Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 AM
PLANEIAC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Thank you Syssa I love this engine and new muffler combo!!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Slow and Steady

I also ordered the new muffler approximately 3 weeks ago and it was delivered this past Thursday. Looks to be very well made. My engine starts up without trouble and has great transition. Hopefully the new muffler will resolve the loosening issue. I have to say Syssa is not the only engine I know of that has this issue. The muffler on my DLE 55 has been a challenge as of late as is the one on a DLE 111 a friend of mine has. The new muffler should be easier to tighten and I am optomistic. While I can sympathize with the frustration expressed by some here, I have to say that over the last 2 plus years, Todd has serviced my engine at least 3 times without charge, while providing a new muffler on each occassion, in addition to other free upgrades, even though some of the issues have been due to landing gear failure/pilot error. I am sure I am not the only one who still holds him in high regard. Hopefully he will be able to resolve the concerns recently noted.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

I also ordered the new muffler approximately 3 weeks ago and it was delivered this past Thursday. Looks to be very well made. My engine starts up without trouble and has great transition. Hopefully the new muffler will resolve the loosening issue. I have to say Syssa is not the only engine I know of that has this issue. The muffler on my DLE 55 has been a challenge as of late as is the one on a DLE 111 a friend of mine has. The new muffler should be easier to tighten and I am optomistic. While I can sympathize with the frustration expressed by some here, I have to say that over the last 2 plus years, Todd has serviced my engine at least 3 times without charge, while providing a new muffler on each occassion, in addition to other free upgrades, even though some of the issues have been due to landing gear failure/pilot error. I am sure I am not the only one who still holds him in high regard. Hopefully he will be able to resolve the concerns recently noted.
I concer with your assessment of Todd and his company. Great engine, works great. Count me as a satisfied customer and will buy another engine very soon.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pair of Syssa's right out of the box with little run in time and quick tune. Turning 16x10 MAS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98069.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	1772760  
Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

BTW....I have switched to AVGAS A100 and will not go back to pump gas. Stricter quality standards with controlled moisture content and no ethanol. There is a noticeable difference from my observations.

I used Avgas in the SAP180 for 2 years. After tuning, it simply ran and ran, often from 1 flip starts. The field manners of the SAP 180 are second to none. I've owned a pair of them and they both behaved the same. Per my last log on both engines, 637 flights total over 2 1/2 years, an average of 15 minutes per flight.

I encountered two small problems, both handled quickly by Todd....engine one had a cranky carb originally; it was replaced, free. Also engine one had a front bearing leak at 122 flights; it was replaced, free. Very early on, I also experienced loose headers (piped set-up). Once I started adding NordLoc washers under the exhaust bolts and sealed with Ultra Copper, that problem went away...........Al in all, a terrific little engine!!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 AM
bigwes1962

can anyone tell me the thread size on the syssa so i can get a spinner nut.....thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 05:55 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: bigwes1962

can anyone tell me the thread size on the syssa so i can get a spinner nut.....thanks
Spinner nut? or prop nut?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM
bipeflr
My Feedback: (8)

Got E mail Sat. said he thought he had shipped my eng. Received E mail this morning with tracking # Maybe squeaky gets the oil....Jim
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
JeffinTD

ORIGINAL: bigwes1962

M8 1.25
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM
bigwes1962

got it......thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bipeflr

Got E mail Sat. said he thought he had shipped my eng. Received E mail this morning with tracking # Maybe squeaky gets the oil....Jim
Yupper....keep things well lubed.....everthing!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:15 PM
bipeflr

And Then...And Then.... MY ENGINE WAS IN THE AFTERNOON MAIL......Jim
Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's nice to see some good news here.

Hope your engine break-in goes well.

I have reallyenjoyed having this engine, after all the hours I have on it now, it does not look like a work of art anymore, but it sure runs great.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: SIMCO

Pair of Syssa's right out of the box with little run in time and quick tune. Turning 16x10 MAS.
Great looking plane. I would love to hear the sound of twin Syssa's.

We live in the same city, but I don't recognize the flying field. I fly from GSWAM, where do you fly from?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Subscribed...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Joystick TX

Have you run the engine yet?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 AM
bipeflr

No, Steve I havent I dont have a test stand but I'm going to hobby shop this afternoon to purchase a Rascal 110. This is the plane I want and wasnt going to buy plane until I had the engine. Didn't want to cut up the cowl to fit another engine. I have a 1/4 scale Stampe bipe but ruined the appearance by chopping the side out of the cowl for the muffler on a DLE 30.......Jim
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
hobby_man

