Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BME G.90 gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME G.90 gas

Akschu:

Have ordered a QQ 73" yak 54 and also looking for a good gas engine for the thing. Have a ZDZ 40 in a Cap X that works out well, but a lot of motor for a 73" model. A 50 gasser seems overkill, but with my 3D skills, I need the extra get out of trouble power. Have you found a engine for yours? How is it working out. Was thinking possibly a MVVS 180, but aftaid it would be a little small. Have a ST 3000 glow thinking of getting it converted to gas, but can't find out much about this type of conversion to date. Would appreciate any info you can give on powering this great little plane on gas, poooo on glow. Thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 PM

I have ordered and received a BME G.90 Gas engine from Don's Hobby. Does anyone have any pictures of their install they could post. This is my first gas engine and I am trying to decide how to hook up the choke. I will probably just go with a manual choke and get an optical kill switch. Pictures of the install from others that have ordered this engine would be helpful.

One thing that I have come accross so far is that with the slimline pitts muffler I got the muffler sits right against the fitting that comes out the side of the engine. I am going to have to find a 90 degree fitting and replace it.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Some pictures of the choke and throttle linkage setup would be much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM
My Feedback: (77)

ANyone still here?
Pics please

and how are everyones ST G90 Gassers Doing?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

ANyone still here?
Pics please

and how are everyones ST G90 Gassers Doing?

-----------------

No experience yet, but soon. The wife and I are going on an assembly marathon this holiday weekend. We hope to get a Big Stik .60 or a Dragon Lady set up with the new BME G90 this weekend and flown the following week.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:30 AM
My Feedback: (77)

No experience yet, but soon. The wife and I are going on an assembly marathon this holiday weekend. We hope to get a Big Stik .60 or a Dragon Lady set up with the new BME G90 this weekend and flown the following week.
Artisan...That is sooo cool....You and your wife doing a marathon assembly together!!!!! Match made in heaven! I was just sharing that idea with my wife...I said...Honey...why dont we spend the 4th of July weekend and Holiday assembling some WarBirds....she laughed! I need to show her what "REAL Couples DO!" ha ha!! [sm=bananahead.gif]

Looking forward to the updates!!

Happy 4th!![sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Tomas
Old 07-01-2006, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

Artisan...That is sooo cool....You and your wife doing a marathon assembly together!!!!! Match made in heaven! I was just sharing that idea with my wife...I said...Honey...why dont we spend the 4th of July weekend and Holiday assembling some WarBirds....she laughed! I need to show her what "REAL Couples DO!" ha ha!! [sm=bananahead.gif]

Looking forward to the updates!!

Happy 4th!![sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Tomas

------------

Thanks. She is a wonderful wife. Been that way for 37 years last June.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:27 PM

Some updated information.

I got my engine running tonight. The only issues I had were probably related to this being my first gas engine. Just a word of caution on choosing a muffler for this engine if you can not use the stock muffler that comes with the ST .90.

The Pitts Muffler from Tower hobbies will not work due to it is not the Inverted Pitts Muffler. Tower Hobbies Pitts muffler is the one that allows you to install the engine on its side (engine rotated 90 degrees). The reason it will not work is because the muffler will hit against the crankcase pressure fitting that goes to the line that drives the carb pump.

I ordered the Inverted Slimline Pitts muffler and that one works great.

I had an issue getting the carb primed with gas. Keith from BME and Don from Don's Hobby Shop were a great help. I believe the only reason I had an issue is because this is my first gas engine.

As far as it runs so far so good. The factory settings seem to be ok for now until I can get it fine tuned.

I still have to finish my fiberglass cowl for the 4 Star 60 then I should be finished. I will probably also have to switch out my throttle servo. The Futaba S148 with an ems BB conversion does not seem to be returning to the same idle setting. I believe I need to get a better more precise servo so the idle always returns to the same setting.

Choke setup is just a manual linkage to the outside of the cowl. As far as ignition cutoff I have an Smart-Fly optical kill switch.

Regards,
Patrick
Old 08-04-2006, 08:19 AM

Do you guys think the BME 90 will be too heavy for the Great Planes Shoestring? It's a 60 sized plane but everyone here tells me to use a ST90 for cheap, or a 91FX for speed. I'm trying to get all my planes on gas, and I don't care about 3D on the Shoestring because well, it's not a 3D plane, I just don't want to strap a pound of lead in the tail to balance it.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:15 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Very interesting experience with this one. I purchased the G90 intending to install it in a Graupner Extra 300. Short story was I got a tremendous amount of RFI and was not able to use it on a short fuselage plane. So I decided to install it in a 60 size stick. No RFI, plenty of power, BUT.... I was completely unable to tune the carb to idle or run at top end. During the carb struggle I noticed that with enough prop wash past the carb and over the CHOKE that it was actually sucking gas out of the back side of the carb. It was blowing it all over the lower half of the right wing, and to my surprise it ran even worse in the air. I decided to remove the CHOKE and test it. I was able to use something, even my thumb, to choke the carb and get an initial pop from the engine. When I was finally able to get her running, the settings needed to leaned out considerably at both high end and low but it corrected all of the problems. I was surprised that this has not been noticed by anyone else, but the choke may need to be removed and the holes closed up in order for the engine to run as advertized. I was finally able to run her with a 13x8 MasterAirScrew prop at just over 10,600 RPM. Not unlimited verticle but certainly a strong showing.

I do wish that BME would have gotten back to me and helped. I was getting seriously pissed for a while.
That's my story, hope it will help someone, I believe it is a strong engine for a 60 size plane.

Good Luck Folks.....
Old 08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Water boy,
Servos in the tail should help balance.

Dave
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Sounds like your numbers are just a little shy of what Keith posted when he first introduced this engine.

