Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:53 PM
perche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Not to step on Gas R/C Hobby Engines toes, but I've found that Permatex Anaerobic Sealer works very well for a well fit machined case half application. Easy to locate in most auto parts stores.

Apply in a very thin layer to only one side of the case half. One of the benefits of this type of sealer is that it does not completely harden, and any spill over that breaks away inside the case is easily passed through the engne to exit the exhaust without generating any interference or component damage.

Of course make sure that the edge of the case has been well cleaned to remove any residual oil before the application of the sealer.

Case screw torque to 40 inch pounds max. Same torque with the cylinder and carb screws.
Thanx

It it had a high idle, probarly leaking air betveen the two halfs.

Thomas
Old 11-27-2009, 03:01 PM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

Gas R/C Hobby Engines,

How well are you stocked on parts? I have the one of the first 100's and could use two sets of rings. I also have a later upgraded rear induction 100 nib that I'm likely going to part with. Too many engines in the shop and need to make some shelf space.
I am the only one working today so it will be monday before I can get out and be able check the stock on the rings. I carry alot of parts, alot of them it seems I never use. I will also see if I can use another 100 for stock.

Jim is in Bijing working with the RCGF factory to see about some small changes in some of the engine designs. I am hoping to make them more user freindly.

Is it alright if I email you monday abouit the rings and 100 engine?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T.O.M.

Thanks, I'll shorten this one, I can do that with out getting near the reeds. It looks like I can knock off about 1/4" - 3/8" < total length of the engine> and that is enough for most of the 1.20 size planes that I have looked at and won't have to cut the firewall. If it starts running bad, I'll just get a new one stock length.

Andy
Old 11-27-2009, 03:04 PM
yearnin to Fly

Not to step on Gas R/C Hobby Engines toes, but I've found that Permatex Anaerobic Sealer works very well for a well fit machined case half application. Easy to locate in most auto parts stores.

Apply in a very thin layer to only one side of the case half. One of the benefits of this type of sealer is that it does not completely harden, and any spill over that breaks away inside the case is easily passed through the engne to exit the exhaust without generating any interference or component damage.

Of course make sure that the edge of the case has been well cleaned to remove any residual oil before the application of the sealer.

Case screw torque to 40 inch pounds max. Same torque with the cylinder and carb screws.
I use the same permatex Anaerbic sealer, I get mine at napa. expensive but never fails to do the job, I hate leaks. LOL
Old 11-27-2009, 04:14 PM
perche

Just got a new 100, its a bit diffrent than the last one i got. New cyl. Ant the brass inserts for the plugs are gone Looks good!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: gasrchobbyengines
I am the only one working today so it will be monday before I can get out and be able check the stock on the rings. I carry alot of parts, alot of them it seems I never use. I will also see if I can use another 100 for stock.

Jim is in Bijing working with the RCGF factory to see about some small changes in some of the engine designs. I am hoping to make them more user freindly.

Is it alright if I email you monday abouit the rings and 100 engine?
Hey Gas R/C Hobby Engines,

Aren't you formerly cman_25? It was a good nick. Why change it?

I hope Jim does well in China ... they are in Zhejiang, not Beijing. The problem we had with any dealings with them was that the only English speaking person there was Catherine Tsang. (The same as often posts here as JohnnyB). Does Jim speak Cantonese or Mandarin?
I wish Jim the best of luck in dealing with the factory. Hopefully, his powers of persuation are better than Piston's and Aussiesteve's [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The purpose of the brass inserts in the early heads was to enable the use of a 10mm spark plug, aka CM-6. The early heads were intended to use a 5/8 plug and the insert was a simple reducer. Their use did raise the height of the plug electrode in the heads but it generally didn't have much of a performance impact. Those that had a desperate desire to obtain the same electrode depth only needed to cut away the crush washer on a CM-6 and install an 010" soft steel shim washer.

The only reason to have used a CM-6 was to lower and narrow the plug to plug distance on the twins, and lower the plug height on the singles. Unfortunately the ignitions used between the two plug types was, and is not interchangable.

