Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Fuji 34cc on a Rascal 110?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 11:02 PM
Tom52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuji 34cc on a Rascal 110?

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with the Fuji BT-32A on the SIG Rascal 110? I was about set on the Zenoah G26, but the Fuji looks like it will fit the cowl better than the G26. I am new to gassers and any advice would be appreciated. All previous experience is with 40 and 60 size glow. Thanks...........
Old 05-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default 32 on a SIG Rascal

Way, way over powered. The planes a fun, play with the wind type, not an Edge or a CAP !!!!
Old 05-15-2003, 01:22 AM
Tom52

Thanks Antique,

I thought that might be the case. I was hoping to have an engine that would transfer to the next project. The rascal 110 seems to be a good transition plane into giant size, but I was really trying to have an engine that would let me move into something more "agressive" next. I know that I need to spend more time working on my skills before an Edge or Cap. Do appreciate the advice.

Do you have any suggestions besides the Rascal 110 for an "entry level" giant? I really am thinking ARF because I have a Goldberg 60 kit I am already working on. Only so much time and way too many planes!
Old 05-16-2003, 01:11 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default engine

Seems like a RCS 1.4 with the carb in the rear should fit the Rascal 110 very nice, and the right power too. Capt,n May be wrong though
Old 05-16-2003, 01:15 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the Kangke and Dymond RC gaint scale planes. If you already have the Fuji, then consider the Dymond RC Rearwin Speedster (ARF). I have a Quadra 40 in mine and it flies great!
Old 05-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Tom52

I plan on getting both plane and engine at the end of this month (happy birthday to me!). A friend suggested has the Zenoah G26 for the Rascal. The RCS 1.4 looked a little expensive to me, but that it would be a good fit. Money is not a big concern, just that I am getting what I pay for.

I had considered the Rearwin Speedster, but did not have much luck getting detailed information. Is it really suitable for a first time large/giant plane?

Thanks again for the info. There is a local giant scale fly-in this weekend. I will be asking questions.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Any of the high-wing cabin types (Cub, Rearwin, Taylorcraft, etc) would be good for a first gaint scale plane. The Rascal does have a unique and classy look to it, though. Or, you might consider a low-winger like the Lanier Stinger ARFs, either giant or 1.20 size. They are very forgiving planes too.

As for power, the G26 would be perfect for the 1/4 scale Cub types. The Fuji BT-32A should be fine engine too, though some people have reported hand starting troubles. I am sure their service dept can take care of any problems though.

If budget is a concern, and it appears it is, you might consider one of the weedie conversions. For example, the Ryobi 31cc is rear intake rear exhaust and sould fit the narrow cowl of the Rascal very well.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:14 AM
Tom52

Thanks Volfly,
Budget is not really a concern, just that I hopefully make a good decision. I have seen the conversions from RS Engines. Per R/C Reports this might be a good way to go. I like the idea of the Ryobi 31cc on the Rascal 110. It would have plenty of power and fit the narrow cowl.
The other planes mentioned are still under consideration. I guess this thread might of been better titled "Best 1st Combo".
Old 05-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Tom52

Just checked out the Ryobi 31cc and it will be about 1 1/2 " too long for the cowl of the Rascal. After checking out the other suggested planes I think I will stay with SIG. Good luck in the past. It looks like I may be moving to the RCS 1.4. Seems like a real nice engine, and maybe something I can move on to the next project. Can't believe I am planning beyond a plane I don't have yet! Must be a sickness...........
Old 05-18-2003, 11:43 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RC

Maybe it is possible to cut a hole for carb to go through the firewall...you will have to make a mount of some type for engine. Then that Robyi 31 may fit in Rascal cowl....worth a try. Capt,n