Posted on 1/10/2006
We have also developed a gas version of the .51 Supertigre and the 2300. They dont run hot at 50:1 mix and I challenge you to wear one out. The .90 turns a 13x6 APC at 12,500 -12,800 rpm on gasoline and stock Supertigre muffler.

Keith
BME
Here's that thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37..._1/key_/tm.htm

Your 2000RPM shy of the posted RPM--maybe it just needs breaking in. I haven't seen too many engines gain 2000 RPM after break in. Actually, I've never seen ANY engine gain that many RPM after break in.

--------------

So, you expect a customer, with no previous experience, to replicate Keith's claims with his best sample engine, BEFORE the customer's engine has been broken-in?

I don't understand your attitude.
2000RPM is a HUGE difference betweem what the manufacturer claims and real world numbers.

I don't care how you break it in or what you do to it--that engine will never gain 2000RPM. Not even close.

Just pointing out that here is another manufacturer/distributor that inflates the numbers to sell a product, and for some reason people are willing to look the other way.

It's new, it's expensive--must be good? Never mind the fact that it doesn't crank out like the manuf. clamis.

Just like advertised airplane weights. We all know they are BS, yet we continue to buy the planes and just live with it.

If we would hold these manufacturers accountable and DEMAND real numbers--we'd be beter informed and better off in the long wrong.

It's false advertising--plain and simple. It's not allowed in any other industry that I can think of--off the top of my head. Yet, we continue to buy the products, and live with the shortcomings.

Thats my attitude. Not trying to start a fight--just pointing out another obvious--at least to me--case of false advertising. No one cares, and when I point it out--people like yourself--actually attack me for it.

Whats wrong with demanding the truth from these manufacturers?

--------------

Sorry for the late, late, late response. If it is down 2k rpm, I would be prone to suspect that something isn't right somewhere. Wouldn't you? The timing could be grossly out because of a defective chip, the carb could be plugged up and not delivering enough fuel, etc. I'm assuming that we are talking about just one sample, although multiple samples could share a similar problem too.

I agree with you that false advertising should be nipped in the bud. I'm just not convinced that this is the case in this instance.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:12 PM

How many ma battery does it take to run this engines igniton and for how long?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 PM

I make up my own battery packs from Duracell 2400 mah NIMH batteries. I can fly all day on a charge.
For info, my G90 is in a 9lb. Edge 540 64" ws. It has more than enough power for the Edge. I'm using the Slimline inverted muffler on it.
My only complaint with this engine, is that the carb keeps falling off. I've put it back on and retightened it at least 4 or 5 times. I've ordered a new carb adapter and carb retainer. the original one looks pretty deformed from all that retightening. I'm not sure why this started happening, but it seems to me thst a carb this big should be held on with something more substantial than a little 1/8 shaft.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:57 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Keith,

I have a NIB, never ran Italian made ST 90. Do you take these in for conversion or know anyone who does? Appreciate any help.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:43 PM

Re: carb problem, I contacted Keith at BME and he said he hasn't heard of any such problems. He said he will ship the parts I need today. Great customer support!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: retnavycdr

Keith: Thanks for all the tips and information on the BME-STE-90. As soon as we get some decent weather here I will get the HL Senior Telemaster ARF and 90 gasser up for some floating around the ranch. I would like to get some aerial pictures, both still and video. Thanks for the help.
I hate to archive old threads.....but I didnt see where you had posted your results with the BME 90 on the Senior Telemaster. Did it work OK for you? plenty of power?

thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
My Feedback: (190)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave: I beefed up the HL Sr. Telemaster, especially in the area of the wooden engine mounts (I think they designed it for electric). First of all, I pinned the mounts with thin, long wood screws and thick toothpicks, both in front and in back of the firewall. Then I got some aluminum stock and made braces, very similar to the way the Great Planes Giant Big Stik comes in the box. This makes the entire engine area very much sturdier and LESS WORRISOME for me!!!! Everything fit easily, the throttle servo, the ignition module, the ignition battery, etc. I moved the fuel tank back towards the CG. Power is great, even at 5,000 feet. I have yet to shot any video with it, but will bably be doing so in the Spring. I have had some health problems, and have also been trying to sell my stable business, land, and house, and this takes a LOT of time. Roger
Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 PM

I am thinking of using two of these engines for my kmp b25 the weight around 20 lb. The spec motor they are calling for are two 61 two cycle or two 70 four strokes. Does anyone have a doubt if two of these will fly a 20lb B25 or how do you think the power of the BME 90 compares to a 70 four stroke.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 11:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Just got a Hangar ( Sopwith Camel ARF) how about the BME G 90 for power. Don,t want 3 d performance, just scale like flight. also what muffler would work. Don,t want the stock muffler. What do you think?
Old 11-11-2006, 04:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Nitro Dew

Keith,

I have a NIB, never ran Italian made ST 90. Do you take these in for conversion or know anyone who does? Appreciate any help.

------------------

I haven't heard of such a thing being offered by BME. But the only way to know for sure is to talk to them.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-11-2006, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Just got a Hangar ( Sopwith Camel ARF) how about the BME G 90 for power. Don,t want 3 d performance, just scale like flight. also what muffler would work. Don,t want the stock muffler. What do you think?
I think it would work good. I'd use a Bisson Pitts muffler.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:13 AM

Picked up the Sr. Telemaster today from HL for $135. Really thinking about this motor now for the telemaster. If not, it will be the only plane that I own that is on glow.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:57 AM
My Feedback: (62)

Exact same plane I'm putting my ST90 in. We'll have to compare notes. Have you put any thought into servo placement yet?
Old 11-25-2006, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

Exact same plane I'm putting my ST90 in. We'll have to compare notes. Have you put any thought into servo placement yet?
hey Birddog, do you have a rpm numbers yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.