Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 50 RV specs and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 50 RV specs and opinions

I have one of these motors on order and am waiting patiently for it to arrive.

What is the best prop for these 50cc motors? 22 x 10

What are your guy's readings on the tach with this motor. Please state the altitude your at and where your located and if it is broken in or not and muffler used (all these things matter).

My engine will be going in a Colombo Anderson 27% Extra 300L
Old 05-16-2003, 12:54 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine is very good -
IF--that is IF you choose to use a very restrictive muffler - you will not get best performance from it.
A Bambula 20x10 at our altitude and using the Bisson Pitts -stock -is about 7000 rpm.
This means a Zinger turns much higher -but performance goes nowhere.
A 22x8 MenzS is also a good prop -but the MenzS 22x10 will require that you use a small header and a can such as the JMB to run at about the same RPM
I got -respoectively -on the bench testing - over 7200 on the 22x8 and just under 7000 on the 22x10.
The in cowl muffler will drop these numbers -a bunch.
So - know where you are going with the setup.
If you add a tuned pipe -the numbers will really jump-.
depending on the tuned pipoe setup- which -if you are doing an ARF- I would guess is not where you are going - understandable --
As a final note - the 50 on the Bisson outturns the 40 on a tuned pipe by 100 or so rpm---on the 20x10 Bambula --
other brand props are another ball game -

Old 05-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I chose to go a different direction after trying the higher pitch props on my ZDZ 50. It was the right thing to do.

Since I WANTED to run a Pitts style muffler, I found the ZDZ 50 to not be able to turn up into it's power band.

So I chose a different 52 cc motor, and now turn the very same prop, on a Pitts in-cowl muffler, over 1000 rpm higher.

Just my experience....YMMV....please no flaming.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:42 AM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aerobob, a TS-52 by chance???? It's a great motor with very good power....
Old 05-16-2003, 11:05 AM
rmh

Choice -what it is all about -
the ZDZ design criteria for this one was a a light engine which runs best on a quiet tuned setup.
That setup has not yet caught on in the USA tho it is the rule in Europe.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

And choices are a good thing...the number of quite acceptable gas powerplants has really grown over the past couple years. Whether or not canisters, tuned pipes, or Pitts manifolds (or even straight stacks) are selected as a choice, there is a motor to match that performs very well.

It's great to see so many opportunities!
Old 05-16-2003, 07:16 PM
AJT

I also run a T-52 The props I am using are a MENZ-22/8@7300rpm's. 1st gallon, 2nd gallon, I tried a menzlik 22/10 @ 7000rpm's in cowl pitts style muffler. 50:1 lawn boy oil for break in. Both props have tremendous power so I can say that it doesn't matter which one I choose. I fly the airplane at 1/2 throttle most of the time anyway. But for me this was the right choice As I don't know squat about gassers. Very user friendly is this engine, Still on factory settings hands starts very easy and idle is almost too slow. I hope these prop numbers helps you in yous selections. Enjoy your new motor!
AJT
Old 05-19-2003, 02:24 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I will be recieving mine late June early July... I am going to post a review on what I get with specific props and maybe muffler combos as well.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:12 PM
barnyard
My Feedback: (3)

I have a ZDZ 50 running a Top Flite 22-6/10 It is fairly new and not yet broken in but I get 5800 rpm thru a Bisson incowl inverted muffler that has had about an inch chopped out of it. My biggest complaint is I have broken two prop bolts so far and the engine has to go back to RC Showcase to be repaired. So all I can say is look out for that problem.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:20 PM
SHINDEN
My Feedback: (10)

Default ZDZ 50

I am running BIELA 22x8 on mine with great success, I have tried 4 different props and this one have best overall performance, as it happens to be as well on ZENOACH 62 and DA 50 flown at our field, don't have rpm readings but from thrust and speed performance thats the best combo.

Jack.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default For comparisons sake. .

For the sake of yet another option in the 50cc "class", the new BME 55 Xtreme is well on its way to finishing the de-bugging process, getting the balance set and optimized and finishing the crankcase detailing. A few details from the prototype motor. .

Weight, 2 lbs 2 ounces (okay, not quite 2 lbs. . DARN!!) Expect this to be the as shipped weight of the production motors, including prop washer and nut and spark plug. Ignition is CH. .4 ounces, and the "stock" muffler is about 4 ounces. Add a 3-4 ounce ignition battery and the whole motor "package' comes in under 3 lbs.

Power: Current runs with the Mejzlik 22-10 reveal 7700+ rpm HOT, with the stock muffler, 7100 with a Menz-s 22-8, and 6700 with a Menz-s 22-10. A 24-8 Menz was in the 6100-6200 range with the stock muffler setup.

Of note, the BME 55cc cylinder is ported and timed to be extremely boosted by pipe or canister setups, and end-users may expect to add 4-500 rpm or so to these already stout numbers. With this style of porting, the base muffler equipped motors will more than hold their own in the "power wars" but excell with a good exhaust in place.

No final production date is set, yet, pending finalization of balance parameters and getting the machine company to set up the CNC machine centers for production of the pieces, but I hope to have one SOON (A great Christmas present . . )
Old 05-21-2003, 10:04 PM
rmh

The MenzS numbers are close to what I got with the 50 ZDZ- tho the projected weight is lighter on the BME-
I did not use an "in cowl setup as I don't care for the noise -
If you get one of those engines --try the JMB quiet can -they can use a very short header -just the curve is fine -
I did not give the long tuned pipe numbers for the ZDZ- as that setup seems to be too much work for the typical US user--who are as far as I can see almost exclusively putting these engines in BARF type models .
Old 05-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Kris^
Banned

Short pipes/canisters are really the best all-around flying setup anyway, Dick, as they add power and quiet things, but are less peaky and take up a lot less room. BME does not do that type of testing on the bench, though. When comparing apples to oranges, i.e., piped to non-piped motors, there will always be a bit a bit of confusion as to how strong the motors really are, and, unfortunately, the exhaust side of the equation is the real clincher when it comes to power output

We all know that "stock" mufflers basically SUCK. IMHO, its time for the manufacturers to start offering the canisters as their base exhaust system, with an option for "mufflers" or true tuned pipes.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Diablo-RCU

They ought to offer porting options to match the mufflers they provide. You know, offer pipe-timed cylinders for the guys that want to run a pipe or tuned can, and offer muffler timed cylinders for a specific in-cowl muffler.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Kris^
Banned

KA-CHING!!!!!!!!!