Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Beej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Hi Everybody,

Happily Santa dropped an extreme flight extra 78" down the chimney so it looks as though it's time to order another SAP 180. I'm thinking ES30g composite pipe as well since the plane has tunnel, but I need advice on the header. If anyone running this set up could suggest the appropriate header then I would really appreciate it!

Happy New Year!

Beej
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

A Macs header for an OS 140 works on the SAP180. You only have to make a slight adjustment to the two bolt holes in the header to fit.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beej

Hi Everybody,

Happily Santa dropped an extreme flight extra 78" down the chimney so it looks as though it's time to order another SAP 180. I'm thinking ES30g composite pipe as well since the plane has tunnel, but I need advice on the header. If anyone running this set up could suggest the appropriate header then I would really appreciate it!

Happy New Year!

Beej
Great Christmas present. That will be a great combination.

Have you looked at the pattern flier thread "RE: SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)"? They have a lot of great info on headers. I like the soft mount info too; one of these days I'm going to put one on my plane.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
DamonR

Hey guys, check out my latest Syssa 30cc installation. Hope to maiden this before year end and fly it at the Frozen Finger Fly In on the first.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNl470iCII[/youtube]
Old 12-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Beej

Hi Ed,

Thanks - found it on the web site. Dont have the new engine yet so hard for me to check the geometry - do you have any information as to what angle header I will need for the EF Extra install?

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the pointer to the pattern forum - lot's of information in there!
cheers,

Beej
Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

That RTV coating on the myffler trick does work very well for sure just make sure that you clean the muffler with assitone or laqour thinner very well and do not handle it after it has been cleaned as the oils from your fingers or hands will make the RTV not stick very good to the muffler see attached photo of what it should look like after it has been done and this engine has been flown in about 20 flights plus about an Hour in the test stand I guarantee it you will notice the difference . The man who told me about this was at an imaac event last summer and they checked all aircraft for sound levels and his was the quietest for the whole event .
Please pay no attention to the date of the photo's as i just haven't bothered to reset the date and time on my camera

I found this silicone tape by searching "self fusing silicone tape" on Google. What do you guys think? Looks like it would be another way to apply silicone and doesn't need much muffler cleaning. The tape sticks to itself, but doesn't seem to have any adhesive to stick it to anything else, so you would need to do overlapping layers somehow.

"Rescue Tape is a self-fusing silicone repair tape with nearly infinite uses for landscapers, arborists and homeowners. First used by the US Military, this is the most versatile and easy-to-use emergency repair product available. You can repair leaks on plumbing and hoses in a flash, use to insulate electrical wiring or as shrink wrap, wrap tool handles, and much more. Features include 950 PSI tensile strength, insulates 8,000 Volts per layer, withstands heat up to 500° F (260° C), remains flexible to -85° F! (-60° C). Rescue Tape creates a permanent air-tight, water-tight seal in seconds while resisting fuel, oils, acids, solvents, salt water, road salt and UV Rays. Roll Size: 1" x 12'.Colors (please specify when ordering) Red, Yellow, Black and ClearTo learn more about Self-Fusing Silicone RESCUE TAPE, please press the "Play" button in the window below. NOTE: Video is approximately 4-1/2 minutes long. "

Ed
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM
hyflyer9

like I mentioned in a later post that muffler had been put threw the ringer and yet it still performed as is and that muffler has never come loose at all not even a little and i am sure that with some extra care it can be coated with the RTV eavenly to make it look much better . Also keep in mind that black paint tends to hold the heat longer .
Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

like I mentioned in a later post that muffler had been put threw the ringer and yet it still performed as is and that muffler has never come loose at all not even a little and i am sure that with some extra care it can be coated with the RTV eavenly to make it look much better . Also keep in mind that black paint tends to hold the heat longer .
RTV is silicone - the tape is the same material as the rtv you used. It's available in "Red, Yellow, Black and Clear" so if you don't like black use another color. But the color makes very little effective difference in how fast the muffler gives off heat. We could have a fun debate about whether black is better or worse but I don't think it makes much difference which color the material is except for appearance. I think the tape is a good alternate way to do this but if you like the red rtv that's ok with me.

Another method that might work to reduce resonance is to add weld beads to the muffler to stiifen it a little.

Do you have any before/after dba data to share yet?

Ed
Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 AM
hyflyer9

No Data as of yet Guys I am still waiting on that club member to get back to me . He and his wife both go to floriday for the winter every year and i am just guessing but he is probably out having to much fun flying his planes .
Old 12-31-2011, 11:43 AM
hyflyer9

the only reason i mentioed the black paint is because some dont like the thaught of having to use thinner or asitone to clean the muffler first I would rather have it quieter and not vibrate than loud and vibrate so much that it keeps coming loose as i have found from what i have been reading in this forum . I put the idea out there for you all to try if you want it's up to you . as for my self i will be using the High heat red RTV for sure and i am also thinking of the liquid brush onelectrical tape but i will have to do a heat test with it first .
ORIGINAL: rc34074

RTV is silicone - the tape is the same material as the rtv you used. It's available in "Red, Yellow, Black and Clear" so if you don't like black use another color. But the color makes very little effective difference in how fast the muffler gives off heat. We could have a fun debate about whether black is better or worse but I don't think it makes much difference which color the material is except for appearance. I think the tape is a good alternate way to do this but if you like the red rtv that's ok with me.

