Best Clunk Setup???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Clunk Setup???

Hi all,

I'm setting up my first gasser, A Texas Hurricane ARF w/ a Brison 2.4, and was wondering what is the best clunk set-up. I tried a piece of tygon and the standard clunk that comes in a Dubro 20 oz tank, but it just isn't flexible enough. Should I go with a heavy clunk and Tygon or neoprene and the standard clunk? One person I talked to suggested a felt pick-up from a weed wacker or similar piece of small eqiupment. Has any one tried that? Are gassers very sensitive to going lean if the clunk isn't always submerged?

Thanks
FF
Old 03-14-2006, 07:04 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Best Clunk Setup???

I use fuel line I got from Airwild I believe it is called Aerotrend fuel tubing it is more flexible than tygon and works well. but I have also had tygon in several planes with no trouble. but either way you should replace it yearly they tend to get hard and brittle after a while. and yes use a large clunk
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the black flexible stuff. It's the best clunk line out there. Just make sure to divide the clunk line in two by putting a short piece of brass tubing in the middle. That's because this stuff is so flexible it could end up stuck at the front of the tank if you use a really heavy clunk (most people use the large one on these tank setups). If you put the extra piece of brass tubing in the middle it will be fine.

http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...ct_Code=HAY249
Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 PM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

I am in the middle of changing my 3 gassers over to the Hayes neoprene just like Joe Airport is talking about. Bill
Old 03-14-2006, 11:35 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, I have to confess that I need to convert my BME Edge 30% to that system too. At first I had the Hayes stuff without the piece of brass tubing in the middle and the clunk would go to the front of the tank when I turned the tank upside down (every time). So I used the Tygon for the first 4 flights. Now I need to go back and put the black stuff back in (and do it right this time).
Old 03-14-2006, 11:39 PM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

It's always more fun to do something at least 2 or 3 times.
I haven't had the chance to run the new neoprene yet. Still a little too cold or windy or..or..or Bill
Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcbill
It's always more fun to do something at least 2 or 3 times.
[sm=lol.gif]

I've been using DuBro neoprene with a standard weight clunk that comes with the DuBro tanks. No problems so far.

I did learn the tygon lesson the hard way. I never new that it would get stiff over time. Mine became unflexible and then it slid off the brass tube. DEADSTICK about 2 minutes into a flight.

Whats dat funny sound in the tank? Somfin rattlin' round in there. DOH!! Howd dat happen? [:-]

Been using neoprene ever since. I don't know how long it lasts. Never had a plane last more than a couple seasons before I stuffed it.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 AM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

I am using a 20oz Dubro tank in my Giant Stick with Tygon line and the Walbro fiber filter clunk. Works like a charm for me so I don't think that the clunk being partially out of fuel at times is a problem. I can pretty much run the tank out and haven't noticed any problems using the fiber filter clunk. It is also fairly heavy and the Tygon line fits very tight. I soldered fuel barbs to the brass tank tubes.

Like I said, works fine for me. I think the clunks cost about $3.25 at one of the local Lawn and Garden shops (NOT a Lowes or Home Depot type).

my .02 on this one.

Dan
Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use snowmobile primer line and weedwacker clunk with the felt filters. I tried Tygon but found it goes hard after about a year. The primer line doesn't.