RC Gas,

Monday is fine but I probably won't reply until Tuesday when I get back to the shop. Travel between now and then. The new 100 has had the hub re-drilled and tapped to correct a timing issue. Typical of every Chinese engine out there, so I figure only one shop makes hubs for everyone in the area.....
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Piston

Hey gasrchobbyengines....

Please keep us informed of the changes that your distributor Jim from Agape is making with RCGF.
Not that I am cynical when it comes to anyone wanting to work with RCGF, but aussiesteve and T.O.M. and I did a lot of work on their 100cc engine about a year and a half ago. After RCGF followed through with the changes and if the engine was assembled correctly, the engine would start and run with little issue. The changes made were actually quite dramatic, so perche ... you need to get the upgraded components and that old 100cc will be renewed and it will run a hell of lot better too.

So the the curiosity of the changes that are being made now is high with a lot of us.

Hey AjsToyz - start with the 1/4", and take the plastic off the reed side. It should be easier to ensure a better seal too. Can you do me a small favor too.. When you look at the insulator block look sideways the top and bottom. RCGF had a molding issue early on, whereas the mating surfaces where warped. It created a situation for air leaks. I replaced a ton of blocks due to that situation. It will NOT be too hard to see. The easy way that we removed the uneven surfaces was to hand sand them on a flat surface.

Cheers
Henry

Old 11-27-2009, 05:10 PM
yearnin to Fly

ORIGINAL: Piston

Hey gasrchobbyengines....

Please keep us informed of the changes that your distributor Jim from Agape is making with RCGF.
Not that I am cynical when it comes to anyone wanting to work with RCGF, but aussiesteve and T.O.M. and I did a lot of work on their 100cc engine about a year and a half ago. After RCGF followed through with the changes and if the engine was assembled correctly, the engine would start and run with little issue. The changes made were actually quite dramatic, so perche ... you need to get the upgraded components and that old 100cc will be renewed and it will run a hell of lot better too.

So the the curiosity of the changes that are being made now is high with a lot of us.

Hey AjsToyz - start with the 1/4'', and take the plastic off the reed side. It should be easier to ensure a better seal too. Can you do me a small favor too.. When you look at the insulator block look sideways the top and bottom. RCGF had a molding issue early on, whereas the mating surfaces where warped. It created a situation for air leaks. I replaced a ton of blocks due to that situation. It will NOT be too hard to see. The easy way that we removed the uneven surfaces was to hand sand them on a flat surface.

Cheers
Henry

At this time the only changes I know about are ones that me and a few others were asking for on mounting standoffs and simple things like that. I was just asking for the smaller engines to be a little more user freindly. That is all.

Right now I mainly deal with the smaller engines, I like to convert smaller planes over from nitro to gas. It is a hobby that turned into a JOB. Oh well it is something I enjoy doing.

I am looking forward to working with everybody to make this a better hobby where we can all have more fun! I am open to sharing my ideas and I am willing to help when help is needed.

Thanks!! And HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
AJsToyz

Henry,

Mine starts easy ,I don't think there is a warp issue but I will let you know. I'll have to check that side, there is a recessed area so the reeds do not get blocked or restricted.

Andy
Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 100's were, and are, good little engines when set up right. That took a little work in the beginning...
Old 11-28-2009, 06:09 AM
barry wetherell

HI, guy's is the RCGF 26, the same motor as the RCG 26 ??? which also comes out of China
A.A. Barry
Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: barry wetherell

HI, guy's is the RCGF 26, the same motor as the RCG 26 ??? which also comes out of China
A.A. Barry

According to the box they come in (very articulate printing), the manual with them and the overall appearance of the two engines (including the same machining anomalies) - Yes - they are the same engine.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM
AJsToyz

Henry,

What ever the material is they use for carb insulator blocks shrinks BAD !! I took a good look at it and where the material is the thickest,its very concave. I will do the sanding thing with a flat wood block to get a better seal. That is funny though, was not having any complaints starting it. It starts easier then two other engines I have.

