Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Chas
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Thanks Andy, should have rembered them, I have ordered from them before.

Chuck.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Bpar4
My Feedback: (1)

Have the 26cc with about 2 hours of run time. Last 45 in the air w/ my Obsession. These are all variable speed runs w/ no full power climbs more than 12 to 15 seconds.
Stats: 17x8 (Chinese) idle 1600-1700/7850-7900; 18x6w (APC) 1550-1600/7850-7900. Pulls good w/ APC. This engine is a gas miser. Still don't have a full gallon through it. Encountering two problems. When slowing the engine to an idle, it slows for a minute or two and then settles to the above. Once it settles low, it will stumble and stall on transition. Leaning LS or richening slightly doesn't improve it. Leaning it will slow and then stall. Richening it will just stall. Another thing, when starting from cold, I have to use an electric starter to draw the gas from the tank. It will not draw fuel w/ hand flip. Once started, it will start with a single flip. Anyone encountered anything like this? Running 32/1 Lawnboy. Bob
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Mr.FiberOptic

yeah mcmaster is the only place i could find that sold five 10-32 x 5" socket head cap screws for $11 without having to buy 50 or 100 bolts in bulk elsewhere.

there safety wire pliers are a little on the steep price. got my safety wire pliers for $25 at troybuildmodels.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:08 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

First thing i would do is change the plug.
Second thing i would do is use 40:1 synthetic oil at this point.{good name brand},Echo,Stihl,Pennzoil,ect...made for aircooled engines only.
When mine was breaking in it would do that when the LS was a little to lean.Wouldnt draw fuel when propped.[buy hand].
Also your engine is still breaking in.Also remember your HS needle effects the low speed also.Go to the zrcgf website and look at the tunning directions.
Right now my LS is 1-1/4 turns out.
My HS is 2-1/4 turns out.
I have a little over 1.5 gallons through it.Maybe,like you said,gas mizeer.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 AM
mjamm

Tseres, What size of spinner do you have on your Suk? Also, what brand? I just got a Tru-Turn for my QQ 73" Yak and the cutouts were pretty big. Great looking spinner and great customer service from TruTurn, but I like the looks of your cutouts better.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: mjamm

Tseres, What size of spinner do you have on your Suk? Also, what brand? I just got a Tru-Turn for my QQ 73" Yak and the cutouts were pretty big. Great looking spinner and great customer service from TruTurn, but I like the looks of your cutouts better.
It's a True-Turn. I measured it at 2 5/8 dia. I modified it and opened up the cutout to fit a 18-6 prop. I don't really know what size spinner my plane takes. Don't have any paperwork on the plane. It looks good on there so I used it.I have a tendency to make things fit that don't. It's the Old Die Maker in me. He He.[sm=49_49.gif]

Old Tom
Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 AM
fhm555

ORIGINAL: Mr.FiberOptic

take 2 they're small why not 2 planes and 2 engines LOL
I wish....I was too late on the Pitts so it's back to the Yak. There is however hope for the future. I was lamenting (some might call it whining) my failure to move soon enough on the S1 to SWMBO when she dropped a real bomb on me. She told me if I'm a good boy for the rest of this year, santa will bring me a quarter scale cub.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SWMBO = she who must be obeyed. Horray for Google. I laughed loud enough after finding out what it meant that my wife asked what I was chuckling about.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 AM
flaminheli

I don't know about that 1/4 cub. If I am good all year I better get a BH 50% cub
Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Mr.FiberOptic

maybe you can talk here into letting you get a parkzone ultra micro sukhoi for $160.

anyone know a good place to get a fuel dot maybe blue or red anodized.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Mr.FiberOptic

nvm i found them at pspmfg and airwild.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:12 PM
fhm555

maybe you can talk here into letting you get a parkzone ultra micro sukhoi for $160.
I've got a lil rascal and that's all the mini, micro, nanao, flea size, etc, etc, etc, I can stand. I really shouldn't be so hard on the little thing though, it's what got me out of the dirt and in to flying. After more than 12 years racing off road rc cars, a day at the flying field is sooooo much fun. I haven't been flying that long, but I have yet to see anyone throw a radio, kick an airplane, or threaten to beat someone up because they were having a bad day with their toy.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:16 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Fhm, I know exactly what you mean. I raced the off roaders too. Got really tired of hearing 40 year old men whine! [:@]
Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fhm555

take 2 they're small why not 2 planes and 2 engines LOL
I wish....I was too late on the Pitts so it's back to the Yak. There is however hope for the future. I was lamenting (some might call it whining) my failure to move soon enough on the S1 to SWMBO when she dropped a real bomb on me. She told me if I'm a good boy for the rest of this year, santa will bring me a quarter scale cub.
I have a 1/4 scale Cub (H9 Supercub, with a G26). It's worth being good the rest of the year for
Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
CJW123

You just haven't been looking long enough, it HAS happened...Been there, saw it...

