Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CRRC PRO GF26I

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:07 PM
BULLITTGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CRRC PRO GF26I

The crrcpro 26 is my first gasser also.
I am looking foreward to the inexpensive operating costs,easy starting,better fuel useage...longer flight times, scale sound, no fussin with the jets after it's tuned, and no more oiley messy clean ups.
A couple of issues i came across was the common cracking prop hub.
And dont locktite the ignition sensor bolts.
The locktite ate the plastic sensor housing.

25% su-31//crrcpro26///spektrum 2.4 dx7
Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 AM
ALpmc
My Feedback: (11)

Hi. I just finished flying a Funtana 90S with my new CRRC 26i from Valley View RC and I made a discovery.

After two tanks of break in fuel (20:1 LawnBoy) in a routine check I was tightening the the prop and I noticed a huge amount of side to side movement in the crankshaft!!!!!! I didn't think this was good situation so I began searching the net for answers and found this thread.

So I guess I need to send it to Jody.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 AM
OK2Fly

ORIGINAL: ALpmc

Hi. I just finished flying a Funtana 90S with my new CRRC 26i from Valley View RC and I made a discovery.

After two tanks of break in fuel (20:1 LawnBoy) in a routine check I was tightening the the prop and I noticed a huge amount of side to side movement in the crankshaft!!!!!! I didn't think this was good situation so I began searching the net for answers and found this thread.

So I guess I need to send it to Jody.
Hello, ALpmc, and welcome to RCU!

Yea, send it in to Jody.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 AM
ALpmc

Thanks OK2fly.

I will send it in tomorrow am. I really like this engine. It starts first or second flip (after priming) and was/is running great! It yanks that Funtanna around like nobody's business and has unlimited vertical! I was just starting to have fun with my first gasser! It seems as though this is common problem and I hope Jody can repair it!

Question.......when I send it, should I send everything or just the motor, less the muffler, nut, washer, plug etc, in order to save weight?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:51 PM
antiquefer

I just returnwd from the expo in Munro where I had the crrc pro 26i looked at by the Vally View engine guy. He fixed the runout in the shaft on the spot and said the side to side play was nothing to worry about. If he says so thats good enough for me.................antiquefer.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 AM
davidj

Just the motor is all I sent.

Najee

Break in the engine with a 16x8 or a 17x6. This will tell you if you can go with more like the 16x10 or 17x8 or 18x6.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALpmc, You are correct that this is a common problem but it is limited to the most recent production run. This has been very rare in earlier production engines and totaly non existant in the 50cc and 40cc engines. Rest assured I can and will fix it. Just send the engine I have everything else I need to test run it after it's repaired.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM
jedijody

Just to clarify, The engine I serviced for antiquefer at the NW Model and Hobby Expo had a small amount of end play, that is movement in and out of the crankcase. A small amount of end play is acceptable. I could not feel any side to side movement in the crankshaft. The other problem was the prop shaft had way to much run out, that is the propshaft spinning in a wobbling fashion and not spinning true and in line with the crankshaft, just as if it was bent. This is what I believe is causing all of the bearing/crankcase looseness problems. All engines sent in for the bearing issue will be checked for this and repaired if needed.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
jedijody

Sorry, I forgot to note that all current inventory is also being checked for propshaft run out and being repaired before they are purchased.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
ALpmc

Thanks Jody for responding!

Per our phone conversation, I will add to your comments on the current production run of the 26i engine. I apologize for my earlier comment on this being a common problem as I did not intend for it to include all 26i engines! I did not clarify myself.

There are 4 guys at our flying field who own CRRC Pro engines (3 26i's and 1 50cc) and they all run perfectly! (hence the reason I bought one) I checked with all of them and none of them said that they had any crankshaft movement! I believe that Jody is right and this issue is limited to the most recent production run! These things happen and I am in no way disheartened or put off by this problem! I'm already saving for my next 26i!

