Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Piped G62 lite

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piped G62 lite

Not looking to start any brand wars, just some information..
Got an E mail from a customer, his G62 lite using an EC Composites pipe turns a Vess 23A at 7900 rpm...
Underpowered overweight boat anchor...NOT......
Old 05-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Default RE: Piped G62 lite

I have a plain jane stock G-62 turning a 22-8/14 at 6400 rpms and flies the stew out of my Wildhare edge540. So i'm assuming that the lite 62 must realy be a performer having the same power yet weighing alot less. Guess i'll have to invest in a lite 62 to compare them! Should be fun!!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:15 PM

Pipes make power, that's why people who compare their EI engines with pipes to stock magneto G62s with mufflers always come out on top....Been going on for years....
You can lead a horse to water---------
Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Ralph,

What is the weight difference between a standard G62 converted to your ignition and one of your “Lite” versions.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 PM

The old version was about 4 1/2 lbs...All conversions are now Lite...The difference is the electronic advance, a smaller mount, and a lighter hub..The ignition is still inside the mount..I guess the fins could be trimmed and a separate igniton with standoffs instead of the mount might be a little lighter..I would rather have a strong cup mount than standoffs, so that's what they have...I can make it either way....
Could be a little under 4 that way...
Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

I've got one of Ralph's 62s with flat plate mount, separate ignition...weighs 3lbs 14oz. I'd like to trim the fins down a bit, not for weight because I doubt there's anything significant to gain there, but to make cowl trimming a little more attractive, and for easier baffling setup (air cooling). I think the flat plate mount is great, either the OEM steel one, or homebrew aluminum one. And the cup mount Ralph makes with the ignition inside...tuff and nice look to em. i use the flat plate setup for planes requiring short distance from firewall to thrust washer. And Ralph's mount with ignition inside for others.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:22 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ralph, what's the length of the header and what would be a comparable, but cheaper pipe? Any pics?

Would the AMT 50 pipe work? Here's a link. [link]http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/accessories/amt.html[/link]
Old 06-16-2007, 01:12 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best part of a tuned pipe is that an extremely quiet aftermuffler can be made into it with no performance loss. There needs to be stronger leadership among ARF importers to accomodate good exhaust systems in their designs. Right now adding an extra $100 to the package would be a hard sell to most pilots even with the power increase.