Andy
Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Piston

Hey Barry

Aussiesteve is absolutely correct.... the one thing you should be aware of is that these engines are for the Asian market only. RCGF told me this a while ago. They do not sell their first run engines to Chinese companies that sell on-line outside of China. Both he and I have many emails from the factory attesting to this.

That said, both aussiesteve and I have seen these type of engines - buy at your own peril. Warranty and service are at your risk. All may not be what it really seems!!!

Hey AJsToyz - The reason you did not see any leakage is that you had a good seal with the gasket. Unfortunately many others have not. Most of the time the problem became apparent when the user oriented the carb in another position. The gaskets would not seal in the new orientation and you had air leaks.

Yes, simply sanding and/or applying liquid gasket would resolve the air leak problem too. But we told the factory to fix the problem from their end.

And T.O.M. you are most certainly correct about the 100cc engine. When the engine was set up correctly it did run well.

Cheers
Henry

Old 11-28-2009, 12:05 PM
perche

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

A.A. Barry

According to the box they come in (very articulate printing), the manual with them and the overall appearance of the two engines (including the same machining anomalies) - Yes - they are the same engine.
Realy? so why is the plug pointing up on the rcg, and to the side on the rcgf?

Thomas
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM
perche

ORIGINAL: perche

A.A. Barry

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35568.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1322043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65704.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1322044  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:15 PM
perche

Does anyone know if the cyl on the 15cc can be rotated?

Thomas
Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

A.A. Barry

Thomas
If you look closely in the picture of the RCG it says RCGF on the ignition....
Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 PM
perche

I noticed, but that only means the ignitione is rcgf..
Old 11-28-2009, 12:46 PM
apalsson

Aussiesteve is absolutely correct.... the one thing you should be aware of is that these engines are for the Asian market only. RCGF told me this a while ago. They do not sell their first run engines to Chinese companies that sell on-line outside of China. Both he and I have many emails from the factory attesting to this.
ORIGINAL: Super08
The difference between the export quality ones and the cheaper chinese domestic quality ones are that the local ones are missing the F ?

Seriously, this is confusing for consumers to say the least. I have had people question me about this and tell me I'm overcharging for RCGF and refer to the pricing of RCG from HobbyKing.
What can you say to those people when the engine looks pretty much the same and even theignition (which isn't made by them anyway) has the RCGF logo printed on them and the box is pretty much the same too?
These are cheaper because they are missing the "F" ?

Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

True, the ignition is made by Rcexl. RCGF has had alot of different versions of the 26 and they also make different versions for different markets so it gets confusing to say the least. Also there are allot of manufactures that make clones of other engines to add to the confusion. Many of the cylinders used on the engines are shared by many engine manufactures. The cylinder used on the old 26 with the slanted fins was also used by SPE, MT, FTL and others. Bearings, pistons and crankshafts as well. Abot the only difference between them was the crankcase and ignitions. Some of them like SPE would shave the fins down on the exhaust side of the engine to save weight.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM
perche

ORIGINAL: apalsson

ORIGINAL: Super08
The difference between the export quality ones and the cheaper chinese domestic quality ones are that the local ones are missing the F ?

Seriously, this is confusing for consumers to say the least. I have had people question me about this and tell me I'm overcharging for RCGF and refer to the pricing of RCG from HobbyKing.
What can you say to those people when the engine looks pretty much the same and even theignition (which isn't made by them anyway) has the RCGF logo printed on them and the box is pretty much the same too?
These are cheaper because they are missing the ''F'' ?

I tell my customers to take a second look at the rcg engines.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 PM
barry wetherell

Guys, apart from the plug angle, the crancase is diferent, case though bolts in from the ft, Rcgf bolts through from rear,mount lugs in different positions, looks like a different motor all together, to me
Barry
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
VeeAte

All this talk of non-genuine and inferior quality must be hurting the company that actually produces these engines?

As a consumer I know it has turned me off ever buying another RCGF branded anything. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.