Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Thanks T3 , have seen the vids you posted on the tube of the old and new 'plane you have. Sorry to hear about the mishap with the pull pull linkages.Bummer.
Least you have a good friend to help you out with the repairs , looks like he is a natural balsa carver.
Been playing around with an MT57 in a 30% Yak54 with my own home-made tuned pipe. Getting pretty good results so far roughly 700 rpm increase on a 23A Xoar 3D prop.
Pipe design should encompass a 60cc engine with a couple of mods. Plan to run the engine in stock on the Christen , get some baseline prop / rpm readings and then transfer it to the Yak (built a tuned pipe tunnel) to play with engine / pipe mods and see what the performance potential is of this engine. Should be fun.
Have been contributing to an MT57 thread on FG (can i say that here?[X(]) if you feel like having a look.
Cheers from OZ , Leon.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: awesome

Thanks T3 , have seen the vids you posted on the tube of the old and new 'plane you have. Sorry to hear about the mishap with the pull pull linkages.Bummer.
Least you have a good friend to help you out with the repairs , looks like he is a natural balsa carver.
Been playing around with an MT57 in a 30% Yak54 with my own home-made tuned pipe. Getting pretty good results so far roughly 700 rpm increase on a 23A Xoar 3D prop.
Pipe design should encompass a 60cc engine with a couple of mods. Plan to run the engine in stock on the Christen , get some baseline prop / rpm readings and then transfer it to the Yak (built a tuned pipe tunnel) to play with engine / pipe mods and see what the performance potential is of this engine. Should be fun.
Have been contributing to an MT57 thread on FG (can i say that here?[X(]) if you feel like having a look.
Cheers from OZ , Leon.
I'll take a look at that thread, I got a new MTW header from my friend because the flex header I had cracked. He had it on his DA-50/Extreme flight extra 300, it bolted right up to my engine and Can. I need to try the 23A 3d prop, the 22x10 is getting about 6800 Rpms right now, I would like it to be in the 7000+ for break in with less load.

T.J.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 AM

is it ok to wrap the ignition module with foam like that or is it better to put it under it only, does it matter?

and i think i read somewhere to put extra length between standoffs and firewall but not between standoffs and engine?

nice plane btw.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your having a heat issue it would be better not to wrap it, I do not know how warm these EI modules get. As far as spaceres, stand offs , it shouldn't really matter, might be easier to put it on the fire wall side.

Andy
Old 03-21-2009, 12:56 PM

I cut the ends of my old muffler off that came with the 62cc to take a look at the welds of the bolt tubes where the tubes meet the mounting flange. There were not any. The tubes are just pushed against the flange and then welded on the outside of the muffler. I made a 1/16" flange out of steel to help support the soft aluminum muffler flange. It will be sandwiched between the muffler and the head and have high temp gasket maker applied to both sides.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Have you heard back from Henry regarding the muffler problem? Attached is a pic of my brace bracket for the 26cc pitts setup:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13963.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1162591  
Old 03-21-2009, 01:44 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Here is another way to brace the muffler by attaching it to the standoff. It is not an RCGF, but the idea is the same.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74824.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1162602  
Old 03-21-2009, 01:48 PM

I don't know what happened there, but it didn't make a thumb nail to click on. If you click on the pic it will make it smaller.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:55 PM
My Feedback: (9)

You know, I almost like your idea better. I'll have to check out the possibilities...
Sam
Old 03-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Not my idea, the bracket and clamp came with the muffler.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Nope, never heard back from Henry [sm=punching.gif] .
Old 03-21-2009, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: flaminheli

I cut the ends of my old muffler off that came with the 62cc to take a look at the welds of the bolt tubes where the tubes meet the mounting flange. There were not any. The tubes are just pushed against the flange and then welded on the outside of the muffler. I made a 1/16" flange out of steel to help support the soft aluminum muffler flange. It will be sandwiched between the muffler and the head and have high temp gasket maker applied to both sides.
It doesn't spell quality of manufacturing if you have to make your own flanges to improve poor material selection and fit in the stock muffler.
Most people wouldn't have the tools or the know-how to do this but would end up with an engine with a damaged muffler.

I wonder when they will improve this in manufacturing
Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps with all the complaining about mufflers they will do like the high end engine manufacturers do and eliminate them altogether.

Sorry, but if most of you folks were into the real good stuff you wouldn't be here. You'd be spending a lot more money and buying mufflers separate from the engine at additional cost. From my perspective it seems that a few of you are looking for the cheapest way you can to get by and if it's not up to your standards you'll complain because you got what you paid for. In most cases you got more than you paid for but that's still not good enough.

