Brillelli Boyz

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brillelli Boyz

Skinny Bob,

Are you referring to a mag engine? This little 26cc has EI.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:32 PM
water.boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zippi, I think he's talking about the magnet that sits in the flywheel ring (behind the prop hub) and rotates under the EI pickup. I had buddy that had his come out and Scott took care of it.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Zippi

water.boy,

I looked at my 40cc in the box and I think I see what your referring to. I'll have to wait and pull the cowl to see on the 26cc. Is this something Scott has to put back on or is it just a screw holding it on?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Well, since Sturtz is also a flying buddy, and we fly together, and he has Brillelli's and has been a cheerleader since I got s/n 2 of the Brilleilli 60, I feel I owe it to everyone to give the "update".

1. This motor is an absolute HOSS. Tonight (overcoming my own objections to the contrary), another flying buddy measured my Brillelli IMMEDIATELY post landing, and following a 20 second full-power run at 90* to the wind. Plenty hot. NX 23 x 8 turned solid 6600, maybe a little more, and temps at shutdown were between 170 and 190, depending on where the laser temp gun was pointed.

2. After choke burp, this motor starts on flip #7. Not really "flip", more of a "slap" (but not hard) through TDC. And then it never misses.

3. This setup, with a full 24 oz smoke, smoke battery, and TME system weighs nearly 19.5 lbs at full wet takeoff weight..... and it will pull dead straight vertical and fly out of sight, never slowing, always rolling (if I want)....and never misses.

OTHER people who have 50cc motors and wish they had a "little more" NEED to contact Scott and get on the list.... this motor is DEFINITELY a keeper, and I am VERY glad to have it.

(Sturtz can attest to these statements - he's been there every time I've had this one out!!!)
Old 09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Bob, please come back to the pattern side. We need you there too! We all miss the ever popular experimenting and thinking outside the box of "McGyver Bob"
Old 09-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Zippi, water.boy has it right. I didn't explain it very well. If that little bugger comes out you have no more ignition, like shutting off the switch. Good luck, you have been having more then your share of bad luck.

Later
Skinny Bob

Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

Fellas,

Without reading this entire thread, can anyone tell me which Brillelli engine would be most suitable for a Hangar 9 P-51 1.5? Does anyone out there have one (or know someone that does have one) in this Mustang? It seems like it will be a tight fit for a gas engine in that engine compartment. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Zippi

Skinny Bob,

Thanks for the input. Scott said that you had this problem. I'll check it out this weekend. Just not much time during the week.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

Here is a link to video of the 60cc flying a 17.5lb Christen Eagle. [link=http://www.scottellingson.com/brillelli_004.htm]CE Video[/link]
Old 09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Zippi

Scott,

You guys are just having to much fun with this new engine . Were you the one behind the camera and was that Marks Christen Eagle?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Scott Ellingson

That was me taking video. I need practice at that. It was marks CE. Tony Bjerke was the pilot. He is awsome. He never flew a CE or Pitts before so he did very well with a plane that is not made for 3D.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Here's AeroBob's home sick angel rolling skyward with gobs of UPWARD to spare. Pic could have been better but I forgot to switch the zoom focus.
And that was the maiden flight. Every flight afterwards the engine just keeps getting stronger and sounding fuller.
Bob would tweek the high end a click and go back up putting the plane and engine to all the tests.
The plane will now hide itself in a smoke cloud when he switches on the show juice during torque rolls and tumbles.
The sound coming from the 60cc in that big Yak cowl is simply awesome !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22571.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	523276  
Old 09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
GMoneyPit

No takers on the P-51 1.5 engine recommendation?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Gary how much does it weigh and whats the wing span?

I would think a Brillelli 40 should get the desired scale effect with a little power to boot.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
GMoneyPit

sinergy,

Most people's have been coming in around 14-15 lbs with engines such as Saito 2.00, Saito 1.80, OS 1.60, and similar. The wingspan is 77". It can be seen [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1334]HERE[/link]. I think you're right, the 26 probably isn't enough.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 09-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Jake Ruddy

ya def want the 40 in there. 26 will fly it but you probably wont be happy with it.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Zippi

Looks like Skinny Bob & water.boy hit it right on the money. The little magnet that mates up to the Hall Sensor did in deed come out and was still inside the case. Once again customer service kicks in and Scott is on top of it with a fix. I gotta tell ya, if you don't buy Brillelli you just don't wont to get your moneys worth.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Alright fellas, looking for guesses/opinions on how my set up is going to perform - I'm going to finally madien my 27% CA Extra (84" wing) this weekend. Can't freaking wait.

