Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCGF Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:28 AM
VeeAte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCGF Engines

Is it possible to remove the spark plug boot from the spark plug lead so I can drill a hole in the fuse and put the ignition etc inside the fuse somewhere?

I would mount it on the engine stand-offs (only place I have room in the engine bay), but I am a bit concerned about vibration and heat.

Not real keen to solder etc if at all possible. I can solder, but not well

I run 2.4Ghz Spektrum radio gear if that helps.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just heard from Henry this morning. They are in as of yesterday. I'll be ordering one as soon as they're able to take my order. WooHoo!!
Edwin
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM
outacntrl

its on a ultra rc giles202..pic is b4 i put the cap on correctly..almost ready for the maiden flight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63113.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1159783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64710.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1159784  
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM
AJsToyz

Is that one rod for your choke ? Plane looks good, nice job.

Andy
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
AJsToyz

Edwin,

I slipped Henry a 5 spot to send me mine first!! Just kidding, I took out the Lanier with the G23 this morning and the engine ran great! I like the no oil snot on the plane, was a beautiful thing. Now, I should have checked the CG before flying, I figured since the plane was set up it should have been good ??? The plane flew like a submarine wanting to return home. Anything less than half throttle and it was going down!! I'll fix it, check the CG and fly it again. I'm going to put the Corsair up with the G90 and see how I like it. If it goes good, I'll be stripping off the G90 and the 20 will be on the way!!

Andy
Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not a dealer and I do not receive free product for my efforts. Depending on a distributors mood I might receive a small discount on small parts but expecting that would be foolish on my part.

I don't fly anything smaller than 50cc sized planes with most of my efforts devoted to 100cc aircraft. I have not flown a 50cc RCGF but I have a pair of the rear inducted 100cc twins. One early version and one new version. The older version has been upgraded to new version standards. It was one of the original consumer test engines that were run to establish baselines and to determine areas that needed improvement. This was whn I lesarned that the factory and distributors listened to the customers in advancing quality and performance. I had a lot of gripes with the original 100 but every area that I noted was altered in subsequent production runs to achieve the improvements myself and others noted. Some were costly for the factory and might have been ignored by other manufacturers.

Performance wise it equals a major name 100 twin in rpm. Weight wise it's lighter than the majors or a DL. The DL 100 has slightly more power but offsets that with excess vibration. The RCGF 100 is a lot smoother running than the DL. It flies a 25 pound, 35% Edge effortlessly in aerobatic and 3D flight. It also hauled a 40%, 26 pound Giles with no problems. Break in takes a few tanks to establish a consistent idle but I've found that to be true with any engine. In my opinion the 100's are a good value for the dollar spent.

Are they the best of the best? Who knows, but you are not spending over a grand for an engine and extra for mufflers. They have plenty of power and are smooth runners, doing the job they were intended to perform quite well. Since I tinker extensively with engine I generally require a supply of parts. I have been able to obtain parts from any one of the distributors as they are available. If one distributor is short on parts the others step up to the plate to cover the slack. It's my feeling that nobody is going to get a raw deal buying an RCGF engine. What makes them especially attractive (aside from pricing) is the wide size range they have over any other engine manufacturer. So you have a lot of different sized planes that you can power for lower costs.

Overall it's a pretty good balance.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

I second that T.O.M.! They have the best selections of engines that I've seen so far! and I know of a couple more gems to come! lets just say everybody is gonna be happy campers.

T.J.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Mr.FiberOptic

can't wait til thursday for my 62 to arrive

the jtec wraparound i ordered still hasn't shipped yet or they are shipping it without a ship confirmation or something.

nice giles by the way.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Mr.FiberOptic

just got the MPI 3.5" spinner and it's to small for the Xoar 22x8 prop. i guess i should go with a 4".
anyone need a 3.5" aluminum.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 PM
AJsToyz

Steve,

If you hear from Henry, can you ask him if he's going to the Toledo show?

Andy
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Steve,

If you hear from Henry, can you ask him if he's going to the Toledo show?

