Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FTL 45 gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
ragallo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FTL 45 gas engine

Hello
I received my FTL 45 gas engine from United hobbies. It came without a spark plug or wrench. My question is what spark plug do I use with this engine. Something from Champion or NKG that would be available in the US. Ordered a plug from United hobbies they want five dollars plus shipping so I need to find a plug available here. The instruction manual with this plane is a total waste there are no instructions with the electronic ignition. I e-mail them several times have yet to get an answer to the question. I am putting the engine in a Pitts special 33% from RC guys. A plane and engine for $500 is cheap but there are some penalties to pay. I hope this engine runs as good as it looks. Many thanks in advance for any of advice and words of wisdom

Bob G.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: FTL 45 gas engine

As a guess a NGK BPMR6A, Champ RCJ7Y, Bosch WSR6F They are sorta the universal plugs for gassers that use a gasketed 3/4 hex plug.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM
ragallo

thank you TKG
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 AM
YBP

Hi ragallo.

Would you be kind enough to check your initial carb settings for me?

I did the rookie mistake to start messing with the settings without checking the # of revolutions on the needles first... And now I´m lost...

Thanks,
Lars.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
ragallo

Hello Lars
the low setting was little more than 1 1/4 for low, high setting was 1 3/4 turns out. Hope this works for you.

Bob G.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
YBP

Thank you Bob.

Got the engine running earlier this evening. It was a pinched fuel-line causing me alot of trouble getting it running. It would start and run for a couple of seconds and then die, one time sounding rich and the other lean.

Thanks again,
Lars.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
ragallo

Hi
Got mine running today. It is mounted in airplane so I can run the throttle with the radio. I still have work to do on the plane
waiting for parts. It was idleing good did not run it much over 3000 rpm ran for about 35 minutes today. Going to run it for two hours at around 3000 rpm. There's quite a bit of vibration at various RPMs. I mounted the throttle servo upfront close to the engine. I had glued the mounts for the servo. The engine was running so rough at first that it shook them loose. Now they are bolted through with locknuts. It started very easy once you got the carb primed and it had warmed up a little, one flip of the prop is all it took. Can't tell how it's going to run till I can get the RPMs up to around 7000. That's it for today more later.

Bob G.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
rodman293
Banned
My Feedback: (136)

HI I got the same egine and mounted it on my hanger 9 P-47 1/5 scale, got it running and it ran good but had to stop it to turn it around as my tachometer din't work in the position that it was, then the problems started, when I went to start it it woud do the same thing that it was diong to Lars, it was runing a few seconds and then quit, and i checked all my fuel lines and they are not piched any where, I even when inside the carb to see if there was dirty screen and if it was geting gas and everything is as it should be, I am at my wits ends and am startin to regret geting this engine, the only thing that I regret is having seen it in RCU, this guys don't have any support and can even get a hold of them because they are in hong kong and thas 12 hours away, just threw my mony away with this hunk of metal, IF the moderator is reading this SHAME ON RCU FOR ADVETISING THIS ENGINE.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: rodman293

HI I got the same egine and mounted it on my hanger 9 P-47 1/5 scale, got it running and it ran good but had to stop it to turn it around as my tachometer din't work in the position that it was, then the problems started, when I went to start it it woud do the same thing that it was diong to Lars, it was runing a few seconds and then quit, and i checked all my fuel lines and they are not piched any where, I even when inside the carb to see if there was dirty screen and if it was geting gas and everything is as it should be, I am at my wits ends and am startin to regret geting this engine, the only thing that I regret is having seen it in RCU, this guys don't have any support and can even get a hold of them because they are in hong kong and thas 12 hours away, just threw my mony away with this hunk of metal, IF the moderator is reading this SHAME ON RCU FOR ADVETISING THIS ENGINE.
Double check all your wiring to the ignition and your battery voltage, Check the battery with a meter that checks it with a load, Sound more like a ignition problem than fuel.

To check the fuel draw get all the fuel out of the fuel line and turn over the engine. You should see the fuel coming through the line, Do it with coke off.