My engine is on its way.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
ledsled

Hey Jody, does Maxford USA buy direct or through you all. I should be getting one in the mail in the next week or so. Wanted to know if there is a production run serial number range to look at for these issues?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
jedijody

Maxford buys their engines direct from CRRC China. Unfortunately CRRC does not serial number their engines. The issue is being addressed at the factory and solutions are being tested. If you puchased your engine from Maxford it may have the problem and may not, every engine is not affected. The only way to be sure you will get one that does not have the problem is to buy it from someone that checks for it and takes care of it before it is shipped.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM
dematel

Jodi thanks again for taking care of my problem with CRRC 26i. Just received a new one from you yesterday. I put it in the plane and tested it. Runs great, no vibrations at all and great iddle. You are GREAT technician, salesman and friend. Marcel
Old 02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
CAT POwer
My Feedback: (61)

Hi, What do you guys use for a clunk and fuel filter ?
Thanks Manfred
Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 AM
davidj

I got one flight in today. I tached the engine on the ground before the flight at 8200 rpm with the JFX 17x6. The mix ratio is about 35:1 and the weather was calm and 44 degrees. There was about a 10% increase in thrust with the new prop but the top speed was no better. The muffler again failed (third one) 3/4 of the way through the one flight and I had to pack up and head for home. I will pull the muffler and send it back. Due to this I was unable to tach the engine after the flight. I'm wondering what the problem is? Is it me and my set up? I have ballanced many a prop and I flew heli's for 8 years and I learned a lot about balancing things. IMHO the engine is running smooth and there is no visable sign of excess vibration.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 AM
davidj

????
Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: davidj

I got one flight in today. I tached the engine on the ground before the flight at 8200 rpm with the JFX 17x6. The mix ratio is about 35:1 and the weather was calm and 44 degrees. There was about a 10% increase in thrust with the new prop but the top speed was no better. The muffler again failed (third one) 3/4 of the way through the one flight and I had to pack up and head for home. I will pull the muffler and send it back. Due to this I was unable to tach the engine after the flight. I'm wondering what the problem is? Is it me and my set up? I have ballanced many a prop and I flew heli's for 8 years and I learned a lot about balancing things. IMHO the engine is running smooth and there is no visable sign of excess vibration.
Are you running too small a prop. ? The 8200 rpm might be too high?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
davidj

The manual states a range of 2000 to 9000 rpms. Others have shown readings of over 9200 rpms. What mufflers is everyone else using on this engine.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM
edwal07

You just said the muffler failed and this is the third time! What type of failure are you refering to? Coming loose, welds breaking? Hard to tell whats happening without some type of description! Also a few pics would help!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
edwal07

In my last reply I asked for peticulars on the failure. This time I would like to ask, did you consider what the rpm in the air would be after the engine unloaded? You could easily gain 500 or more! I am running the SY 16X8 and an APC 16X10 on another engine and both work fantastic, the SY I think does the best job for the 26.
In all my experience I still do not understand why everyone wants to run close to the redline on engines. Just because it says 2000-9000 why would you want to run 9000 or a shade either side. I would be more interested to get my engine to run correctly in the POWER BAND (a range of rpm that results in the most efficient combustion of the fuel to provide the most power and torque) for that engine. It is a proven fact once you exceed the max rpm in the power band, the power (HP) drops off as well as the torque (inlb, ftlb) line. This is known by me from dyno tests on diesels and gas engines. Only thru extensive modification of the porting, timing, air and fuel flow will result in a power increase out of the original power band. I would look at different props and measure the thrust at given rpms plus look at cylinder head temperature during the "pull". I think you will see that a 16X8 will give the max thrust (about 13LB) of any prop. Concentrate on max thrust, not RPM and you will have yourself a winner.
Ed
"The Stand Man"
Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
BULLITTGT

The stand man
What aircraft are you running the sy 16x8 on?

davidj
Please describe the muffler failure you are having.
Is it the stock muffler of the pitts muffler?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM
edwal07

