Brillelli 25GT on a CMP Giles-202

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:18 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli 25GT on a CMP Giles-202

Larry,

I have never been a fan of V-stacks, especially, if I am venting the atmospheric preasure into the fuse. I have no data to prove it's better... I always take the v-stacks off. What fuel/oil mix are you using? The 'goo'... what is the color? Is it real dark? or is it 'oil' color?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its OK to run 2 stroke engines at full throttle.....that is if you are running them on the rich side. Running a engine at any speed too lean is what is bad for them. With most flights the speed is up and down and (RPM) then varies quite a bit. Good Luck Capt,n
Old 06-21-2006, 06:09 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

frieshoo, the goo is black and hard to clean off. The only way I have found to remove it is with gasoline. I have three gassers and all put out this goo until they were well run in. This goo comes out the exhaust. On the other side, a light film of oil comes out the carb and accumulates on the wing, top and bottom. However, this light film of oil is not dirty and wipes off easily.

The reason I asked about the velocity stack, I have not cut the cowl on my new plane yet; I'm still using the one from the crashed plane. Amazingly, it was not destroyed (but it is banged up). I thought I'd wait until I am satisfied with the plane/engine performance before putting on the new cowl and if I could get by without cutting it that would be even better. That will not be an option as I need to be able to choke the engine by plugging the velocity stack.

Larry

Old 06-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same thing on my 25cc. Little black spots on the exhaust side and a little mess on the wing. Just thought it was due to being new.
ORIGINAL: ljones5000

frieshoo, the goo is black and hard to clean off. The only way I have found to remove it is with gasoline. I have three gassers and all put out this goo until they were well run in. This goo comes out the exhaust. On the other side, a light film of oil comes out the carb and accumulates on the wing, top and bottom. However, this light film of oil is not dirty and wipes off easily.

The reason I asked about the velocity stack, I have not cut the cowl on my new plane yet; I'm still using the one from the crashed plane. Amazingly, it was not destroyed (but it is banged up). I thought I'd wait until I am satisfied with the plane/engine performance before putting on the new cowl and if I could get by without cutting it that would be even better. That will not be an option as I need to be able to choke the engine by plugging the velocity stack.

Larry

Old 06-21-2006, 09:51 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

As the motor wears in the black goo will gradually disappear. The oily film on the other side of the fuse is caused by fuel mist spitting via the carb throat which can be reduced or eliminated by fitting a 'V'stack.

Karol
Old 06-21-2006, 09:01 PM
captinjohn

Zippi: How many flights have you got on your Giles 202 now? What oil are mixing in the fuel? Thanks Capt,n
Old 06-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Zippi

I have about 12-15 flights on the Giles and I'm using Pennzoil at 50:1.
ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Zippi: How many flights have you got on your Giles 202 now? What oil are mixing in the fuel? Thanks Capt,n
Old 06-23-2006, 09:33 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

CaptinJohn:

I have about 20 flight on my Giles-202 with a Brillelli engine and I am using Opti-2 2 cycle oil witch comes out to 70 to1 and I have not had any trouble. I am using this oil on both of my 26GT engines and they are running great. My small engine shop here in Millington, TN swears buy this stuff. He told me he has never had and engine seize up using this oil. I have been using this Opti-2 oil for 5 years now is all of my 2 stroke gas engines and never has a failure yet. It is one mix for all 2 stroke engines no matter who makes them. here is the web site if you would like to take a look.

http://www.opti2-4.com/
Old 06-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Zippi

Jim, have you flown your Giles 202 again? I flew my Laser 200 today just to shake some of the dust off. One of the guys at the field today made the comment that I never keep a plane more than 6 months, just long enough to fly the new off of it and was wondering if I had a time frame in mind on the Giles 202. I told him "Not on this baby" I'm having to much fun with the Giles 202 and my baby gasser . A good friend of mine said, you better keep and eye on Ole Zippi and his planes, he's a quality builder and gives good deals. I told him that if he wants a good deal go to www.scottellingson.com. Anyone heard anything about the new Cox Bipe?

