Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

42 Percent Products Opti-Kill opinions??

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

42 Percent Products Opti-Kill opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Grizak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42 Percent Products Opti-Kill opinions??

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with the 42 Percent Products Opti Kill remote ignition kill switch? What about any of their other products?

Thanks,

Grizak
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: 42 Percent Products Opti-Kill opinions??

I have two of the electronic kill switches and recommend them. They are excellent quality for the price. I have zero interference problems related to the switch and have experienced no false cutoff events.

I don't know anything about their other products but I am going to buy a glow driver to try in my pattern planes this year.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I have three on 50cc gassers and can't say enough good about them!!!!!!!! Work perfectly, light, easy to setup, has a great RED LED to indicate "ON"... easy to mount and make visible. Highly recommend them.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

I have three on 50cc gassers and can't say enough good about them!!!!!!!! Work perfectly, light, easy to setup, has a great RED LED to indicate "ON"... easy to mount and make visible. Highly recommend them.
Bob, what swith on the transmitter do you use to activate the switch?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Bob Pastorello

Actually, I have one plane setup for "gear", the others use the "mix" upper right/rear, I use X9303.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 PM
2robinhood

I have three and work great ( DL-50, Brillelli GT26, CRRC Pro GF26I ).
I heard that they don't work with Fuji's though ( they break up at all rpm's ).
Old 01-21-2008, 03:49 AM
drewbags

I have 2 of them and they work great.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:59 AM
rgoldy

Got one-works great. Will need another here in a couple months. Don't know about their other stuff.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
skip1320

Hello,looks like BCMA engines has 42% V/regulators too,good price,any experience?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a sure fire way of always stopping the plane and engine I prefer a triple M-100 installation with a charge fitted at each wing root inside the fuselage with another set tight against the firewall. For a little added flasj you can tape an m-80 to the gas tank. To set them off you have to use a model rocket fuse stuft into the fuse opening as close to the charge tube as you can get it. Use a 9v transistor battery with the negative lead wired to all three charges. Install a wire to the positive terminal battery that goes to the other side of the fuses. Usa metal servo arm that can sweep across both poles of the 9v battery, creating an electrical bridge, when you flip the gear switch. KA-BOOOM!! and everything just goes to pieces and falls wherever it's at.

Now that's a sure fire way of killing an engine if nothing else normally used fails. Just in case, keep a shotgun on hand loaded with 00 shot for those rare days when the M-100 failsafe doesn't work. Both methods are a lot cheaper than optical switches.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 AM
reefHawg

On the Fuji engine issue,.. if there is one. Looking at the manual for the ignition cut off I can't see how it would not work. It's on the ignition power supply. Power on/Power off. Am I missing something? I would like one,.. but I have a Fuji 43 EI and would like to know for sure.
Geoff
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Whistling Death

Man this what have been looking for. I was getting tired of paying $60.00 for other brands of optical kill switches.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: BBOwen

Man this what have been looking for. I was getting tired of paying $60.00 for other brands of optical kill switches.
I have had three of these installed, and in use for many months.... flawless performance, good price. And he includes a BRIGHT red LED that I mount on the engine box, where I can see it from the front of the airplane. Even in direct sunlight, there is enough shade in the cowling to let that light show for a long ways...it is very easy to setup and works very well.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Whistling Death

Thanks Bob , that is what wanted to hear! Plus I like anything that includes bright LED's
Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
rgoldy

I now have 3 of them. I did get one that after running the engine full bore for about 45 secs it started running crappier and crappier until it finally quit. Traced it back to the kill switch which they replaced and it works fine. Don't really understand why it did what it did but the service was good.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 PM
bjor

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

For a sure fire way of always stopping the plane and engine I prefer a triple M-100 installation with a charge fitted at each wing root inside the fuselage with another set tight against the firewall. For a little added flasj you can tape an m-80 to the gas tank. To set them off you have to use a model rocket fuse stuft into the fuse opening as close to the charge tube as you can get it. Use a 9v transistor battery with the negative lead wired to all three charges. Install a wire to the positive terminal battery that goes to the other side of the fuses. Usa metal servo arm that can sweep across both poles of the 9v battery, creating an electrical bridge, when you flip the gear switch. KA-BOOOM!! and everything just goes to pieces and falls wherever it's at.

Now that's a sure fire way of killing an engine if nothing else normally used fails. Just in case, keep a shotgun on hand loaded with 00 shot for those rare days when the M-100 failsafe doesn't work. Both methods are a lot cheaper than optical switches.
Sorry for going off topic here in this really useful thread, but I just cannot resist. Pat - I know you are only joking and trying to be the funny guy here- but what sort of hypocrite D.H statement is that. In a recent thread you would not give out info on a question regarding an Alternator from a guy in Kuwait because you thought the guy might be a terrorist. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7479571/tm.htm
You stated that the info handed out on RC universe can be used for terrorist purposes and that every response needed to be carefully examined and yet YOU just posted this tripe. T
Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Pat, looks like you got your foot got caught in the slammer. Watching to see how you wriggle out of this one

Karol
Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: rgoldy

I now have 3 of them. I did get one that after running the engine full bore for about 45 secs it started running crappier and crappier until it finally quit. Traced it back to the kill switch which they replaced and it works fine. Don't really understand why it did what it did but the service was good.
When they replaced it, did they explain what was failing on yours? Or what happened?
That failure mode would be pretty distressing to trouble-shoot, and one could go chasing rabbit-trails forever...
Was it interrupting power when it started failing?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 PM
rgoldy

They never said and I never asked, they just replaced it. It was a little confusing because I thought these would be either on or off and no in between but when I bypassed it, things ran fine. Symptoms were the engine would start and run great for the first 30-45 secs but then progressively get worse until it plain quit. I thought it was a battery or too lean or lack of lube but since swapping it out, all is well with everything else being the same.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Bob Pastorello

Thanks, Rich. Worth noting in the memory!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 AM
rgoldy

I should add that the above process would repeat if you let it set an hour. Must have been something getting hot in the circuitry.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:13 PM
reefHawg

The word from 42 Percent is that Fuji engine ignitions give off too much interference and it affects the unit. True, I have had RFI issues with my Fuji.
They have another version which I hope to have and test this week on my Fuji.
I'll post results.
Geoff
Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 PM
rgoldy

Does it effect it like I said or some other way?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
knormang

Can anybody out there please give me 42Percent Products phone number. I cannot get them on line. Thank you in anticipation. Ken Gregory.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Grizak
My Feedback: (3)

Ken,

I'm the distributor for 42 Percent Products here in Canada. If you need anything, you can PM me. Also, I sent you a PM with my contact details.

Thanks,

Grizak

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.