Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:28 PM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I just got back from flying mine with the new drive plate with the 2 shear pins. For the last flight, I made a Syssa advertisement in front of the other guys. All I did was work the throttle a couple of times (got to love the accelerator pump carb) on a cold engine and it started with 1 flip! It was fairly windy, but it was right down the field, so landing this EF Extra is easier than a trainer, and my harriers are getting halfway decent. Hovering is a blast and the pullout with the Syssa on the ES pipe is like an Estes rocket, and I am still using a Vess 18-6. Good day for this newbie, and I might have some flying videos as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

He was talking about rpm X prop pitch does not add up to 104
Could be right. To get 100 mph, you need to turn a 10" prop at least 10,560 rpm.

Using the rpm x prop pitch calculations gives me a max speed of 55 mph with a 6" pitch at 9600 rpm. I get 9000 rpm on the ground. That seems about right for my Sportster, I think it is in the 40 to 45 mph range most of the time. I get more noise at WOT, but very little speed increase, maybe 5 mph. Unloading does not do much for the speed on my plane. There is no way I ever keep up with a Stick, they go past me like I'm standing still. I might be able to get 70 to 75 mph with a 10" pitch prop. My CL combat special was running in the 15K to 20K range on the ground with an 8" prop.

We will need to get the old radar gun out and make some measurements.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Hog78
My Feedback: (36)

good to hear I am waiting for my Syssa to return to me after repairs. (shear-pin let go) I have mine on a Slipstream sbach and it is a perfect match!! I am not using a spinner though I am hopeing for a little input as to which one. Good fun!!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:53 PM
wpmcnamara
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

He was talking about rpm X prop pitch does not add up to 104
Could be right. To get 100 mph, you need to turn a 10'' prop at least 10,560 rpm.

Using the rpm x prop pitch calculations gives me a max speed of 55 mph with a 6'' pitch at 9600 rpm. I get 9000 rpm on the ground. That seems about right for my Sportster, I think it is in the 40 to 45 mph range most of the time. I get more noise at WOT, but very little speed increase, maybe 5 mph. Unloading does not do much for the speed on my plane. There is no way I ever keep up with a Stick, they go past me like I'm standing still. I might be able to get 70 to 75 mph with a 10'' pitch prop. My CL combat special was running in the 15K to 20K range on the ground with an 8'' prop.

We will need to get the old radar gun out and make some measurements.
Just an interesting note, if the gun was set on kph a readout of 104 would be 64.6mph. Easy way to check would be to hop in a car with someone and point it at a road sign.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a hot rod S10 at one time with a engine and transmission for different vehicles

I timed myself with the mile markers on the highway in front of the house. I selected different speedometer gears from other transmissions I had until I got the speedometer right on.

I didn't need a radar gun
Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

I once rode a pony so I could more accurately determine horsepower.....

I had a hot rod S10 at one time with a engine and transmission for different vehicles

I timed myself with the mile markers on the highway in front of the house. I selected different speedometer gears from other transmissions I had until I got the speedometer right on.

I didn't need a radar gun
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: wpmcnamara

Just an interesting note, if the gun was set on kph a readout of 104 would be 64.6mph. Easy way to check would be to hop in a car with someone and point it at a road sign.
I like it. Sounds like the mystery may be solved.

I was going to suggest that you drive a car down the flying field at 100 mph to see if the plane can pass it, but I guess checking the gun against a road sign would work too.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

I just got back from flying mine with the new drive plate with the 2 shear pins. For the last flight, I made a Syssa advertisement in front of the other guys. All I did was work the throttle a couple of times (got to love the accelerator pump carb) on a cold engine and it started with 1 flip! It was fairly windy, but it was right down the field, so landing this EF Extra is easier than a trainer, and my harriers are getting halfway decent. Hovering is a blast and the pullout with the Syssa on the ES pipe is like an Estes rocket, and I am still using a Vess 18-6. Good day for this newbie, and I might have some flying videos as well.
Did you pick up any RaceGas?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 AM
ghoffman

No, next week Monday, the 23rd I will.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 AM
MsgtRob

That was my next thought, straight down the centerline in my Vette. See if my uglystik could catch her...
I wasn't holding the radar but was assured it was set to MPH.

It flys pleanty fast enough for me at whatever MPH, let's put it to rest.

Has anyone determined if the "latest" version of the SAP180 comes with the new style hub?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

That was my next thought, straight down the centerline in my Vette. See if my uglystik could catch her...

