EGRUNE
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Wow! Thanks for the info Antique.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Sent engine in on Monday, received e-mail from Todd. The keyway did break and it was one of the keys that was not the correct hardness. We are fixing it today and will be going out to you in a day or so at no cost.
Todd is a standup person and takes care of his customers, The key mixup has to be a BIG pain in the ass!!

Put in a fifteen minute flight, landed and engine died on taxi back. Later the engine backfired when i went to start and would not start.
From info in this forum i looked at timing and checked , it was after TDC.
Engine had over twenty three hours of flight time.
This is an Early engine.
Flying my fusion- love it-but i use a lot of fuel!!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:49 PM

OK, i have one of only three engines that had key problems! That is good news.
Asked Todd about mounting rails for profile planes and yes we can get engine in that configuration.
And the 60cc twin is getting closer!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1932

OK, i have one of only three engines that had key problems! That is good news.
Asked Todd about mounting rails for profile planes and yes we can get engine in that configuration.
And the 60cc twin is getting closer!
What is your engine's s/n?

I hope this key issue doesn't become commonplace as all the engines get out flying after the great ice age (nasty winter) passes. I know I have not done anything but fondle my engine a few times since getting to fly it a bit in November.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:47 PM

s/n 0900281
Old 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

If Todd can get the 60cc twin to put out power equal a DLE55, weigh less than 3.25 lbs w/ plugs and measure less than 10" wide cap to cap it will sell like hot cakes. The rear exhaust will require a very compact two into one header for a cannister setup.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
FlymoreRC

Bpar4,
Thanks for the hint.

I used a double layer of heat shrink to give it a bit more firmness.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50062.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1400718  
Old 03-18-2010, 05:26 PM
reptyler
My Feedback: (5)

Egrune,
My SAP was purchased December 30 and I received it last week.

Anyone running the Rcexl mini tach onboard? It looks like a nice addition to be able to take readings before each flight without having to worry about my tach's battery being good...keeps draining the battery and I always forget to take it out.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:03 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think it was intended for the RCEXL tach to remain on board?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Outlw36
My Feedback: (1)

Just finished off the 3rd gallon thru mine about an hour ago.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 PM
MsgtRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sent engine in on Monday, received e-mail from Todd. The keyway did break and it was one of the keys that was not the correct hardness. We are fixing it today and will be going out to you in a day or so at no cost.
Todd is a standup person and takes care of his customers, The key mixup has to be a BIG pain in the ass!!

Put in a fifteen minute flight, landed and engine died on taxi back. Later the engine backfired when i went to start and would not start.
From info in this forum i looked at timing and checked , it was after TDC.
Engine had over twenty three hours of flight time.
This is an Early engine.
Flying my fusion- love it-but i use a lot of fuel!!
Sorry to here it. I expect much more will have this issue once the weatheer warms. I'll be flying mine this weekend we'll see how she does.
It took more than 2 weeks to get my engine repaired but it was repaired at no charge (other than shipping) My engine number is 352. It would really be great if this could be fixed by the user.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 PM
DamonR

You California guys have it made... I've been watching some video I took at the large scale event over the summer. Turns out my Funtana 125 is 25%, so it qualifies to fly at IMAA events. So look out big birds, the Syssa Funtana will be hovering at field near you very soon! Looks like the flood waters receded at the Farmington field, so I will maiden this weekend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeNJdpRfM1Q[/youtube]
Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 PM
DamonR

Kochj,

I will start a new thread for the EF 78" when I get my Syssa and servos.

Damon
Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Truckracer

s/n 0900281
Mine is s/n 261 and I received it on Nov. 18th. I think you got yours a couple of weeks before that. Interesting s/n progression. I hope I escape the dreaded soft key problem but I'm not sure it would matter much as I'm still grounded with even more snow in the forecast. It is pretty well melted off now and the fields are just getting to where they are usable (the ones that are not under water) and now more snow!

