Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3w Ignition problem

Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3w Ignition problem

A friend of mine has a 3w-80 with an ignition issue.

Started and ran fine on initial start up, plug wire came off while running, engine never started again. Won't even spark.

Got a new ignition module from 3W with a different plug cap. Same problem. No spark.

Bypassed switches and other electronics.

We are spinning the prop fast enough to start but no spark.

How do you test and troubleshoot the pickup? Does it provide voltage? resistance? contact closure/break? The only thing that was not replaced was the pickup.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Rob
Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 PM
pe reivers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 3w Ignition problem

If Electronic ignitions are operated without proper ground or a complete plug system attached, the spark energy will cook the electronics.
It looks like that happened to you twice.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Newer 3W ignitions use a hall sensor to trigger the ignition...If yours has 2 magnets in the hub it's one of those...If the cap came off the spark could have had no path to ground, so the spark goes through the sensor and destroys it...Sometimes happens instantly, sometimes the spark goes to ground through the cap and works for a while...With some ignitions the sensor can be tested by turning the ignition off and on..Not sure if 3W works that way...The newer ignitions will spark at 1 rpm with the newer systems, no fast spinning needed...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM
dirtypool

Well, the spark plug wire only came off of the first one. Second should be good.
I know that when the plug wire comes off, it will want to unload at the smallest gap. I was wondering if that could have been the pickup. I don't know what the internals are on that thing so I didn't know if it would get fried or not.

It is the new style...

I see that some people successfully adapt the old style to DA hardware. I have the following at my disposal for testing: DA ignition, CH ignition, Zenoah G20 ignition, Ralphs G26 ignition (can't really adapt that one), and an asian version from a BCMA.

None of them have 4 wires (havent checked the Zenoah G20 yet). Can I use one of the single pickup styles on that motor? What are the wire pinouts?

As a last resort I have a CH weedie retrofit kit that I could use. Hate to see a big hose clamp around the nose of a brand new 3W.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
dirtypool

To add:
Turning the ign off and on does not spark. since the ignition has been replaced but the pickup has not, I vote for the pickup.

So, what would I need to do to adapt one of the other pickups? DA and CH most readily available...
Would the timing change with the 2 magnet hub?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Call or E mail TKG [8D]
Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
dirtypool

I just talked to him.

He is sending the whole works back to AI for repair.

Let them figure it out and eliminate a bunch of parts going back and forth.

Thanks for the help.

Rob
Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Good call. My vote went to the Hall sensor. Using the DA would have required some extensive re-timing. It's been done a lot, but the CH replacement works out a lot better and is more reliable than either the 3W or DA. If the next one doesn't work out, go with the CH retrofit the next time.