Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-20 or 21

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Neo gold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito FG-20 or 21

Today.. when i finished work, i decided to take the Razorback up to my flying club for a test flight, previously the engine was dissmantled & the lower crankcase gasket was replaced...
I received my H9 Bluenose metal mounting & fitted that a few days ago, i'm still on the original spark plug & saito ignition....the top end was a little too lean on the ground so adjusted out a couple of clicks, low to high was very responsive & clean, i was using a Master airscrew 15"6...i only had one 20 min flight & it performed brilliantly!!..a little quick with that prop on!, this weekend i'll leave my APC 16"6 on this, that prop makes a great scale flight & crisp response.
Perseverance is key.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't be afraid to evaluate the engine in flight as to rich or lean. Make a landing and adjust a click accordingly?

A 15 X 8 may be a better prop?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm back at spending hours and hours with the Saito POS-20 engine. This Winter I put the new carb on it, and had Horizon replace the ignition.

Started it up yesterday with stock needle settings, spooled it up, imediatelly got 9600RPM with a 15x6 prop. Leaned it out till I got 9800RPM then it started to fall back, so I went richer until I got 9800RPM back, then went two clicks rich, just like the new manual says.

Went to the high end and adjusted just a tiny bit, transition was great, idle was high but acceptable I guess.

Shut it off, topped off the fuel and went to fly the plane, and bam, can't get the engine to run above half-stick without horrible missing. I can't tune the missing out on the ground no matter what.

What happened? Did the fricking ignition fry itself again? My last ignition completely stopped working thats why I had Horizon send me a new one.

What should I try next? I can't unload this piece of garbage on Ebay so I mine as well stick more money and time into it. Should I try the CH Ignition?

Here is a Youtube video I took with my phone, listnen to the RPMS climb and watch and listen to the engine shake the plane as I get higher in RPM. I shut the engine off because I was pissed.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6Klay5oHg[/link]

...Timbers
Old 05-23-2010, 03:53 PM
mike early

Frustration in a box!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

People at my field think I'm nuts for spending this much time money and effort trying to get this thing to work. I'm only a few hours from Horizon I feel like taking the plane and the engine down to Horizon and getting results that way. They must have completely disregarded any pre-market testing with this engine. Imagine how pissed people would be if Apple put out the new iPad and it worked like this. Horizon needs to fix their mistake and start offering parts to us that make this engine run correctly.

...Timbers
Old 05-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Mustang314
My Feedback: (1)

Hang in there. It took me about nine months to get my FG-20 sorted out. It now runs as well as any engine I own. I am swinging a 17-6 prop 7700 RPM WOT and 1900 idle. Flies a H9 J3 Cub beautifully including on floats when the all up weight is 19-1/2 lbs. I frankly could not ask for more now that I got it straightened out.
Fred
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: Timbers

People at my field think I'm nuts for spending this much time money and effort trying to get this thing to work. I'm only a few hours from Horizon I feel like taking the plane and the engine down to Horizon and getting results that way. They must have completely disregarded any pre-market testing with this engine. Imagine how pissed people would be if Apple put out the new iPad and it worked like this. Horizon needs to fix their mistake and start offering parts to us that make this engine run correctly.

...Timbers
Stick the engine in a chopper. Then you will get it to run.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

Looking for some feedback/opinions:

Back story; I loved the concept of the Saito FG, so when I managed to get one from the local hobby shop I jumped on it. Mounted it in an extra 330 and broke it in on the ground then when flying fell victim to my impatience again and cracked up my extra - came in flat and hard, toasted the spindly fuse but the FG20 wasn't scratched. Debated what to do and ended up working some other projects and sat on the FG20. I then became enthused for a twin FG20 project, picked up another intending to abandon the extra. Now I have two FG20's and I hear about the talk of a replacement carb and that they ship with an aluminum mount now. I decided regardless of my twin project, I should really get these FG20 run in, tuned, and learn their ins and outs so I ordered a replacement fuse for my extra to learn the engines on (seemed a great combo and had several comments on how great the FG20 was in the extra when I was flying it) I'll swap one engine for the other once the first is running great, then either look for another home for the first or back to the twin project.

