Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Robart R780 Radial (It's The Real Deal)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Robart R780 Radial (It's The Real Deal)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 03:03 AM
CyberTom-DELETE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart R780 Radial (It's The Real Deal)

I just finished breaking in my new Robart R780 7-Cylinder radial engine. This engine is impressive.

It's not just a highly detailed and expensive toy for someone’s executive desk, this thing really works! It was made to fly!

Every increment of the throttle produces and exact and unwavering change in RPM. It has an almost completely linear response. No blubbering or getting rich in the middle.

Supper smooth transitions. Every cylinder fires all the time and all of the glow plugs show a similar burn pattern. The intake impeller must really be doing its job of keeping things evenly mixed.

The strangest but most pleasant surprise is that it is quiet. I would guess less than half as loud as the Saito 325R5D radial.
At low RPM say about 1,200 it just put..put..puts like the real thing.

The glow driver actually hinders the engine near half throttle. I noticed that when I switched it on near 1/2 throttle the engine started to loose RPM. It doesn’t need it or want it after the half-way mark.

This engine is expensive, but unlike many expensive things, you actually get what you expect which is the finest scale radial glow engine on the planet.

My hat is off to Robart for raising the bar of excellence and making and exceptional radial engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	83391_20708.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	49043  
Old 06-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Lowlevldevl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart R780 Radial (It's The Real Deal)

I've been reading up on this engine, and it is impressive. But, it is a 22.5 percent scale replica of the 300 hp Jacobs 7 cylinder radial, and I wouldnt expect anything less from it. The "Shaky Jake" as it is commonly referred to is one of the best radials ever made. I flew cropdusters for a while after flight school, and had the opportunity to fly an old A model Ag Cat with the 300 horse Jake on the nose. it didnt win any speed or load lifting contests, but it was rock solid reliable. Cant say that about some of the 985 and 1340 Pratts I have sat behind. I am glad someone is finally making a SCALE working replica of an actual radial that runs like it is supposed to, even if it does cost almost as much as the real thing!!