Personally, I'm surprised they include mufflers at all for what they charge for an engine. You do have the option of chucking the included mufflers and going to Slimline, Bisson, J-tec, J&A, and Abell to obtain better.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:16 PM

T.O.M.

I'm very happy about these and am quite suprised they give you a muffler. I have a Brisson with a pitts and it came loose during flight and almost ruined the engine. After doing a little research I found out about bracing it. I priced the pitts and the Engine and that was the only reason I bought the plane. CMpro Extra 300S With Brisson 2.4 I think it runs 550.00 no muffler then the pitts was 89.00 ,the plane cost me 300.00 receiver ready. Were you the one talking about the pitts mufflers wanting to fall off ?? I might just get a differant style muffler all together and eliminate the problem.

Andy
Old 03-21-2009, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Perhaps with all the complaining about mufflers they will do like the high end engine manufacturers do and eliminate them altogether.

Sorry, but if most of you folks were into the real good stuff you wouldn't be here. You'd be spending a lot more money and buying mufflers separate from the engine at additional cost. From my perspective it seems that a few of you are looking for the cheapest way you can to get by and if it's not up to your standards you'll complain because you got what you paid for. In most cases you got more than you paid for but that's still not good enough.

Personally, I'm surprised they include mufflers at all for what they charge for an engine. You do have the option of chucking the included mufflers and going to Slimline, Bisson, J-tec, J&A, and Abell to obtain better.
"Sorry, but if most of you folks were into the real good stuff"

Do ya hear this Henry? You actually have info on your site from this man and he is calling the products you sell poor quality. I understand alot of people respect his opinion. I for one do. But I would not have anything he has to say on my site if I were trying to sell something that he is speaking poorly of.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM

I guess it all comes down to how things are marketed.
I haven't seen anything in the advertising suggesting that the included mufflers are "low grade add-ons"

Many of the engine manufacturers do indeed include mufflers. My 1/4 H9 Taylorcraft flew on G26 with the stock muffler and it did very well.
My 1/5 Pepsi Chipmunk also had the stock muffler on a G38 but admittedly, I added a manifold and a second muffler (Briggs & Stratton), mainly for scale look and sound.

Building mufflers properly in the first instance is without doubt cheaper in the long run than lost sales and market share due to people havinga poor image of the product due to low grade inclusions like mufflers. That will do even the best engine damage in the market
Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (198)

Henry (Aerovate) is one distributor who, in collaboration with OTHER distributors, has used input from T.O.M., me, and lots of others to make the RCGF engines that *HE* sells the first-rate performers and quality products they have become.

He, *HENRY*, did not design the muffler, nor does RCGF. There is a "muffler maker" who is OEM'd to just about every Chinese engine made who makes ALL of the frail, poorly-welded, pieces of crap that sometimes work, and sometimes leak, and sometimes fail. They are made cheaply by the OEM seller so that the engine manufacturer can focus on what we ***REALLY*** care about, and that is the quality and performance of the ENGINE.

The crappy mufflers are NOT "Henry's Problem", nor Aerovate, nor RCGF. Maybe they should try to get them improved, maybe not, but it wouldn't be free, then there would be gripes about the "cost" of making it better.

[edited to remove personal comment]
Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Bob either that or just drop the muffler and be done with it. Most of the other major brands with the exception of the Chinese engines don't include a muffler. The same beef was going on in the DL threads a year ago and I have seen it mentioned in every thread about Chinese engines. I don't worry about it and just go out and buy a well made muffler and be done with it. I have a drawer full of included mufflers I have never used.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 PM

Plus
The Muffler issue is currently with the 62cc. There have been Very few failures on other engine sizes (In fact, I have not experienced any with the engines I have dealt with - not sure of the exact statistics with other distributors but we do all talk to each other regularly and if there was a major occurrence, I am sure I would have heard about it).

Yes, they are the "Included muffler" but the issue is also partly caused by the design of the exhaust flange on the 62cc Cylinder. (The flange allows the muffler flange to extrude into the cylinder bolt slots). That IS bering addressed by the factory and the next cylinders should be coming out with a more standard design.