SO- today I called Horizon because I couldn't find any bulletin on the new carbs other than the chatter here. Mike, the tech, said send it in with the normal repair form and after repairs are made I'll be billed. I tried to get clarification on if I would get a quote or just be billed for work done and we seemed to have a communication issue - he kept indicating he couldn't give me a repair quote, I asked if I'd be given a quote or just billed.

Questions-
1) - should I send just send in one engine, both engines, just one carb, both carbs?
2) - how much are people being charged for the replacement carbs?
3) - is there information posted somewhere I can't find about new carbs, or is this not official?

TIA
-da
Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM
w8ye

I doubt you will get an aluminum mount unless you pay for it.

The new carbs are supposed to be free exchange?

But Horizon management is not homogenized and those people you talk to when you call in do not march to the same drummer as the people that work on the engines. This makes for some ill feelings sometimes.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

Yes.

Contact Randy Green in our Product Support area and he can provide you the process. We will need your old carb back and we will swap you out a new carb. The PST phone number is: 1-877-504-0233. This is not a recall of the older carbs, but if anyone purchased the engine with the original carb and would like to have the new one they can by following the procedures that Randy will provide.

Pete
Here is the original post about the carb.

You must talk to Randy Green. I called and got the brush off from the guy that answered the phone. The phone number above is Horizon's complaint department. It is not Randy Green's number.

Calling either Horizon or Tower service is usually a depressing case of frustration within itself. You have to call and leave your number. In the next day or two, someone will call you back, then you have to tell them that you want to talk to Randy Green and they transfer you. But then again, he is not at the desk and you have to leave a message on his phone. Then he will call you back. It is a impossible task for the working man. Takes a week to get him? Once you get to Randy, everything is OK.

They want you to fill out the form and send the old carb in with the form, then they have been sending you a modified carb. This form is available off their site on the Net. You can download it without calling them.

Here's the form: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Content/...rchecklist.pdf

What we need is Randy Green's extension number? It will save a lot of time dealing with the FIREWALL.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 AM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Here is the original post about the carb.
w8ye, thanks for that. I tried reading back through the thread where it came up and doing a search but I just didn't catch that post.

I'll refill my patience tank and see if I can't reach Randy.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM
MarkJ59
My Feedback: (1)

So how's the glow version of the FG-20 working for you? Still running good? Flew mine for the first time yesterday. Ran good on the top end but surged in the mid range. Will fly with gas for now but may make the switch like you did if I can't get it tuned.

Mark
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
grgfraz

well when i got it up in the air it still did not run right , so i think its the carb !! this is the third carb on this motor horizan knows there a problem dam it , i ordered a glow carb and manifold the manifold is on backorder i will let you know. good luck
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
w8ye

I don't think the glow manifold will fit into the gas head

It works better to use the gas manifold but watch the seal at the carb end.

The gas manifold is smaller in diameter than the glow manifold
Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 PM
grgfraz

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I don't think the glow manifold will find into the gas head

It works better to use the gas manifold but watch the seal at the carb end.

The gas manifold is smaller in diameter than the glow manifold
thanks for the info i will see someone here said the glow manifold fits good , i know you have both so we will see ! i was having nightmares over this motor so if it runs good on glow i will be very happy and no more wasted days at the field.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Neo gold

Well today was going really well with the CmPro razorback..the engine was 'On song' & i decided to give it a real 'work out!...the plane held together nicely& i engaged some fighter manouvers & Super giant loops!!...slow rolls & not a murmer from the Fg20...no misses coughs anything!..
Then....LATER in the day i came around for a fast pass...'BANG!' "what the hell!?"...the engine stopped abruptly, i came down fast & got the plane down & feathered it out for a great landing & was applauded!!..
The Fg20 however, on close inspection back at the hanger...had thrown the con-rod through the crankcase!!...hell yeah!..
Twenty + engines & never had one do this before.
Boxed up & going back to horizon on monday folks .
Now running an APC 16x6 & Blue nose metal mounting & still on orig plug & 2nd DCI, fuel mixed @ 20:1 using Castrol TTs super synthetic ' as manual'.
Been getting 25 minute flight times!!. & main needle set on richer side & pinning a slight vapour trail on clear days.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 AM
pww1947
My Feedback: (5)