BullittGT
I am running the SY on my UltraRC Extreme Katana and my Chipmunk. I ran the 16X10 and then changed to the SY on my GP Giant Chipmunk. The Katana started out at 12.5lb but with repairs and mods it is about 13.6 now. The Chipper is at 15.8lb and flies like a dream on the SY. There is only a little difference in thrust between the APC 16X10 and SY 16X8 about 1.2lb due to decreased rpm. The last time I checked I am getting getting 7950 and 1875 with the SY and that is at factory settings of 1 1/2 and 1 1/4. I could lean it out a bit but it runs great as it is. Everyone at the field is amazed at how smooth it runs. I have 3 of the 26's and a 50 by CRRC. The 50 is turning a 22X8 at 7250 and a 22X6-10 at 7350 with 1750 idle. I also run a Zohr 17X6 on my 1/4 Scale Cub, have not even tach'd the upper, just for idle 1850, all engines are at factory settings using 40:1 Stihl Ultra Synthetic, will go to 50:1 on next batch. Each engine has at least 4 gallons of gas each thru them starting with 25:1 (2gal) / 32:1 (1gal) / 40:1 (1 or more). Will more than likely tweek the high needle ever so lightly once I get to 50:1 just to see how they do. Otherwise I am really pleased with the performance.
I also run both regular and pitts style muffs. I have not heard of any muffler problems to date.
Ed
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM
BULLITTGT

Thanks for the info Ed.
I will be running the sy 16x8 on a peak models su-31.
im guessing the weight will be around 12 lbs.
I'm curious whats going wrong with the defective mufflers...must be cracking somewhere as far as i can guess.
Purchased the pitts style muffler for my su31.

I have run my crrc26 approx. 6 hours on a test stand this winter.
The only issue i have had was the cracked prop hub.
I machined the hub area with the magnet off mine and press fit a stainless steel ring over the hub.
Then redrilled the magnet hole and installed a new magnet.
I can now tighten the prop nut down without the worry of overtightening the nut and cracking the hub.
I did this mod. because i figured if i bought the new hub this would eventually crack also as the new design didnt change that much.

Looking foreward to flying the su 31 as this is my first gasser also with 2.4 spektrum radio so chikollela cant shoot me down.
I have been flying 3 years now and every year the "chic" has shot someone down.
This guys been flying for some 20 years and some complacency has apparently set in.
Maybe the club should buy him the 2.4 so everyone would be safe.
Ohh...by the way, chik is also the safety officer......whhheeeww.

Wheels UP
Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 AM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Howdy,
I have a Jerrys big boy that is looking for a gasser in the 26cc range. It's about a 12 pound plane. First, is the CRRC pro 26I a good reliable engine? Second, would it hover my big boy?
thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 AM
Ravivos

ORIGINAL: edwal07

In my last reply I asked for peticulars on the failure. This time I would like to ask, did you consider what the rpm in the air would be after the engine unloaded? You could easily gain 500 or more! I am running the SY 16X8 and an APC 16X10 on another engine and both work fantastic, the SY I think does the best job for the 26.
In all my experience I still do not understand why everyone wants to run close to the redline on engines. Just because it says 2000-9000 why would you want to run 9000 or a shade either side. I would be more interested to get my engine to run correctly in the POWER BAND (a range of rpm that results in the most efficient combustion of the fuel to provide the most power and torque) for that engine. It is a proven fact once you exceed the max rpm in the power band, the power (HP) drops off as well as the torque (inlb, ftlb) line. This is known by me from dyno tests on diesels and gas engines. Only thru extensive modification of the porting, timing, air and fuel flow will result in a power increase out of the original power band. I would look at different props and measure the thrust at given rpms plus look at cylinder head temperature during the "pull". I think you will see that a 16X8 will give the max thrust (about 18LB) of any prop. Concentrate on max thrust, not RPM and you will have yourself a winner.
Ed
"The Stand Man"

Hi edwal07
I think your thrust numbers are a bit off-scale.
there is no way you can produce 18lbs of thrust out of this engine, doesnt really matter what prop you are using.
i made some measurements and calculation for this engine in order to find the best prop that will give me the highest static thrust i can get (its for a VTOL project),
i found that a 17X6APC prop will spin at approx 9K with 13lbs of thrust.
a 16X8APC will spin at 8600rpm with 12lbs of thrust.

mounting this engine on a 12lbs 3D plane will be a bit marginal, it will hover but without much autorithy at pullouts.
you can try using pe-reivers thrust calculator, i found it to be quite accurate.
Pe's claculator will clearly show that the static thrust of this engine is at 11-13 lbs (with different props)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.