Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W Side carb/Rear induction??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 02:45 AM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W Side carb/Rear induction??

Can you 3W guys out there tell me some of the differences between the side carb and rear induction 3W engines? I am looking for a 75-80 size engine and want to stay light. It seems like the RI engines are a half a pound heavier? I want to put this in a tow plane and want the power and reliability, but a half a pound up front savings is a good thing, ya know?

Are there any other differences between the two engines. I have heard that the RI engines produce a little more power.

I also considered the BME 80, but the 3Ws are on sale right now for $555.00, a great price.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Dan champ

Hi Pequeajim !!
I think you will have a better throttle response and a bit more power from a RI though they are more tricky to mount but side carbs work as well.

Thats just an opinion from a guy whose had both.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:15 PM
pequeajim
My Feedback: (1)

There is a tow plane that I am thinking of getting and that is what the engine is for. I guess it would not need to be a responsive as an engine in say, a Cap or Extra..