Has anyone inverted the FG-20 in a Pulse 125 ?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 AM
rwijnhov

Still loving mine. 16x6 apc is the perfect prop for this engine.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Neo gold

Was loving mine...esp the 25min flights!...should be back soon, ...4x25min flights on the last day of its demise , wondering if it returns with updated parts?.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 AM
rwijnhov

Ok how do you guys dial in for sagging? If i tune it the low so that it has great transition and wil not run fat at 1/3 throtle in inverted flight the eninge will always sag when running idle. If i richen the low end up a bit so the sagging is gone. It will always run a bit fat when running at 1/3 throtlle inverted flight. MIne has used about 10L now so it is still running in.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 AM
w8ye

The pump in the carb is not very strong and the engine is very sensitive to tank position.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Yakman2910
My Feedback: (6)

W8yem,I don't know why you keep picking on me but I guess your Mad because I fixed over 50 of these FG-20 Junkyard engines and you can't figure out how to keep yours running right.If you wan't me to fix your engine I will e-mail you with my address and you can send it to me.I have all the new gaskets cut and fuel pumps made so it will only be with me for a day before I ship it back.As far as the other stuff goes,I don't date men so you will have to find that other stuff out on a different website.Just because im rich it doesn't mean that I am not a great person.I have helped alot of people out here and because I got one of the first FG-20 engines I deserve to *****!If you ordered a set iof custom cut motorcycle rims from me and I sent them to you and after opening them you found out that they were square instead of round,I think you would be mad and want to return them.If I said I would fix them for you and you sent them to me and I tried to beat them round and sent them back and they werte still messed up an this kept going on and on,I think you would have the right to ***** about this product until ity was right.Saito used the public to weed out the problems with the FG-20 because Saito released the product too soon before the bugs were worked out.But it seems there are still guys like you out there that buy junk and don't care,.I made over 3 mill last year alone but it still makes me mad when I spend 600 plus for something that doesnt work.I know you didnt know that people were sending me race hate mail before I posted a few things but I think you should have sensed something was wrong when all you usually see is kind words and ghelp from me,but I guess thats why your a Moderator on a website anmd not an FBI agent.Well ,glad we could talk and you can do what ever you want,Im tired of helping people like you that get mad and wanna talk bad about people you dont even know!Thanks John President Phycho Cycles
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Yakman2910

Hey I used a Saito Golden Knight 150 in my Pulse 125 and its a BEAST! Seeya!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Yakman2910

It is truely sad how horizon hobby and Saito are handling this Saito FG-20.This has really been a shot to the trust of Saito and Horizon hobby.This just goes to show you that Horizon and Saito really don't care abou their customers and only care about the Dollar signs!I hope that alot of people are boycotting Horizon and Saito!Give these people their money back.Let me know if anyone wants to get a class action suit against this lemon of a product.Shame on Horizon,Saito and Rc universe for allowing so many R/C people to be ripped off on such a piece of junk.Just think of all these kids out there that spent their last dollar on what they thought was a quality Saito engine and after spending 500+ dollars for the engine and several hundred more dollars they still have an engine that cost over 800+ dollars and doesnt work!Shame on all for ripping these people off and shame on Saito for killing their good NAME!For shame Saito,Horizon and R/C universe for allowing this to happen.This FG-20 is almost as bad as the BP ouil spill,in fact there is more blowby oil ion the table while breaking in then the first couple days iof the spill!Shame on BP,Horizon,RC iniverse ansSAITO!SAITO= JUMK!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Yakman2910

Wow W8ye the truth hurts and I guess your not aloud to speak it here.Lets face it the FG-20 is the piece of junk of the century!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.