Actually, We have a lot to be thankful for for some of the cheaper engines. I see a number of guys that will put up their first post saying something like "I have never had a gasser before" then within a month or so, they are posting Advice to the world. The price of these engines introduces them to Gassers and allows them to realise just how simple they are to deal with.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Bob, T.O.M and Super are right on the money. If you want a really good muffler, go out and buy one. T.O.M never said a bad word about these engines, and I think that is the most important thing that everyone is buying. You could go out and buy one of the name brand engines for twice the cost PLUS buy an aftermarket muffler to go with it. The way I think is if the muffler is useable and lasts for awhile, then it's just gravy.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 PM

I am not blaming anyone for the poor quality of the muffler. Although I am blaming Henry for not atleast P.M.ing me back with a reply or answering any of my posts on this thread. I purchased the engine for the great reviews it has recieved from everyone, I look at the muffler as a freebie that I am improving on so that it will work for me. Bob, you are probably right. I am sure there are a few people on here that have forgotten more than I have learned about gas engines, among other things. But then again look at the age differance. The over the hill crowd, compared to us younger ones with lots of learning years ahead of us.

On a side note. I am sure most of you have heard of Curtis Youngblood, world champion heli pilot. He is a local native of Bryan/College Station, Texas. I was at the LHS the other day that mostly deals in Helis but has alot of things for planes or he will get it for ya. Low and behold Curtis was there helping out the customers. He was sharing his many years of experience in the hobby with up and coming pilots. He seemed like an average person with an average attitude.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:39 PM

I think it was Henry that got two choices from his wife, go on vacation , or go on vacation.

Andy
Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AJs,

Yes, I'm the one that has suggested many times over the years that mufflers have a support other than the muffler attachment bolts. I've seen mufflers loosen, fall off, and/or severely damage heads too many times to count. I've seen numerous mufflers fall off of very high end products that took down the plane in the process. The solutions were always easy. Add a brace and eliminate the muffler gasket. The gasket is where the loose muffler issue begins, but not where it ends. i've had many discussions were it was implied I didn't know what I was talking about since so and so never had it happen to them.

flaminheli,

With all due respect, people buying RCGF, DL, MT, and some of the other alphabet engines do so because they simply can't afford the more expensive engines. Without the opportunity made available to them via the Chinese manufacturers they would not be flying gas at all. Fact of life, the eastern engines are not up to DA, 3w, ZDZ, Taurus, and MVVS quality levels. You most certainly do get more for your money with those engines. Are the eastern engines not worth the money? That's not the case at all but don't expect any of them to have a life cycle equal to the majors. Agreed there is a compensation difference between the high and low priced engines but not all of that is due to area costs of living by any means. Part of it is due to machine quality, QA, and materials used.

So am I stating that RCGF engines are low quality? Not at all. I am saying people are getting what they pay for, and in most cases getting much more than they paid for. All the griping about the less than perfect mufflers is real irritating, especially when some make them out to be the most important part of an engine. If people want a real good muffler, go buy one and quit whining about it. Most of the muffler manufacturers will make precisely what you want if you provide the dimensions. Yes, it will be at a price. The same holds true with bass boats and other optional hobby areas. You can buy the least expensive or you can buy the most expenbsive. The differences between the two are generally obvious and not limited to the difference in the price paid.

Myself and others have been trying to get the muffler quality improved since before most of you knew RCGF existed. Had we not your mufflers might not fit the engines at all, and definately would not be as good as they are. If the people making the mufflers wanted them to be better then just about all the Chinese engines would already have better mufflers. Nothing anyone has been able to do about it so move on and buy a different muffler. It's exactly the reason that RCGF USA has comissioned a couple of people to design and produce some new mufflers. When all thre different variants for all the different engines are finished with design and production I'm very certain they will be made availabel. just as I'm certain they will add to the cost of an engine and not be available for free. BTW, unless you are using a cannister or tuned pipe our mufflers are not mufflers at all, just basic exhaust diverters with some frequently useful shapes. Any reduction in dB level is just dumb luck.

I need to go find a good block of cheese to accompany the whines that are about to begin.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM

I need to go find a good block of cheese to accompany the whines that are about to begin.

Way to Go T.O.M.

In all seriousness. I 100% agree with ALL of what You stated in your post.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:21 PM

TOM, no whinning here. You stated some really good facts. Like I said before, I am not blaming anyone for the failure of my "exhaust deflector". Like I also said before, I consider it a freebie. Therefore have accepted it's quality, or lack of. It will serve my purpose. I installed it earlier today just as you said to with the high temp gasket maker along with the steel flange or shim or gasket, what it may be called that I made. I have ran 4 tanks thru it on the ground at all throttle positions with no sign of a leak. So it is serving it's purpose.

But on a differant note. What you are saying about get what you pay for, that is nonsense. If you buy a car for $30,000 instead of another make that has similiar features and sells for $40,000, would you expect the car you bought for $30,000 to have to go to the shop all of the time for repairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.