Another method that might work to reduce resonance is to add weld beads to the muffler to stiifen it a little.

Do you have any before/after dba data to share yet?

Ed
Old 12-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Syssa Pilot
My Feedback: (7)

HAPPY NEW YEAR   Dave
Old 12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Slow and Steady

A flyer with many years of experience suggested Permatex pipe joint compound for the bolts. I think it is Product number 51 H. My Syssa is being repaired, but I will likely try the Permatex when I get it back and post the results.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:08 PM
brockettman

Thanks Dave!

Happy New Year to all... May 2012 be a prosperous year... (and real good flying too!)

Ben
Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM
MsgtRob

It's been a long build but I maidened my ESM Corsair today. I used my original (well broken in) SAP180 and it pulled this "lead sled" around nicely. The plane needed 2lbs plus both batteries up front to balance!! You others building the ESM warbirds can probably expect the same. Good luck!
Forgot to mention it's been 80 degrees here the past few days...no frozen fingers for me!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/34646255?title=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

ESM 74" Corsair Functional Check Flight from Rob M on Vimeo.

Video found here: http://vimeo.com/34646255
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36497.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1708333   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44725.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1708334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48314.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1708335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30771.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1708336  
Old 01-02-2012, 02:27 AM
hyflyer9

Does any one know what on board tach will work with the SYSSA 30 cc Engine. I do know that DLE has a digital on board tach out but not sure if it will work .
Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The DLE is a RCEXL tach.

It works with all the newer RCEXL ignitions that have a tach feed line on them
Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 AM
hyflyer9

Great that's the one that came with my Engine it does have the extra plug for the Tach.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Joystick TX

MsgtRob - Looks like you did a great job.. Should be a lot of fun.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

So you think the A1-D Skyraider would need it as well? If that is the case, maybe I will use a DA-50.
ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

It's been a long build but I maidened my ESM Corsair today. I used my original (well broken in) SAP180 and it pulled this "lead sled" around nicely. The plane needed 2lbs plus both batteries up front to balance!! You others building the ESM warbirds can probably expect the same. Good luck!
Forgot to mention it's been 80 degrees here the past few days...no frozen fingers for me!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Mike Miller

It seems like everything I put together these days is tail heavy. Must be the light weight of the Syssa engine working against me, if that's possible.

I have always loved the look of the F4U Corsair. Something about those gull wings i guess. I keep thinking maybe I will hit the lottery and pony up the funds for a 250 Moki and a large scale Corsair to go along with it.

I just love the sound of a radial engine, but as of yet don't own one. Someday

Mike
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 AM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

So you think the A1-D Skyraider would need it as well? If that is the case, maybe I will use a DA-50.
ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

It's been a long build but I maidened my ESM Corsair today. I used my original (well broken in) SAP180 and it pulled this ''lead sled'' around nicely. The plane needed 2lbs plus both batteries up front to balance!! You others building the ESM warbirds can probably expect the same. Good luck!
I'm told, ESM builds their kits without compensating for CG. The Corsair and any other with a short fuse forward of CG will benefit from a heavier motor. The Moki will sound great too! I added the Ty's scale cockpit and robart retractable tail wheel, butI also removed some tail weight while converting flight control wires and rods for standard elevator push rods. In the end Im just under 18lbs.

I have an old 50cc XYZ on the shelf I may swap out lead for CC's and a 19 X 10 three blade, but for now I'll live with it. The SAP get's it done but in no way over powers it. It's a good engine for scale flight on the Corsair.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Wow, 18 pounds, that is more than what the DA-60 powered MX2 I had weighed!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Joystick TX

MsgtRob - I think you did great to keep the weight under 18 lbs with the cocpit and tailwheel additions. At least you have an almost 1:1 power ratio. Better for scale flight.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
MsgtRob

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

MsgtRob - I think you did great to keep the weight under 18 lbs with the cocpit and tailwheel additions. At least you have an almost 1:1 power ratio. Better for scale flight.
Thanks!

Flew again today, getting her dialed in. She really moves with the wheels up.

Unfortunatly my firewall engine mount screws loosened up. I need to pull the engine and cowl to fix them.

Update: DONE! The Syssa design makes engine R&R so easy. Unfortunatly I found my muffler missing one of the small bolts from the back plate and the main two were loose again. The Safety wire kept me from losing them. Alls been repaired and I look forward to flying tomorrow!! The weather here has been amazing! 80 degrees in January and NO wind! Unbelievable.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 AM
MsgtRob

ESM Corsair Functional check flight Video found here....

[link]http://vimeo.com/34646255[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.