Scott, you and Mark are building a good business up with all these engines. Are you planning on creating any decals to go along with your engine especially since you'll have your own engines online shortly?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Jim and Zippi, i just started running my 25GT today. It is mounted in the Stearman, tied down to a test stand. Plan on running her awhile on the stand before the maiden flight. Haven't even gone through the first tank of fuel and she's turning a 16x6 at 8600. This is one sweet running engine, I couldn't measure thrust, but I can tell it is going to pull the Stearman just fine.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Zippi

Sounds like a winner Bob. We like videos here so get plenty . That Stearman is a nice plane and should fly great with the 25cc.
ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

Jim and Zippi, i just started running my 25GT today. It is mounted in the Stearman, tied down to a test stand. Plan on running her awhile on the stand before the maiden flight. Haven't even gone through the first tank of fuel and she's turning a 16x6 at 8600. This is one sweet running engine, I couldn't measure thrust, but I can tell it is going to pull the Stearman just fine.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 PM
captinjohn

Where are all the other Giles 202 owners that posted on here some time ago? Come on Guys...We need a airplane/pilot count. I hope all are fly-able yet! Capt,n
Old 06-24-2006, 06:37 AM
ljones5000

Here's what mine's on. Actually, this plane was crashed but I got another one just like it.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87291.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	481922  
Old 06-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Zippi

My plane is still air worthy and just love the sound of the engine. How about the Brillelli Boyz? Are you flying what you build? Show us what you got guys.

Name:	Om32864.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	481923  
Old 06-24-2006, 07:16 AM
ljones5000

Zippi, it's almost too hot to exist at the field the past week or two but I am going out this morning before it gets any hotter. Day before yesterday I took my Edge out and the engine really ran good, turned 8400rpm, ran great in the air. It is plenty of power for this plane the way I fly. I don't 3D and when I extreme fly, it's only by accident, ha. Finally, I am getting to the end of the black goo stage. My engine idles fine but I keep it in the 2500rpm range on low idle. I guess a small engine will not idle down like a larger one, my 4.2 idles around 12 or 1300, best I recall.

Have a good day.

Larry
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 AM
jstanton

Zippi,

I flew my Giles-202 over the weekend and she was back and flying great until a guy at the field made me a offer on the engine I could not pass up. I told him about Scott and Mark at Brillelli, but he was in a hurry to get a gas engine for a plane has has and did not want to wait for one to be built and delivered. I sold him the engine and took it off of the plane right at the field. I have just ordered a Brillelli 40GT engine from Scott and I'll install that on the Giles. It will be about a month before she is flying again but fly she will. Scott said the 40GT will hover the Giles. I am not a 3D flyer but I always like the little extra power.

Here is a pic of my Giles 202 and I love this plane.

Name:	Ki18142.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	482941  
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Zippi

Jim, thats probably what I should have done in the first place is put a little bigger engine on it. Being new to gas I wasn't sure about the power and was going off of what you and some others were posting in the beginning. Now that I know what I'm looking for in power and a plane I'll get the correct setup next time. I'm jealous of you and that 40cc your waiting on . Can't wait to see a video of how it will pull the Giles around.
ORIGINAL: jstanton

Zippi,

I flew my Giles-202 over the weekend and she was back and flying great until a guy at the field made me a offer on the engine I could not pass up. I told him about Scott and Mark at Brillelli, but he was in a hurry to get a gas engine for a plane has has and did not want to wait for one to be built and delivered. I sold him the engine and took it off of the plane right at the field. I have just ordered a Brillelli 40GT engine from Scott and I'll install that on the Giles. It will be about a month before she is flying again but fly she will. Scott said the 40GT will hover the Giles. I am not a 3D flyer but I always like the little extra power.