ORIGINAL: hobby_man

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

From the manual:1. To Set the low needle:
A. Start at 1.5 turns out
B. Run engine at idle
C. Lean needle until engine stumbles on acceleration
D. Richen needle 1/8 turn.
2. To Set the high needle:
A. Start at 2 turns out.
B. Run engine to full throttle
C. Lean high needle until engine reaches peak rpm
D. Richen needle max of 1/8 turn (when ambient
temperature is warmer than 85F (29.5 C) degrees
richen up to ¼ turn past peak if necessary
3. To Test adjustments:
A. Run engine at idle for 10 seconds
B. Check throttle response – if engine sags or
stalls upon acceleration, richen low needle
C. Run engine at full throttle for 5 seconds – if
engine “sags†(rpm decreases), richen high needle

I read the manual did all this, will not start very well. Will some times run a few reves after spinning it with an electric starter, once it does start, cant get it to run good enough to fly it, unit will not idle
my weed trimmer, chain saw and leaf blower on their worst days perform better that this motor.
I got a new carburetor and muffler from Syssa, about 2 weeks top get.. Bolted it onto the motor and the muffler upgrade. The motor fired right up and I was able to adjust the L and H screws and the engine would react to my inputs on the screws, not like before, I took the old carburetor apart and the screen was full of what looked like sawdust and sand, what a mess, so much for buying a used engine here on RCU that runs great.

Plane runs great in the garage.
Took the plane to the field, it ran great on the ground.

In the air high speed was good, low speed was a nightmare, it would not idle down and keep running, spit sputter, rev up rev down, the motor shut down and I dead stick landed it in the beans.
Got the plane back to the pits and readjusted the L in out until I was back to the original setting. Taxied the plane all over the runway and back and forth, runs great.

Refuel the plane and take off, motor is running good at high and low speeds, after 15 minutes of flying, time to land, throttle the engine down, it burps spits sputters , shuts down while turning base.
plane tip stalls in the 15 mph wind, spins into the ground, wing hits first and the Nemisis is doing cartwheel's over the beans, end of plane! Brand new plane this year, it was my winter project.

I have 6 months into trying to get this motor to run, who wants it? I'm moving on.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
JohnB96041

How much you asking for the engine?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: hobby_man

I got a new carburetor and muffler from Syssa, about 2 weeks top get.. Bolted it onto the motor and the muffler upgrade. The motor fired right up and I was able to adjust the L and H screws and the engine would react to my inputs on the screws, not like before, I took the old carburetor apart and the screen was full of what looked like sawdust and sand, what a mess, so much for buying a used engine here on RCU that runs great.

[/quote]

I'm confused, it sounds like you bought a new carb and put it on the engine, before you checked filter screen on theold carb. The carb filter screen being blocked is one of the major problems with gas engines, all brands,and it is usally the first thing to be checked if an engine is running badly and won't respond to adjustments. Also, did you check the filter screen on the new carb after it shut down? It sounds like you may just have problems with fuel contamination, especially since the engine ran okay on the ground and also in the air for a while.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
bipeflr

My Rascal 110 wont be in for a week or so. Hobby shop had to order it so I mounted the engine in my hanger 9 extra 260. It stqarted and idels fine and after about 15 min. of 2500 to 5000 rpm I ran it up to 7800 and havent adjusted the needels yet. After getting rascal I will fly it easy for a while. I'm using a Xoar 18/6 and it seems to respond to throttle great.......Jim
Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Those initial needle adjustments are designed to be close enough to start it. Beyond that, if it's running the way you like, it's because you're lucky. It's not a fair assumption to believe that engine has been tuned to YOUR needs. You need to do that yourself.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
hobby_man

correct, I got a NEW carb before I even looked at the old carb. I do not have the tool for setting the arm on the needle assemble and I do not have the pressure gauge for checking the pop off pressure. These Walbro carbs are simple and they are delicate to adjust.

Since I had to remove the carb to clean it I had Syssa sell me a new carb.

I have a fuel filer before the engine and 2 filters on my 1 gallon gas can, 1 in the can and one at the end of the fill hose.

I think the cowl is creating positive pressure and this is messing with the diaphram on the carb.

I do have the engine mounted sideways, so the H and L secrew are on the bottom of the plane, would this mounting effect it?

I will mount the engine on a stand and run it or send it back to Syssa, maybe they can use the parts. I lost a plane over the engine, I got 13 flights on it and not once did I land the plane with the engine running.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Joystick TX

I would still check the filter screenin the carb. That is quick and easy to do. That carb filter cantrap things the others miss.

If you have had that many deadstick landings there is something wrong for sure. It could be pressure in the cowl or not enough cooling air. Both of those are easy to fix.It is a good idea toleave the cowl off and see how the engine runs.

The engine should run okay in any position.

You should not need to adjust the arm on the carb or check the pop off pressure, problems with those are way down on the list of probable causes. It would be best to leave those adjustments to an expert.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Joystick TX

Some things my dad taught me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Fix one problem at a time so you can stop fixing when it is fixed and you don't break anything else while you're fixing what broke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.