I have the 46GT with EI turning a 22 x 8 NX. The plane was expected to come in between 15 - 16#, but I have the tendancy to overbuild everything I touch so I wound up at about 16.5# (don't even have a spinner for it yet and at that weight, it may not get one ). I'm not looking for 3D but rather will use the plane for learning IMAC type aerobatics. Hopefully it'll pull well in uplines.

Any guesses as to the performance and power I might expect? This is my first giant scale/gas so I'm relatively clueless.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Jake Ruddy

Well I dont have any expereience with that plane it looks like it has more wing area then a 25% GP Patty. Weight wise I think the motor will do fine for what you are trying to fly. Verticle should be suitable as well.

I think with the bigger wing at that weight you will have a floater... however at a cf tube light batteries and maybe a lighter gear and it will be night and day difference.

If this is your first big gasser I would double check your rates... you have to remember with a bigger plane you cant be banging around the el. with too much throw or you will stall it. Read what the manual says and don't madian it thinking I can do this no problems on high rates.

Other than that I think you will come home with a smile on your face
Old 09-17-2006, 11:55 AM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Well, no maiden - I couldn't get a range check. I posted this in Giant Scale, but I thought I'd throw it out here since it is a Brillelli motor. Any advice would be appreciated.

I followed all the precautionary measures I've read about to help eliminate EFI, but apparently I lost that battle. I can get a great range check with the engine not running, when the engine is running I can't get more than 15 feet away before everything starts jumping - this happens only when I walk away from the plane on either side or the rear. When I walk out from the front of the plane and stay directly in front of it, I can get 75 - 100' away before chatter begins. The antenna is running out the top of the plane to the rudder. (It didn't like it inside the plane at all - couldn't get more then a couple feet away.) I tried two of the same Rx's which I flew both in another plane fine. So I'm convinced it's not the Rx or antenna.

Here's what's in the plane:

Plane: 27% CA Extra
Engine: Brillelli 46GTEI (Ignition module mounted in front of the firewall)
Switches: Cermark HD, one for EI, one for Rx spaced 15" apart
Batteries: NoBS NiMh - 1400 on ign mounted just behind firewall, 3200 on Rx mounted just behind wing tube socket (batteries are 11" apart, any Rx wiring is at least 14" from any EI wiring)
Servos: Hitec 5645s all around
SmartFly Eqaualizer II splitting elevator servos (24" HD twisted extensions feeding both elevator servos in rear)
Rx: Futaba FPR127DF
6" HD twisted servo extensions feeding ailerons
No choke servo
Throttle servo is located back by the Rx, linkage is Sullivan graphite Nyrod
No metal to metal connections on any servo or linkage (except choke)
Choke control: short piece of 440 metal rod coming through the side of the cowl, connection to choke is all metal (could this be acting as a EFI antenna?)
Kevlar on the pull pull

I'm rather frustrated though - good weather is winding down and I can't fly a plane I've put more than a year's work into - its' DONE but I can't fly it. [:@]

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any advice.
Bob
Old 09-17-2006, 07:50 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Bob
Remove the choke fittings and see what happens
If that doesn't do ti then send your ignition in for a Bosch cap.
Ask Zippi about how the Bosch works....
Old 09-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Jake Ruddy

You can not have metal to metal anywhere... choke setup has to go
Old 09-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Zippi

flymeaway,

These guys are on top of it. Believe me when they say "!No Metal To Metal Contact". I had to learn the hard way. The Bosch cap is great. It eliminates the ground strap and has a nice clamp provided. Thats what solved my glitches and I had enough of them. When I ordered my 40cc I had scott put the Bosch cap on it as well.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Scott Ellingson

Gary,

PM jstanton. Someone at his field has that plane with our 46 in it. He got it to fit pretty well. It has the power you will want. A 40 would be a little low on power I think. The 46 would bring it to life.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Gary ,

Here is a video of Topflites Giant P-51 with a Brillelli 46 engine. This plane has the 46 with the magneto on it so it is a little heavier than one with EI. The 46GT flies this plane very nicely. This was the maiden flight so the video is not very long, but you can see how well the Brillelli 46 does on this plane. Good Luck.

http://media.putfile.com/Brillelli-46cc---P-51-Mustang-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.