Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

First gasser, CRRC GF40i kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First gasser, CRRC GF40i kit

Go to the auto parts store and ask them to order you a NGK 1270 plug which will be a BPMR6f. If your ignition is any good it will start right up. Cost less than $3.00.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
tryan02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet it will work but these engines have weak castings and the compression and kickback your gonna get from starting fluid may do some damage.

I am telling you though I hate to see you fighting this when I am 99% sure the stock ignition isnt providing enough spark I spent hours messing with mine bolted on the new ignition. Starts easier than a nitro no more deadsticks it was well worth the $60 for the RCEXCEL ignition. It ran like a champ until the weak casting stuff I mentioned.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 PM
thepamster

Buy a Zenoah. They start right out of the box No adjustments necessary.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:30 PM
tryan02

Buy a Zenoah. They start right out of the box No adjustments necessary.
Tell me something I dont already know!!!

I have one in my TCraft G-26 best engine I own. I wish they would come up with something in the 30CC range the 26 is a bit weak and the 38 I am unsure about I have only seen the old flywheel heavy engines.

I am sitting here waiting on UPS for my DLE30 I have seen many people have the best of luck with the bigger DLE's
Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

If I were gonna get a different engine (though I don't think I'll give up on this one) I would get a 50cc, possibly I might just give up and get a DA50. I think I'll put another 100 bucks into the engine max before I get anything else. New plug and rcexl is the way to go... Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
thepamster

I have owned two g38s and one g62. Though there are adjustment screws on them they pretty much come factory set and if you try to adjust them you will likely find that you screw them back to where they were originally.
I feel for the guy who bought the crcc engine fromn ebay, a place where things end up when they are no longer wanted, i.e. the junkyard.
Gas engines are Extremely reliable and if you have to flip the prop more than twice there is something very wrong.
I am not familiar with crcc but I think in the pictures of them in magazines they also show a complete line of replacement parts along side.
Probably something to that as I don't think I have ever seen a picture of replacement parts for Zenoahs because there is almost no need.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 PM
qwertypemdas

I'm starting to feel bad for myself too, but I bought it as a kit and all the parts are in tip top shape. It was NIB and I think it'll run good, eventually.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a CRRC40 and lots of time screwing with it. 4.8 battery will do fine. Carb settings 1 1/8 turns out on the low. 1 1/4 on the high. Install prop on engine (top dead center) blade about 1130 position. Choke on 1/4 throttle Swing until firing. Don't prime! 1/8 throttle choke off till it starts. Yes the chinese ignitions suck. Rcexel ign after mine gave up. 8 dollars more. 2 cent opinion.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 PM
qwertypemdas

Itching to try some new things tonight (with the engine that is), I just hope I can get around to it.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend bought a kit one from Agape. It went together well enough but the ignition sensor fell apart. Agape replaced the sensor and the engine ran well with no more trouble. Agape was very accomodating and the purchase, delivery, assembly, problem solution, and start up went well.

The engine didn't have much power and wasn't suited for the OMP profile plane he had. Was immediately sold at a swap meet to someone locally who wanted to use the engine on a 1/4 scale Cub which I thought was a good place for it. Have not heard any more about the engine.

My friend replaced the CRRC with a BME 50 which he has been very pleased with on the OMP profile. The unused BME was old enough to have a CH synchrospark ignition. After flying it for a season, he had to rebuild the carb. He also experienced vibration damage to his ignition battery last week which caused a DS. He has flown it a considerable amount the last two seasons.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:15 PM
qwertypemdas

Interesting, I'm going to TRY to put this engine into my Sig Sukhoi, it's like 74" wingspan so like 30% scale but the airframe is only 9lb and I'm not going to do 3D with it, just some beginner IMAC maybe and some aerobatics. Sig recommends a 39cc gas engine for it so we'll see. I've heard 12-20 lb static thrust on different posts but I don't know any real numbers. I'm still working on getting my Mojo 40 in the air right now and tomorrow is a club fun-fly so I might not get to more fiddling for a day. Once I get it running good if it doesn't make enough thrust I'll just sell it, I can get more than 112 bucks out of it and I've learned quite a lot about gas now. I still think it's a good engine even if it doesn't run, wait that don't sound right.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
tryan02

The engine is not weak it has plenty of power!!!! The plane in my avatar there to the left is what mine was in AUW was 12.5lb 72" wingspan apprx 25%. It had endless vertical hover at 1/2 throttle. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the engines power that was the only good thing I could say about it.

I checked you location qwertypemdas unfortunately you are too far away to meet me or I would let you borrow my plug and ignition (I used 4.8V) so you could get to fly it. I would hate to see you spend too much money on that engine.