Milton
Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 AM
ragallo

Keep at it don't get discouraged. Make sure your fuel tank is vented. Pull your plug, rotate the prop, check for spark.
Don't try to start it above idle speed. Use your choke until it wants to run then disconnect the choke. Put at a little pressure on your fuel system make sure the gas is flowing through the carburetor. The valve that the diaphragm opens was stuck on my carburetor and wouldn't allow any fuel to go through. Since you've had yours running I doubt if that's your problem. Make sure your high and low screws are open 1 3/4 turns to start with, you will probably have to turn them in some when you get your engine running. I believe the carburetor and ignition system are of good quality. We won't know about the engine itself for a while. I was using a 22-8 zinger prop today it is quite heavy. Tomorrow I'm putting a top-flight 20 - 8 prop on it much lighter. We'll see if that takes care of some of the vibration. I have gotten some answers from United hobbies. I think they are so busy because of their low prices that they just can't take care of everything. You also might try getting some help from your local flying club.

Good luck Bob G.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 AM
YBP

Should the valve behind the diaphragm be closed so no fuel can get through when engine is not running? I opened this to look and I need to push on the thingy to get fuel to flow.

Thanks,
Lars.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
rodman293
Banned
My Feedback: (136)

Well Feloows, Thanks for all the help it was sure helpful and apreciated, I spent the day working on the engine, AND IGOT IT RUNING !!!!, HORRAY, after i set the needles at what you guys told me about 1 3/4 turns, and closed the throtle to just a couple of clicks, the dam thing started but it was missing a lot then I noticed that the throtle was opening and closind on it's own, I found that the ignition was interfiering with the radio, and I fly the new Spectrum 2.4 ghz, and never saw any problems, but it was too close to the ignition system so I move it back as far as i could and rewired the servos and move the battery back also, then I ran it for about 30 minutes and shut it of then tryied to start it (keep my fingers crossed) IT STARTED AGAIN!!!, WOW, IT DID RUN OK then let it run some more, and even run it full tilt, and it's got a lot of power, I tach it out and it was doing about 7200 RPM, on a 20x10 ProZinger, wood prop, now all i have to do is to replace the two Futaba 3305 hd mg sevos that for some reason whent all the way to the end and froze up, that one is for the books I think this plane is jinxed or something, whe is one thing it's another, GOT TO HAVE LOT'S OF PATIENCE IN THIS HOBBY, and I been doing it ever sence 1975, but this is getting even me, thanks again to you guys that took the time to help me, the RC comunity is GREAT!!!!!!! RODMA293, Charles Rodriguez AMA 121636.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 PM
RC Extreme power

Great to hear all is well

Milton
Old 10-12-2007, 07:42 PM
ragallo

Nice to see you in a better mood you are having more than your share of problems
keep at it.

Bob G
Old 10-13-2007, 09:33 AM
WesternHobbies
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,
This is the same exact engine as our GF45i SuperSport minus some of the accessories like the CNC velocity stack, CNC throttle arm, spinner adapter. We can support this engine here in the US with parts, accessories and service.

Sincerely,
Jim
Western Hobbies
Old 10-13-2007, 09:53 AM
RC Extreme power

ORIGINAL: WesternHobbies

Hi all,
This is the same exact engine as our GF45i SuperSport minus some of the accessories like the CNC velocity stack, CNC throttle arm, spinner adapter. We can support this engine here in the US with parts, accessories and service.

Sincerely,
Jim
Western Hobbies
To say that they are exact same engine is a little misleading The main difference is the CRRC has a cast lower end and the FTL has a machined lower end. The cylinders look the same but have different casting marks.
A lot of the parts will interchange.

Milton
Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 AM
RC Extreme power

This is a copy paste quote from CRRC engines

It`s not CRRCpro products,This engine comes from a unknown factory !

Milton
Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Milton

ORIGINAL: WesternHobbies

Hi all,

Sincerely,
Jim
Western Hobbies
To say that they are exact same engine is a little misleading The main difference is the CRRC has a cast lower end and the FTL has a machined lower end. The cylinders look the same but have different casting marks.
A lot of the parts will interchange.

Milton
It' still nice to know there is at least some level of local (continental USA) support for these engines, that makes buying a very inexpensive engine somewhat more attractive. By the way, is this FTL 45 engine made in China? Mainland? Taiwan? Another country? I think this is sold out of Honk Kong, right?

Jim
Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
OkieTrucker

Question for you guys running these. I have had mine for about 2 months and it runs great, but every now and then it seems to want to die for no reason, i feel that is set right as far as the carb is concernd, any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

I'm trying to rebuild an FTL 45 that was in a crash and it needs parts - does anyone know if Western Hobbies or anyone else still sells parts?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

I've found all the parts I need except for the prop hub assembly (CRRC part 45150). Does anyone have an extra, or is selling parts from an old FTL 45 or CRRC 45?