust construction than the Bisson.
The Bisson appears to be brazed.

The older ZDZ-80 is very sensitive to the muffler. The factory claims the new J model is not as sensitive.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:59 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Quite true that the performance of the supersonic is better than the Bisson
but of course that comes with a price. The price is noise, so in addition to the
performance issue you have to be somewhat concerned about where you fly
and how sensitive the noise issue may be. If you fly where there are no neighbors
and it doesn't bother you, go for the Supersonic. I personally find the Supersonic
sound irritating so I wouldn't use it if I was flying alone in the middle of the Sarah
but that's just me.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Flip and Fly

J roc, when you get that motor running I would be very interested to hear what RPMs it is turning with a 26-10 on a pitts type muffler, I like the Supersonic and the Bisson.

I have ZDZ 80 RV with a Bisson pitts muffler, pinched ends cut off. I like the sound of the Bisson, not offensive to me at all, more like a mellow growl. I am going to try my ZDZ 80 open stack, and then with the Bisson muffler attached, just to see what the difference is, this week. It should be a good day tomorrow to give it a try.

I also have a Supersonic mounted on my 3W 80i. It did not sound much louder to me, but that was on the ground, have not had it in the air yet. Did the same thing with that motor, muffler attached, then open stack. Not restrictive at all, on that motor!

Also the Bisson has held up well, 200 flights, and has a strap that mounts the can portion of the muffler to the fuse, good design. The Supersonic does not, but I will fabricate a strap from the smoke fitting to the fuse, so not really an issue, it is easy to do.

I also agree that the new ZDZ 80 RV-J will be less sensitive to in cowl mufflers in general, just like the new 3W 80i. The porting on these new motors has really be opened up.