Andy
I already know the answer to that - Yes he is

He may be at the KMP Stall - not sure on that though.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Is the spinner too small or is it just the cutouts? You can enlarge the cutouts or go with a spinner that is designed for thick props. Companies like Dave Brown and Tru Turn sell spinners with big slots. Or if you're good with a dremel tool and file, you can enlarge them yourself.
Sam
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Wolf_Pack

Hey guys
Im having a problem setting the throttle up. Ive changed everthing, pretty much the same set up as Pit-Viper. Its a clear run from servo to throttle. Im wondering if I need a higher torque servo, im still buzzing when I throttle up. I could really use a few suggestions. Tired Old Man thought it might be binding somewhere, that dont seem to be the problem. Im thinking servo. Im using a futaba 3004. Is it possible it not enough
. Could really use some help Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 PM
brewski

I run a MPI 3.5 on my xoar 22-8 prop. You will need to drimel it out for the 22-8 but that is normal. Some dealers will do it for you for a small fee.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Mr.FiberOptic

the jtec wraparound i ordered still hasn't shipped yet or they are shipping it without a ship confirmation or something.

nice giles by the way.
Here is what your 62 will look like. Mine is in a Top Flite P47. I won't be any help to anyone untill mid to late summer. Even at that,the only help I'll be is to tell you guys what not to do.

Old Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50517.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1160177  
Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 PM
flaminheli

ORIGINAL: Wolf_Pack

Hey guys
Im having a problem setting the throttle up. Ive changed everthing, pretty much the same set up as Pit-Viper. Its a clear run from servo to throttle. Im wondering if I need a higher torque servo, im still buzzing when I throttle up. I could really use a few suggestions. Tired Old Man thought it might be binding somewhere, that dont seem to be the problem. Im thinking servo. Im using a futaba 3004. Is it possible it not enough
. Could really use some help Thanks
I am running a 3152 on my throttle and it buzzes at all positions between idle and wide open. I think it is a matter of the servo having spring tension from the throttle arm on the engine causing it to buzz. The same servo does not buzz when hooked up to a glow engine linkage because there is not spring pulling against it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 PM
AJsToyz

Steve,

Thank you very much! I hope he has a rear carb 20 with him!

Andy
Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Tseres

ORIGINAL: Mr.FiberOptic

nice giles by the way.
Here is what your 62 will look like. Mine is in a Top Flite P47. I won't be any help to anyone untill mid to late summer. Even at that,the only help I'll be is to tell you guys what not to do.

Old Tom
Thats one nice looking engine you got there Tseres!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Wolf_Pack

Thanks for getting back so quick. Thats what I thought. I said that a couple pages back and someone said I bet its binding somewhere. That spring does feel pretty stiff for the servo. Wont the buzzing burn out the servo? Or will a higher torque work. I do apprecate the feedback thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Mr.FiberOptic

im told the 4" spinner is the same way. i also think it looks a little small in proportion to my cowl on this sukhoi. i know the 3.5" will work with this prop since others use this same spinner and prop.

if it will work for a 22x10 and 23x8 then i will just have to dremel it out. i asked in another thread where to get a profile gage. can i ask here too lol.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Fiber I make mine out of cardboard cut to fit top of prop and then cut to fit bottom of prop then glue together and cut to match prop laying flat on edge of table. then take the pattern and lay out on another cardboard and mark it and cut it out . set spinner on flat table without back plate and wrap pattern on spinner and mark it off. Sounds worse than it really is but you will have a nice cut out.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The throttle spring will not burn out a servo. It should easily last over 100 hours against that spring. I know this because Futaba mini analog servos (50 in lb torque) will hold up against a 40 in lb spring for that long and longer. The drain on a battery is very small and unless you flew more than 10 flights a day would not be a factor.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM
FOOPED
My Feedback: (8)

Tseres a word for you on the muffler get a 1/16 steel plate and cut to match your exhaust and drill bolt holes dead center then put on the engine then the muffler or else the muffler will pull the soft flange into the lug on the engine and crack your muffler inside the bolt tubes.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 PM
flaminheli

ORIGINAL: FOOPED

Tseres a word for you on the muffler get a 1/16 steel plate and cut to match your exhaust and drill bolt holes dead center then put on the engine then the muffler or else the muffler will pull the soft flange into the lug on the engine and crack your muffler inside the bolt tubes.
+1. Dealing with the problem right now.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Wolf_Pack

Thanks Tired. Just trying to get it right. You guys have the experince I do apprecate the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.