The only info I could get on the broken crank was over-revving? This motor has a lower RPM than most engines I was running close to 9000RPM at one time so choose your prop wisely look into a 20x8.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
tryan02

Oh and forgot to mention I am running my engine inverted I assumed you were too? My Carb manifold was at a positive couple degrees this would cause fuel to pool in the carb when priming. I flipped the manifold over and ran the carb downward at maybe -15 degrees this way when the fuel was drawed up to the carb any extra would just roll out but still hold enough for priming.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:37 PM
qwertypemdas

Yippy, ok here's what happened. Went and set up my engine on my patio and started doing the exact dame thing as yesterday, BUT the very first flip was BLUP BLUP POP POP POP POP blub blub. Amazing, choke was on so I took off the choke and tried starting, just a few minutes of finicking and it runs like a champ, no modifications. Stock plug, stock cdi, 4 dry cell duracells (rofl I used alkaline because I couldn't find any of my 4.8 packs). So everything was the same as yesterday but I didn't prime as much, just got the fuel into the carb and then I flipped that prop HARD. My arm is sore but it ran for 5 min then I killed it like the instructions said and tightened everything, then it fired right up again, really nice. I think it's a bit rich but I got it running now so I'll wait until my plane is flyable and then I'll ask my instructor how to tune gassers. So it will be sitting in my garage for a year or maybe my room so I can stare at it. So my question now is how do you store these gas engines for a season? Should I put some kind of oil in it? Should I run it dry? I'm super happy now though you couldn't tell by my face, I don't get happy easy. Don't know what the problem was yesterday, maybe I primed too much and then flipped the prop too wimpy? For some reason it felt better after sitting over night.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM
qwertypemdas

Btw my engine is sideways, so the carb opening is straight up, maybe I was flooding it yesterday?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you probably flooded it out. I'd still get an NGK plug for it. Sooner or later that Chinese one will give you trouble. As far as storage, just run the fuel out of it. The residual oil will keep it lubed up for awhile.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:30 AM
LRIOS

i just have the same problem as your witch your crrc engine (hard to start) i got a 6 volt battery the module should work with 4.8 to 7.4 volt no problem, ignition on choke close flip prop,about 15 time no pop , i remove sprk plug all wet , i clean and plug to my spark plug wire and flip the prop to check fire (tic tic ) at spark plug electrod the fire was intermitent i play with the crank sensor wire and got fire contantly i reassembly everything and retry the engine start and about 30 second engine stall. i flip the prop again and again no pop, i play again with that crank sensor clean park plug and retry the engine start , i decide to replace the crank sensor he cost 8.00 dollar so i ordoring wait 1 wheek to get him, ok i just get my sensor and try it check the connection and voltage is 6.40 volt to the module , close choke, ajust trotle stick, flip the prop 10 times, engine start and stall that is normal, there is two step on choke plate i put it to the second step and flip the prop, at the 3rd flip it start and still running, at this time he got 1/2 galon burn and run very well i didn't ajust the carb yet beacause he got good idle and no stall at hi speed , pay a good attention at your connection make sure they are tight . hope that help.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM
qwertypemdas

Thanks everyone, I'll talk to some people at the field today and I'll run the fuel out. Only problem is that the medium gas fuel tubing slips off the 1/8" brass tubing on the tank, how can I make or get some barbs or hold it on? Another nooby question I know... I think I read a bead of solder around the end and the I could wrap some stainless wire around the tube to hold it on? idk
Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM
lou1947

Would suggest sticking with a 4.8 volt battery.If you go with a six cell suggest that you use a regulator or you arew asking to fry the electronic ignition.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
qwertypemdas

Ok, so I've had it running like 4 times but it's incredibly hard to start, sometimes it pops on first flip sometimes it takes forever to pop, but the proplem is it pops then turned over maybe 5-20 times then stops and it may or may not pop again. Will the rcexl ignition fix this? I tried some starting fluid and that will give it a few pops but same thing it just doesn't start. Once it's going there is no real proplems i don't think. A low idle is sometimes a lil hard to hold but it's much lower than my nitro's. My arm is as tired as my patience.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

To anyone that bought this engine. The first thing you should do after assembly is take the carb plates off and soak the diaphrams in gas. they are dried out from sitting in a box on the shelf and need to be freshened up. I went through everything you guys have been going through and a buddy of mine told me about the little trick, IT WORKS!!! After i soaked the membranes with fuel it fired right up!!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
rjmonroe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone tell me the proper spark plug gap for the NGK plug and GF40i engine?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM
qwertypemdas

I got the rcexl ignition and the engine starts 3rd or 4th flip every time now, I'm not sure about the spark gap but the rcexl ignition just rocks, I'm going to try to maiden the plane when I get the time.
took a little video about 5 months ago, not much has changed but I've got it tuned now and the plane is ready for maiden (ignition is no longer mounted on the landing gear ;D)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGtgB-dYns[/youtube]

Edit: Please note i made the video for my youtube subscribers not for RCU so ignore the part about the shoes
Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 PM
grossy2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set mine at 0.5mm.

Cheers
Grossy