Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

The Syssa is supposed to be a really good running engine. I just received a DLE and I have to say It looks great inside and out, and has no piston bind.

If you want a rear exhaust, get the Syssa. If you want to swing bigger props go with the DLE. The power is very close and so is the quality.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to remind you that this is the SYSSA thread and no one is going to Hijack it with a DLE.

Any more DLE talk will be removed!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I think its funny that the DLE has a few bugs but its great, the Syssa had two bad prop hub keys and it has issues?

Priceless.
I agree, doesn't sound fair at first glance. But facts remain, the DLE, MT and Syssa are all relatively new engine designs and all have shown to have a few bugs, problems or issues ... whatever anyone might choose to call them. These companies will iron out the problem areas, redesign areas if necessary and we will all benefit in the long run. The strong will survive and the rest will just go away.

Oh yes, a 3rd case of the broken key was reported by 1932 and his engine was produced months before MsgtRob's. We'll call it a bug for now and an issue later on when more are reported.

Hope this doesn't qualify as brand "D" talk as it isn't meant that way. I own a Syssa, I don't own that other brand engine.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Gungadin

w8yeThank you sir !
Old 03-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

I hate to ask the bottom line question guys, but....

I am looking to buy a 30cc gas engine for a 25% extra; have the bugs been worked out of the Syssa (yes, I would love to buy American), or should I buy a DLE-30 for now, and let the dust settle?
I like to buy American too. Here is an American designed and made kit for the 30cc market. The balsa is the only thing not home grown in this kit and at 1550 squares and 10 pound flying weight for a 30cc is a winner, but then again I am partial as I helped develop and bring this kit to market. Now in stock.

http://www.wrongwayrc.com/WrongWayRC...r_Product.html
Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I want to remind you that this is the SYSSA thread and no one is going to Hijack it with a DLE.

I would think a bit of brand comparison would be reasonable and expected. Out and out discussion of other brand engines would be off topic. But then, I could be wrong.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Welcome to the club, Truckracer..
Hey Rich, send me one of the planes...I will use it to do a comparison test with my DLE, Syssa, JC28, and G26....
And your props...
Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM

Dang Ralph, I did not know you are a builder too!!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Antique

On occasion....
And yes, I DO own all of the engines mentioned, have disassembled all, and a WHOLE bunch more...(When #411 arrives)
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM

BTW The Laminar Yak will fly great with either of those engines. Here is a vid on a not well tuned brand new motor....brand x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUyvgSYCMA
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Antique

Welcome to the club, Truckracer..
Hey Rich, send me one of the planes...I will use it to do a comparison test with my DLE, Syssa, JC28, and G26....
And your props...
Hey Ralph,

Hope this is on topic. Somewhere on here I offered to send you my Syssa for testing alongside those other engines. You're welcome to it but of course if the keyway breaks, you'll have to fix it! Maybe you could go into the Syssa prop driver replacement business like they did for backplates on that other engine! This post is doomed for sure now! [8D]
Old 03-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Antique

Thanks, I'll wait for mine....Gotta see why it has a straight crank with a hard key instead of a taper....
Old 03-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I would think a bit of brand comparison would be reasonable and expected. Out and out discussion of other brand engines would be off topic. But then, I could be wrong.
I agree with Truckracer, we need some comparisons between the different engines by people who actually own them.

I was going to buy a DLE 30, and only saw two of them at our field and three at another field. The engines seemed to have a great deal of power and were easy to start. Some people were having problems with the engine quiting at idle. I didn't know if it was just operator error or a real issue till I checked on RCU. That is also how I found out about the SYSSA engine, most of the people at our field had never seen or heard of it.

We have about 200 members at the field I fly at the most and over 300 at the other field I fly at. As far as I know, I'm the only one with a SYSSA engine.

I normally don't buy a new product until it has been out at least two years and the major issues have been worked out. Thanks to the comments from the SYSSA engine owners and Todd from the manufacturing side I learned a lot about the engine and the customer support for the engine without ever seeeing one, Thanks to RCU, I had the information I needed to make a decision to get one now instead of waiting any longer.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

I agree with Truckracer, we need some comparisons between the different engines by people who actually own them.
We should start a 30 class engine comparison thread then open discussion would be OK, though probably heated at times.

I poke fun at the Syssa and other engine problems but still believe the Syssa is really a great little engine. I'm certainly not sorry I bought one and look forward to flying it this season. First flights last fall were very encouraging.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 30's are real popular now. It would be a good time to have a open thread about 30's in general?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
PlaneKrazee

Chillax. I only answered one question.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I LOVED how my Syssa SAP 180 30CC flew my Clip-Wing Coupe. We had TWO Syssas running together in two Coupes, one 12 pounds+, one 15 pounds+...

Both broken in for about an hour and a half when these videos were taken. The only issue we had, and it was no real issue, was that when the temp went up above 80 we had to retune (lean) both Syssas. As soon as that was done they were back to running perfectly. Once mine has been started from cold, each time after that I only give it a little flip over the top with my fingertips and the engine is idling like a baby. EVERY TIME. What an awesome engine. The AMA Chapter VIII photographer was there and took video footage. The footage is pretty good, our flying is so-so because neither plane is really anywhere close to dialed in yet. Still, you can hear both engines. One has inserts and the other doesn't. The inserts seem to smooth out the sound as well as reduce it. very nice.

Hope you like the footage!

http://www.icanflyrc.com/Tricityflye...MonoCoup1.html

http://www.icanflyrc.com/Tricityflye...MonoCoup2.html

~ Jim ~
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 PM
MsgtRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree but then again I 've been moderated on this post for speaking my mind about my Syssa engine.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

I agree but then again I 've been moderated on this post for speaking my mind about my Syssa engine.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I ran mine again today (test stand) and learned a few things to use for my new EF Extra. First, since the Syssa starts so easily, the simple ny-rod choke is all I am going to do. I have about 3/4 gallon through it now, (8 runs), and it runs so much better now, no issues except for 2 muffler screws falling out, which is NBD since I am going to use the ES pipe. With the Vess 18-6 I saw 8660 rpm and I used an IR gun to take a few temps. The muffler ran about 245F, the side of the jug was 215 and the carb was 60F! So, I do have to find a coupler, any sources suggested?
For my business I get products anodized, so I threw the header pipe in the last batch. It won't make it fly better but looks cool:

Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: Antique

Thanks, I'll wait for mine....Gotta see why it has a straight crank with a hard key instead of a taper....
I don't think you can tell why by just looking. It may just be personal preference. For indexing, I like the straight crank and key, makes a good poka-yoke. For rotary tool quick change, I like the taper. The two methods have been around forever, if one was clearly the "best", there would be only one way left after all this time because the "bad" one would die out. When I try to reverse engineer things I found that a lot of times only the original engineers knew why they did things the way they did, it was not always logical or obvious. Quite a few times they went to a lot of trouble to re-invent the wheel due to a lack of experience.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Joystick TX

Thanks for the videos of the Clipped W. M.'s flying. Good looking planes and the engines sounded great.

Can't wait for our 80 degree weather, we have snow in the forecast this weekend.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:17 AM
aiongold
Banned

Old 03-20-2010, 07:33 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moderators, please remove the spam garbage post above. You can delete this one too if you want, it serves no purpose other than to let you know about the spam.

Thank you.

~ Jim ~
Old 03-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Joystick TX

aiongokl,

I think you posted on the wrong website.

We have no money, we spent it all on toy planes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.