Has anyone determined if the ''latest'' version of the SAP180 comes with the new style hub?
Someone should have an engine with a new style hub by now. Even if they were shipped by pony express, travel between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts only took about ten days, of course the ponies are getting pretty old by now so I would expect them to be a little slower, I know I am.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
rmathews
My Feedback: (1)

Had the key shear on my engine and Todd replaced with new key,new keys are nickle plated so he can tell new from old and replaced hub with new alum. hub,nice contrast to black of engine.New hubs are maybe 1/32 inch longer than old hub and have holes for roll pins to hold spinner back plates + two threaded holes.He also gave me a drilling jig,drill,pins and adapter to hold backplate or prop while drilling.Super service from a great guy.Rich
Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

No engine yet, I emailed Todd for status and was promised it next Tues/Wed. Apparantly, a tracking number is beyond the scope of the ''Syssa shipping department''.

Not that it matters much, I'm in Iraq until early next year. I have a new 74'' ESM corsair ordered and received within 1 week from VQwarbirds. I also got the sierra retracts and cockpit kit. The syssa should fit nicely in the cowl.

My current Sap 180 pulls my 80'' giant stick vertical and has clocked 104mph on stock exhaust and 18x6 mejzlik. It should have no trouble pulling the corsair.

Anyone else flown ESM warbirds with Syssa?

my Syssa is going into the Stuka
Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I suppose the consensus is that this is a good engine, right? Will it pull a scale model in the 20-25 pound range? Model is a Ryan ST-A, from Byron Originals.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 08-17-2010, 04:00 PM
ghoffman

Sure, I suppose you are not going to 3-D it though!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
cmoulder

I think it will fly it, but @ 25 lbs it will be marginal on power and might also require additional
weigt in the nose to achieve CG. The SAP is a very lightweight gasser!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
MsgtRob

Has anyone determined if the ''latest'' version of the SAP180 comes with the new style hub?
Someone should have an engine with a new style hub by now. Even if they were shipped by pony express, travel between the Atlantic and Pacific coasts only took about ten days, of course the ponies are getting pretty old by now so I would expect them to be a little slower, I know I am.

Yep,
Just got the email from the wife; a package from Syssa arrived yesterday, Aug 17. one month is better than two. Thanks for the intel on the new hub. I look forward to seeing it in Feb.

I think the Syssa will pull that Stuka around no prob,I'd like to see some pics. I'd re think the 25 pounder unless it's with a pipe.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
ghoffman

The resolution is not the greatest but at least you can hear the Syssa/ES pipe combo. It was really cloudy and windy, but I was having alot of fun, 22 pounds of thrust on a 11.8 pound plane does move well indeed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6YtO17oNQ
Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Joystick TX

Yep,
Just got the email from the wife; a package from Syssa arrived yesterday, Aug 17. one month is better than two. Thanks for the intel on the new hub. I look forward to seeing it in Feb.

I think the Syssa will pull that Stuka around no prob,I'd like to see some pics. I'd re think the 25 pounder unless it's with a pipe.
If you send the engine to me, I'll find something to put in on and have it broken in for you when you get back. I hate the thought of it just laying around collecting dust when it could be up the the air fulfilling it's destiny.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

The resolution is not the greatest but at least you can hear the Syssa/ES pipe combo. It was really cloudy and windy, but I was having alot of fun, 22 pounds of thrust on a 11.8 pound plane does move well indeed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6YtO17oNQ
Videos like this make me want to put a pipe on my plane. That would be insane. Maybe.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 AM
MsgtRob

Yep,

If you send the engine to me, I'll find something to put in on and have it broken in for you when you get back. I hate the thought of it just laying around collecting dust when it could be up the the air fulfilling it's destiny.

HAHA
I bet you will! That's very kind of you to offer but I think I'll keep her safely stored until us "Non Combat" troops come home from Iraq.

R
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Can anyone tell me what is the designed regulated voltage to a CDI system from a SAP Ultra IBE unit. Thanks.

Karol
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM
ghoffman

It is a standard Rcexl, so do not exceed 5.999 volts.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: karolh

Can anyone tell me what is the designed regulated voltage to a CDI system from a SAP Ultra IBE unit. Thanks.

Karol
The IBEC provides about 5.8 volts to the CDI, according to Ed, the unit's designer. That's how all of mine are set-up. I use a regulated lipo set at 6.4 volts for airborne power. That means the IBEC input is 6.4 and output to the CDI is 5.8

The ultra IBEC output voltage is adjustable, I believe. There should be instructions as to what one can do to tailor voltage output. I don't have Ultras so I am not certain of that, but if I remember right, the output is maxed out at 6 volts. Todd should have the instructions on his website
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
ghoffman

I use the 6.6V LiFe's and mine has an output of 5.8V as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.