Here is a pic of my Giles 202 and I love this plane.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM
jstanton

[quote]ORIGINAL: Zippi

Jim, thats probably what I should have done in the first place is put a little bigger engine on it. Being new to gas I wasn't sure about the power and was going off of what you and some others were posting in the beginning. Now that I know what I'm looking for in power and a plane I'll get the correct setup next time. I'm jealous of you and that 40cc your waiting on . Can't wait to see a video of how it will pull the Giles around.
[quote]ORIGINAL: jstanton

Zippi,

I was very happy with the 25GT engine on my Giles because I am not into 3D. Just lazy loops, Rolls, a few knife edges and a hammer head here and there. My Brillelli 25GT did all of these very nicely, but the guy at the field just had to have this engine so I gave him a price and he said OK. I was really thinking about the new Brillelli 26SS engine than I read a post about the Brillelli 40GT going on a Stearman and I thought that engine would be a little more versatile than the 26ss. I would have many more chooses to put it one after the Giles-202. Scott said I should be able to hover the Giles with the new 40, but I know I won't be doing that. I'll have Bob take some video when the Giles-202 with the new 40GT is ready to fly again.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Sorry to revive an old thread - but I'm just done with the first gallon on my 26SS - what kind of RPM figure have you guys been seeing from yours once you got a good amount of runtime on yours?

I had a carb problem that Scott took care of, and I flew it last weekend after setting the low end - just didn't seem to have the high end pull that I know I had seen out of the engine before. Unfortunately, I had to pack up and leave after 2 flights and I didn't mess with the needles there @ the field.

I tached the engine today (APC 17x6) and it was only turning 7800-ish. I leans the HN an eighth and was into the 8400-8500 range. This was all on an overcast day that was quickly turning to dusk, so I'm not 100% faithful of my tach's readings - and after a nother small turn the tach was showing 9800-11,000. I am doubting the tach due to lack of ambient light at this point - will run it some more tomorrow. The color of the plug has turned from a dark brown with some black to light tan with just a touch of grey on one little spot.

If this thing is really turning 10K and little sign of a lean run, I have a Xoar 17x6, and APC 17x8 waiting to try out.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Zippi

adrenalnjunky,

I'm still flying my GSP Giles 202 with the brillelli 26cc. I'm not really sure how much fuel I have through it but I am also running an APC 17X6 prop and the rpm's seem to stay aroung 8400 rpm. Cold weather has set in so I'll have to wait intil next Spring to get some more fuel through it and my QQ YAK 54 with the Brillellii 40cc GT is waiting for the maiden flight this spring also.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:16 PM
captinjohn

Dont,t give up yet Zippi.....its possible to get a few warm days yet this November in Indiana! Capt,n
Old 11-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Zippi

captinjohn,

I haven't pulled the batteries yet and covered it up. I'm still hoping for one last shot . Or maybe I should just let it go and hope for an early Spring . I plan on selling it this Spring since I've moved up to 40cc & 50cc, Nice flying plane, just like the bigger ones better.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:55 AM
ljones5000

I still fly my WH "Baby" Edge with 25GT, the engine runs great, no more goo since break in and it tachs 8300+ with Mejzlik 16X8. Only problem I have is getting it to land with idle, it still dies half the time. Idles good on the ground but can't keep it running on final.

Larry
Old 11-15-2006, 08:05 AM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

what kind of idle RPM are you getting on the ground? Mine was settling in about 2400 - but I also found an issue with my throttle linkage last night that wasn't allowing me to compltely shut the butterfly.

I'm wondering of adding the syncro spark to the CH ignition would retard the timing at idle and smooth a lower idle out on these engines.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:25 AM
GJAUBIN
My Feedback: (9)

Morning Zippi, Just ordered this plane and was going to ask you guys about the 25GT setup. Sounds like you had wished you had gone bigger. Is this correct? What did you have to do for balancing with we 25GT? I was thinking the 40 may be too large but am now reconsidering after reading the last few posts.

I was debating between the 26SS from Scott (have one for a CMP Hellcat, but that's another bird entirely) or a Venom 30CC from Copperhead Aviation. Now I may have to add the 40GT to the equation. Decisions...Decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.