I've got a lil rascal and that's all the mini, micro, nanao, flea size, etc, etc, etc, I can stand. I really shouldn't be so hard on the little thing though, it's what got me out of the dirt and in to flying. After more than 12 years racing off road rc cars, a day at the flying field is sooooo much fun. I haven't been flying that long, but I have yet to see anyone throw a radio, kick an airplane, or threaten to beat someone up because they were having a bad day with their toy.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:03 PM
VeeAte

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

Fhm, I know exactly what you mean. I raced the off roaders too. Got really tired of hearing 40 year old men whine! [:@]

Ditto.

Hobbies in my oppinion are sposed to be fun. Having people spit the dummy and have huge arguments isnt my idea of fun.

Flying can be ten times more relaxing and it gives me more adrenaline rushes than racing offroad used to. Coming in to land gets my heart pumping every time

Not to mention the satisfying explosion of the model when you crash. Something my 1/8 buggy never did. Bent parts dont look anywhere near as cool as a crater surrounded by shards of balsa and lite ply hehehe.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:24 PM
fhm555

Which size plug does the 26 use, 10 or 14 MM? There are some RCGF 26 engines on ebay with a blue top end and they have the 10mm plug, but they say they are a "special edition". Are they the real thing, or a clone? I also noticed the ignition systems are different for the different plug sizes. What's the difference (if any) between the plugs and ignitions, other than size of the plug?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:44 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

The new 26 cc engines use the CM-6 spark plug, which is really small. RCGF engines are manufactured for different distributors to their specs, within reason, which is why some are blue and some are not. The RCEXL ignition that comes with the Aerovate engines is top notch, with the only difference between them being the number of cylinders and the plug size. If you want to be sure what you're getting, order from Henry.
Sam
Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Tseres

Had a good flite with the Su. Engine started right up and ran good with the exception that it was popping in a shallow dive at full throttle.
Does that mean that the high end is to rich?

Old Tom
Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,

Popping or sputtering ? Popping is usually on the lean side , a little chug would be rich.

Andy
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
fhm555

Thanks for the info daddysam. I only asked about the plug because the only place I could find any info on plug type was on ebay, and the listing for the blue head said special edition and CM-6 plug. Since there is no plug type specified in the Aerovate 26 manual available on zrcgf.com and it's not listed anywhere in the engine specs there either, I was wondering if the CM-6 plug was part of the "special edition" package. Oh and don't worry, I've already decided to buy from Henry.

Is the CM-6 the only plug that will work in the rcgf 26? What about brands other than NGK, different heat ranges, or resistor plugs? I only ask because plug heat is a fairly valuable tuning tool with 2 stroke nitro engines and can make a big difference in ease of starting, idle, and off idle performance, as well as running temperature. I'm mainly trying to find out if I need to get a few different plugs, or if I can just depend on the CM-6 and keep a couple of spares.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I would just get some NGK CM-6 plugs and not worry. There are some threads about inexpensive places to find them here in the engine forum. Last bunch I bought were about $2 each from Boats.net.
Sam
Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
aussiesteve

The only thing "special" about those engines is a coat of blue paint (yes - paint) on the head.

Henry, Driesbabe, myself and others specifically told the factory not to apply it to our engines because it is not particularly good quality. It is also a potential source of contamination within the engines as the parts are painted (possibly without very good masking - who knows) prior to engine assembly. We told the factory that instead of applying paint, we want our engines bead blasted externally instead - this improves the cooling a lot as paint coatings can inhibit the heat transfer.

For the Plugs - the engines supplied by the factory to the suppliers up to the end of 2008 / beginning of 2009 (depending on which model) had the 14mm plugs. CM6 plugs were requested by us and became the standard to all suppliers after that time.

The factory will make different specifications for some of their "OEM" customers (Trading companies who get engines made but sold under their own names). These are similarly shaped externally but that is often where the similarity ends. (Especially with one particular chinese based trading company who sells similar shaped engines from time to time but with a very different QC inside) that is usually done because of "price negotiation" between those trading companies and the manufacturer.
Us genuine Western distributors have a different quality control altogether.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Bpar4
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Buck. Your suggestions were great. Changed to Amsoil. Reset the needles to 1-3/4 LS & 2-1/2 HS. Choked it and it spit w/o the starter. Choke off and it ran on the next flip. Had to tweek them a bit. Got in 3 good flights today (about 45 minutes of runtime). This 26 will hover the Obsession. No climb out to speak of, well an extremely slow climb. Very scary close to mother earth. And I only held it for a 30 - 45 seconds, The engine will hold 7900 (APC 18x6w). It appears to be gaining a bit. I'm thinking that with the right prop, i.e., slightly different design and lighter, would fly the plane well. Now to diet 1-1/2 lbs from the Obsession...... Will post some pictures soon. Thanks again. Bob
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Tom,

Popping or sputtering ? Popping is usually on the lean side , a little chug would be rich.

Andy
Thanks Andy.
Learning a little more every time something new to me arises.

Old Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.