Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 50 problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 PM
tiktock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA 50 problems

two more things that i've noticed. the clunk tubing was very loose on the brass tube, i wonder if the engine is sucking some air when it's trying to get fuel?
another thing is that where the muffler meets the engine, there are some black oil stains. I'm going to put a gasket between the muffler and the engine to see if it stops the leakage.
if the engine is overheating, could it be because of the needle setting?
and what causes the engine to stop mid air after few minutes? if the engine is over heating in the air, it has to be the needle or something else?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: tiktock

two more things that i've noticed. the clunk tubing was very loose on the brass tube, i wonder if the engine is sucking some air when it's trying to get fuel?
another thing is that where the muffler meets the engine, there are some black oil stains. I'm going to put a gasket between the muffler and the engine to see if it stops the leakage.
if the engine is overheating, could it be because of the needle setting?
and what causes the engine to stop mid air after few minutes? if the engine is over heating in the air, it has to be the needle or something else?
If the tubing was loose on the brass tube, that could very well be why it was quiting after a few minutes in the air.
Normally if your needles are set too lean, the engine will sag before it quits.....

Gaskets don't work very well for the muffler. Clean it up real good, whip it down with alcohol, and use either high temp red Permatex, or the Ultra Copper Permatex.... Put a dab on your muffler bolts as well.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the ignition module box in your airplan is wrapped with foam.

I did that for a long time and have the same problem you experienced. Recycling ig. battery helped a little bit. After I re-installed the module (with only a piece of foam between the module and the firewall), the problem is gone completely. Looks like preventing the module box from cooling quickly is the main cause of the problem.

--qc
Old 04-25-2006, 09:06 PM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

The ignition module went bad on my DA 50 before it ever had a flight on it. The module was never wrapped in foam and was in the open air and never even had a chance to get warm. I did not have the cowl on the engine. I built and engine stand and tested everything there. I thought it was my imagination when sometimes the engine would quit and I would check and there was spark and sometimes there was not. Called DA and they had me send it in. I have it back and mounted on the plane with the new module. It definitely starts and idles better. It has not seen its first flight yet but am expecting to put it up sometime this week or next week. Bill
Old 05-02-2006, 03:48 PM
bluethunder8000

hi guys my wonder might be little off subject you r discussing here but as we have experts here for DA50 which i'm expect to recieve it in few weeks , i wonder do anyone know what is the max run time you can use this engine while inflight ??
bluethunder8000
Old 05-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

UHH, until you run out of gas
Old 05-02-2006, 05:20 PM
bluethunder8000

hi RCIGN1 , well gas is not my concern my friend here have gasstation but what i mean i just wonder if it might overheated after certain runing time and quits ?do you or any other friend you know fly his DA more than 1 or more hrs ?? do you have any idea about the diferent fuel flow @ diferent RPMs ???
i know it might be tough question but i need your thoughts here
bluethunder8000
Old 05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you mean with unlimited fuel and ignition battery capacity? You could fly until the plug fouled if you tune the engine properly. If it's too lean and quits after 20 minutes it's tuned wrong. Tune it right, keep it cool, and it can run all day.

By the way, sometimes I fuel my DA 50 up right after I land and I go up again. I do that for 3 flights in a row. no problem at all. That's 30 to 45 minutes right there.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 AM
rcbrewski

HI can you tell me how the guy at your field solved his problem with the engine quitting at landings or when he suddenley moves it. i have the same problem and cant solve it . thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Send it back to DA, they have been there and done that...About 15,000 engines ago....
Old 05-30-2011, 11:38 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quitting could be due to the fact that the engine has not been broken in yet. You could set the idle a little bit high initially.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:49 AM
rcbrewski

Thanks , i did send it back to DA about 2 years ago and came back the same and tryed to live with it but getting worse . i will call them again , maybe they over looked something . thank you for your response.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bluethunder8000

hi RCIGN1 , well gas is not my concern my friend here have gasstation but what i mean i just wonder if it might overheated after certain runing time and quits ?do you or any other friend you know fly his DA more than 1 or more hrs ?? do you have any idea about the diferent fuel flow @ diferent RPMs ???
i know it might be tough question but i need your thoughts here
bluethunder8000
bluethunder8000,

The only limit on the amount of time an engine can be run is done by the size of the gas tank. Many thousands of 3w and DA engines have been flown for periods longer than 14 hours at a time, all the way up to 23 hours continuous with some models. How you set up your engine, the cooling air flow, hot air exhausting, and the fuel tank size will establish how long the engine can be run. In other words, how long is completely dependant on how well you know what you are doing, and how much you know about how installation and set up should be done.

The DA 50 is no different from any other well made engine in this respect. If the user sets it up correctly it will run continuously as long as the user wants it to. For continuous running I would limit that period to 50 hours to handle spark plug changes.