Hope you get your engine back soon and continue to enjoy it.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

My engine number is 352. It would really be great if this could be fixed by the user.
Couldn't agree more. The last engine I had that was not really user repairable (with necessary tools and experience) was a 1969 K&B 40 where the whole crank and bearing assembly was pressed together then the drive hub was drilled and pinned to fit the crank. There was also an allen setscrew but if it came loose, the roll pin could shear. Not a real friendly setup. I understand the Syssa requires the drive hub be replaced after it is removed ... Hmmmmmm! Should we be stocking up on these hubs or will someone volunteer to produce an aftermarket one like the DLE 30 people did with their backplate?!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

My engine number is 352. It would really be great if this could be fixed by the user.
Couldn't agree more. The last engine I had that was not really user repairable (with necessary tools and experience) was a 1969 K&B 40 where the whole crank and bearing assembly was pressed together then the drive hub was drilled and pinned to fit the crank. There was also an allen setscrew but if it came loose, the roll pin could shear. Not a real friendly setup. I understand the Syssa requires the drive hub be replaced after it is removed ... Hmmmmmm! Should we be stocking up on these hubs or will someone volunteer to produce an aftermarket one like the DLE 30 people did with their backplate?!
Ouch!

Everyone who bought one of these engines knew it was a new product and there would be growing pains. Todd is correcting problems as they come up. I don't know why Todd did some of the things he did but they are his babies and he'll care for them.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
MsgtRob

Exactly!
I think enough of us have the skill if only there was a kit...maybe it'll never happen again....Maybe a recall.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

Ouch!

Everyone who bought one of these engines knew it was a new product and there would be growing pains. Todd is correcting problems as they come up. I don't know why Todd did some of the things he did but they are his babies and he'll care for them.
At some point this philosophy has to come to an end. I guess the first 10 or 50 or so might be considered "Beta" but well into the 400's is pushing that concept. Just my opinion. Also, if I'm to be a "tester" of the engines durability then free shipping back to mama with each "growing pain" would be a nice touch. $19.00 for priority mail from West coast with appropriate insurance may start to add up.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 PM

Well, i would think that the replacement key would be tested for hardness. So will not have this problem again, and have not had any other problems that were not of my own making.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The first flight on my engine was this morning. Only ran it two times, about 30 min. total engine time, before the weather allowed me get it airborne.

Had to choke it this morning more than the other two times I ran it because it was in the 40's and mostly because I forgot to open the throttle past the idle position. Had a mostly uneventful flight, the engine ran great.

I did have a minor problem, the engine took a long time to get from wide open to idle which caused me to land a little long. I think I messed it up when I turned the screws in and back out to get the count on each one for reference purposes, it was working okay before that.

A gasser engine expert at the field adjusted the low end for me and the engine operated normally again. The high/low RPM was 2100/8170 after the adjustments. The engine seemed to "like" 1700 RPM, but I want to keep it at 2100 for a while till I get more fuel and flights on it.

The engine pulls the Giant Super Sportster along very well, it was airborne at about 3/8 throttle. Cruise speed and loops were very good at 1/2 to 5/8 throttle. The control surface hinges are not pinned yet so I did not fly wide open.

Weather and nerves permitting, will try flying again tomorrow.

Oh yea, had lots of interest in the engine at the field. It will be a shame to put the big honking Sportster cowl on and hide it.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Hog78
My Feedback: (36)

Had a dead stick with my Syssa today I ran it out of gas! so far so good I have noticed on take off in the first climbout a little burble ( stumble) I will be going to synthetic oil on next flight and adding a vent tube from carb into the fuse to try to shake it out.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
DamonR

The water is receding. Landing at this field requires some precision, like landing on an aircraft carrier I imagine, the surrounding water adds to the effect. Looks like the Syssa Funtana will maiden this weekend after all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46007.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1401099  
Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

I hear you, here is our club field ( http://www.snhflyingeagles.org ):

Old 03-19-2010, 05:13 PM
wjcalhoun

I hate to ask the bottom line question guys, but....

I am looking to buy a 30cc gas engine for a 25% extra; have the bugs been worked out of the Syssa (yes, I would love to buy American), or should I buy a DLE-30 for now, and let the dust settle?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 PM
AJsToyz

I think its funny that the DLE has a few bugs but its great, the Syssa had two bad prop hub keys and it has issues?

Priceless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.