Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 cycle oil debate

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Your ALL wrong!!

I've been running bacon grease in one my engines for 2 quarts and thus far, not a single problem. I'm convinced and nuthin' any of you so called "experts" and friends of said "experts" is going to change my mind. I just bought this engine and, while the manufacturer is Polish, I am going to to follow his every word about the oil recommendation and ratio of 5:1 in my $3592.58 motor. After all, who better than the manufacturer to know exactly what kind and ratio of oil to use in my precious engine?

BTW--this is my first gas engine and I'm more of an "expert" than any of you guys with your stupid Zenoahs and DA and ZDZ engines. Your all idiots and I'll be flying this engine for the next 50 years if I live that long.

There!! Now you can all listen to my advice and quit argueing about oil. BACON GREASE!! It puts the PIG in your engine.

[sm=lol.gif]

I can confidently say you will screw up your engine. You need to break it in on Bear Fat BEFORE going to the bacon grease.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I was thinking more on the line of Mutton Tallow is easier to obtain than Bear Fat .Grind up a few Pinto beans and have the best of both worlds Sheep oil ummmmmmmmmmm good stuff
Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I just finished reading the article and they did state that the due to the additive packages, you should run the oil/gas ratio at the one recommended by the oil MFG. Running too much or too few additives will cause problems and changes in your results. As we know the additives increase lubrication and decrease deposits. It seems that the caster didn't have any additives so they were just testing the lubrication, power and temperature benefits of caster. If we use another base stock then the additive package is what will determine the mix ratio of the oil!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Its common sense guys ,,, if Amsoil or whoever says mix it at 100:1 then mix the *(&* oil at 100:1,,
Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jongurley

Its common sense guys ,,, if Amsoil or whoever says mix it at 100:1 then mix the *(&* oil at 100:1,,
I have a picture of a bottle of Amsoil that I have post here on RCU many times, it states to use richer mixtures of 50:1 or 80:1 for industrial or racing applications. Amsoil Saber 100:1 premix.......... Other oils I would not deviate from recommendations, but Amsoils are pretty wide.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Antique

And if someone like Silversurfer, who has more HOURS flying with engines than most of us will fly in a lifetime, says Amsoil won't cut it, you just might want to give his advice some credence...
Same goes for rcbugman, who tested engines for many hours and reported the results you have seen here...
Old 10-17-2006, 11:13 AM
RTK

Ralph, That is why I am trying a couple of different oils Although I never had any problems with Amsoil at 70:1, I do listen to the people with more experience. I have to do a lot of listening
Old 10-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Im trying some beach sand today
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use the white - better - more consistant grit ----
Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

RCIGN!,,,,,,,,,, so the biggest model airplane performance engine company in the United States reccomends AMSOIL 100:1 but we shouldn't listen to them we should listen to someone who has some "credence" OK<< that sounds right, [sm=tired.gif]
Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time I never know what Oil/Mixture I'm using in my engines. When I go to the field, I just use what ever someone has mixed up in their gas can. My engine's seem to run the same, (most of the time) and you just can't beat the price.[sm=wink_smile.gif] Bob
Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Bob Laine

Wasn't that long ago they recommended pennsoil.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Grin... What a hoot !!! And all I ask is where is RCbugmans thread... Another grin about here...Brian Smith
PS.. Anyone try fish oil yet??
Old 10-17-2006, 12:45 PM
RTK

I think I going to switch to Bob's oil preference from now on

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

Most of the time I never know what Oil/Mixture I'm using in my engines. When I go to the field, I just use what ever someone has mixed up in their gas can. My engine's seem to run the same, (most of the time) and you just can't beat the price.[sm=wink_smile.gif] Bob
Old 10-17-2006, 01:40 PM
gblas777
My Feedback: (13)

my 2 cents worth. i run all my engines on motul grand prix 2t special comp oil at 80/1. full synthetic been running it for years on my airplanes and my weed eater and blower. one can serves them all. and all engines still look like they are new off the showroom floor. brisons for the a/c.. echo for the lawn equip. all engines were run at this ratio from day one. and run better with time. thats my combo and i am sticking with it.
RCIGN and silversurfer.... 2 people on here that know.....listen to them!!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

use the white - better - more consistant grit ----
Waaay ahead of ya..Im having some flown in from an exotic desert island..
Old 10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Antique

Building thousands of engines is not a guarantee that a company knows it all...Remember the four cylinder Chevy Vega with a cast iron head/aluminum block or the converted to diesel V8s ? Early Mazda rotary ? Or maybe the East German Wartburg or Russian Trabant two strokes...How about the Yugo ?
DA does not have a lock on two stroke engine technology...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: jongurley

RCIGN!,,,,,,,,,, so the biggest model airplane performance engine company in the United States reccomends AMSOIL 100:1 but we shouldn't listen to them we should listen to someone who has some "credence" OK<< that sounds right, [sm=tired.gif]
I am glad I didnt drink the Koolaid. On a seriuos note, I ran amsoil at 100:1 in my DAs with no problem, but I just feel comfortable using more oil. If no one can give a definite reason why more oil is better, I am sure no one will have a reason that running less is better either.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Bob Laine

Da really had a lock on two of my 50 engines. In fact the engine had such a lock I broke two cranks. No more 100.1 for me. In fact.......no more DA's for me. Customer service is great though. I'll take the "Maytag," any day. Bob
Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Antique

Anybody take the time to read the test by Gordon Jennings ? They spent hours with a Suzuki on a dyno monitoring everything possible, and found that 15-1 gave it the most power
Credence, anyone ?...
Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
RTK

Old 10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

It is all about work load and the "wear out" time line. I put my engines through the max workload and need lots of oil for lubrication and perhaps cooling. Silversurfer puts his engines through the "long wear timeline" where if wear is not held to a minimum, engine failure costs big bucks and engine repair becomes a greater cost. As stated before, most hobby applications baby the engine and the engine impacts mother earth long before it sees a hundred hours. Light duty and short run life allows engines to "work with" marginal lubrication.

Elson
Old 10-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Hey,
The cosworth engine in the Vega was a great engine.
You just had to keep it cool.
Change the thermostat on the engine to one that is 180 degrees or lower and your engine will last a long time.

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

Building thousands of engines is not a guarantee that a company knows it all...Remember the four cylinder Chevy Vega with a cast iron head/aluminum block or the converted to diesel V8s ? Early Mazda rotary ? Or maybe the East German Wartburg or Russian Trabant two strokes...How about the Yugo ?
DA does not have a lock on two stroke engine technology...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:53 AM
adrian-RCU

me i run all my engines at 40:1 motul 800 and thats it - ZDZ.DA,3W and MVVS - all ok now, no high temps just a little black spitting from mufflers and thats it - Yes i have read all the stuff or most of it - thats why my conclusion!!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:22 AM
plasticman
My Feedback: (97)

I just recently switched to Pennzoil Air Cooled after reading this article: http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

I would trust that anyone putting their life at risk in an Ultralight aircraft would want a top-grade oil.

P-man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.