Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Slow and Steady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I have watched others gingerly flip the prop, with seeming finness, and it looks very cool. Don't know if that would contribute to a backfire, but seeing that chicken stick land 30 feet away, got my attention big time; and hightened my respect for these big prop engines, including the Syssa 180.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Slow and Steady

n
Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of how you start an engine, and what you're comfortable with, depends on your past experience. I have sliced my fingers to the bone when I flooded an engine and had either a hydraulic lock or a bad backfire. I have also flipped and flipped and flipped anddid not pay that much attention after all the flipping and got hit by the prop because it surprised me when itdid start.

The way I start my engine prevents flooding and backfiring.So far, I have never flooded the engine or had a backfire or been hit by the prop.It never kicked back hard enough to loosen the prop nut either.That used to be a big problem with my 4-stroke glow engines. I don't know why, but thepop in the video is way louder than normal.It may have something to do with the way the camera records sounds, it picks up mostly low frequencies.

BTW - I would not start a 50cc engine this way.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

I have watched others gingerly flip the prop, with seeming finness, and it looks very cool. Don't know if that would contribute to a backfire, but seeing that chicken stick land 30 feet away, got my attention big time; and hightened my respect for these big prop engines, including the Syssa 180.
there should be no 'gingerly' about starting an engine. A chicken stick becomes a safety hazard for an engine such as these.I always hand prop, usually bare handed as a glove will get in the way.... Only time I use a glove is when my DA150 hasn't been fired in a while and the prop has a sharp trailing edge...

The biggest key in starting a gas engine is following through. If you're skittish about turning that prop, you will not have pleasant results. The key is being able to follow through... If you have enough inertia starting that engine, you will be much safer.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:18 AM
cmoulder

For a really quick prop flip, follow the lead of baseball pitchers: lead with the elbow!

Old 05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Slow and Steady

Well I totally agree with the non-gingerly approach as I noted above, but have found the chicken stick to be easier than using a glove, stores in my pants pocket and doesn't appear to have a down side. If I hadn't used it on the above described mishap, I am sure I would have suffered a severe injury. Though I, as most, am still learnng and appreciate any advise.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Syssa sells a very nice blue anodized aluminum chicken stick
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

there should be no 'gingerly' about starting an engine. A chicken stick becomes a safety hazard for an engine such as these.I always hand prop, usually bare handed as a glove will get in the way.... Only time I use a glove is when my DA150 hasn't been fired in a while and the prop has a sharp trailing edge...

The biggest key in starting a gas engine is following through. If you're skittish about turning that prop, you will not have pleasant results. The key is being able to follow through... If you have enough inertia starting that engine, you will be much safer.
I also use my bare hand except I protect the finger doing the actual flipping with a 2" length silicone rubber coupler that is glass reinforced. I have never had the SAP backfire on my finger but the APC props I use are unforgiving. Sliced and diced fingers will ruin your day
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Slow and Steady

I have not had a backfire on the Syssa either, although another fellow at my field did, but I think it was more about his starting technique, which was not vigorous. But then again, I have over 110 flights on my DLE 55 powered EF Yak and only one backfire, which corresponded to a weak follow through. The Syssa, set at a high idle, did sting one of my finger tips. I think the high idle may have caused the prop to catch up with my hand before it had cleared.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM
MsgtRob

I had an interesting day yesterday. I was breaking in my second Sap 180 when she dead sticked. Fortunatly I was on the lake bed and had ample room to land, no harm. I thought my needles might need more tweeking. Turns out the magnet was thrown from the prop hub. I didn't see that coming! Just a lonely hole in the hub...That was the end of the flying day for that plane. Good news is Todd responded to my email early today and is replacing the motor and covering the shipping costs. Well done.

Glad I pulled my well used and trusted original Sap 180 off my stick and put it in my new ESM Corsair. I didn't want to exercise the engine demons on a warbird. The giant Stick is EXCELLENT for breaking in engines; easy dead stick landings, Cowless, etc..

I recommend all users check your magnets for security. I don't know if it loosened first then flew out or let go all at once. Results are the same either way.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah, I have my Syssa on my Giant stik and have a few flights on it now. Its just a Great Plane(s) (heh). I want the ESM P-39 Aircobra. I have the KMP T-28 coming, but I think it will be a little heavy for the Syssa...now a 60 cc dual cylinder would be interesting...
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Backfiring with RC EXL ignitions happens when the prop is not flipped fast enough for the EI to retard...Small bore engines can be flipped faster, so there's not as much backfiring....Bill has told Xu Liang how to fix this, don't know if he ever did...
Takes somewhere around 400 rpm to retard the EXL...Bill was using Syncro Sparks made by Ed Vollmer, no problems...
The Chinese haven't yet figured out the Syncro Spark circuitry...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

I had an interesting day yesterday. I was breaking in my second Sap 180 when she dead sticked. Fortunatly I was on the lake bed and had ample room to land, no harm. I thought my needles might need more tweeking. Turns out the magnet was thrown from the prop hub. I didn't see that coming! Just a lonely hole in the hub...That was the end of the flying day for that plane. Good news is Todd responded to my email early today and is replacing the motor and covering the shipping costs. Well done.

Glad I pulled my well used and trusted original Sap 180 off my stick and put it in my new ESM Corsair. I didn't want to exercise the engine demons on a warbird. The giant Stick is EXCELLENT for breaking in engines; easy dead stick landings, Cowless, etc..

I recommend all users check your magnets for security. I don't know if it loosened first then flew out or let go all at once. Results are the same either way.
How do you like the Syssa on the Corsair? And how does your weight compare to the advertised 14ish pound weight? I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and get the ESM P-39 and throw my Syssa in the front of it or if it would be too much airplane at about 16-18 lbs for the engine.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Syssa sells a very nice blue anodized aluminum chicken stick
bad idea when using a wood prop.....
Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: panhndl

Yeah, I have my Syssa on my Giant stik and have a few flights on it now. Its just a Great Plane(s) (heh). I want the ESM P-39 Aircobra. I have the KMP T-28 coming, but I think it will be a little heavy for the Syssa...now a 60 cc dual cylinder would be interesting...
I'm waiting to see the weight figures on the Syssa 60... If it's close to my setup on my 88" Edge, I will be pulling the Hacker A60 off in favor of the Syssa...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:22 PM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: panhndl

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

How do you like the Syssa on the Corsair? And how does your weight compare to the advertised 14ish pound weight? I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and get the ESM P-39 and throw my Syssa in the front of it or if it would be too much airplane at about 16-18 lbs for the engine.

I like the Syssa on any plane! It won't be the engine that causes excess weight on this build. The ESM kits are not light. After Sierra retracts, air tanks, scale cockpit, robart retractable tail wheel and doors, I'm struggling to keep the weight low and as far forward of the CG as possible. I'm more concerned wiith not having to add dead weight to the nose to get the CG on. I bought the IBEC to get rid of one battery but I need a few more build days.... The engine fits the plane nicely and I can navigate the cowl on and off even with the ESM wooden mount ring installed to the cowl. The topflite dummy engine looks good but again, CG will determine if I use it or not.

I've a third Syssa just received today (not the replacement) and it's going on the Great Planes PT-17Should be AWESOME!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
MsgtRob

Just 15 lbs 13 oz....now to starts shedding some weight.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43640.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1605572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38771.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1605573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36487.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1605574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97678.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1605575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42831.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1605576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54189.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1605577  
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 PM
50%plane

I have 10 gallons through my Syssa now... what a great motor. We had a mini-huckfest today in Oroville, CA. Everyone there was impressed by the power and quality of the engine. I cannot wait to upgrade the motor in my 88" Edge!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:56 PM
MsgtRob

few more...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81994.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1605585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25593.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1605586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72168.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1605587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk20974.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1605588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86052.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1605589  
Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 PM
cmoulder

Super SHAAWEEEET!

I really like that retractable tailwheel. Many a warbird has been rendered incomplete by that dangling tailwheel when everything else is all tucked away.

Would be really neat if you could saw off the muffler stacks, but I see you have the tone inserts so that probably is not an option. You got a dummy engine for the front, did you mention earlier??
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Slow and Steady

Antique, Thanks for the info. Makes alot of sense. S & S
Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 PM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Super SHAAWEEEET!

I really like that retractable tailwheel. Many a warbird has been rendered incomplete by that dangling tailwheel when everything else is all tucked away.

Would be really neat if you could saw off the muffler stacks, but I see you have the tone inserts so that probably is not an option. You got a dummy engine for the front, did you mention earlier??

Thanks!

I do have a Top Flite dummy radial but wanted to post some pics with the SAP180 in plain view. I need to move my battery to the engine compartment and install that radial to get the CG on. The Robart tail wheel was a job to install especially with working doors, but it was the right thing to do in this case. I'll post some pics when she's finished....

Rob
Old 05-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Mike Miller

I agree with Bob, that is one sweet war bird.

Now that summer has arrived (maybe not officially, but it got up to 100 here today) I find myself needing to split into 3 or 4 different workers. I did get a chance to fly my U Stik this morning before the wind started howling. I was thinking about your advice Rob when I was flying this morning and I agree whole heartedly. The U Stik (and the GP stick) is a must have airplane. It's just a hoot to fly and lands like a trainer. I hooked up flaps to mine and wow, will that heavy airframe slow down or what.

Cheers to everyone!!

Mike
Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great looking plane Rob, can't wait to see the flying videos. Love the tailwheel detail. Don't forget to keep up the speed on takeoffs and landings, they love to snap. Should be no problem with the Syssa.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Bulletman

A friend and I have recently purchased one of Todds engines. We have a lot of gassers from 20 cc's to 170's. As for as the smaller engines goes, this is the best running engine you will ever buy.
I have it on a 1/4 scale Dave Patrick Super Cub. It does not get any better. When it is all said and done, you really do not have that much more in this engine than a DLE 30 when needing to purchase
a pitts muffler to go with it. With the choice of several size standoffs to choose from and the overall length of this engine, it makes a nice fit in small cowls. You don't have to cut up your cowl.
Again hands down the best 30 on the market. the DLE 30 could be price a lot less and I would still purchase this engine over that one. There is no comparison.
It nice to also call and talk to the guy that is not only selling the engine but designed it and manufactures it.

Thanks Todd for producing quality at a fair price. All 30 size planes purchased in my club from now on will have a Syssa engine in it, they all love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.