Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 58gx2

Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 AM
T Erickson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evolution 58gx2

Sadly, Pe will not be answering your questions as he passed on in his workshop a few days ago.
He has been a huge asset to the modeling community, and his wit and wisdom will be sorely missed.

I am in no way trying to replace him, but my Evolution 58GXII turns a Vess 24b @ 6700/6800rpm on the evolution in-cowl muffler. Pe suggested raising the diaphragm lever to flush with the carb body, and this cured my problem with transition. Good luck, for I fear there is no one who will step up to take Pes' place to solve our silly problems..........
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM
ggroyal1

That is so sad. Pe has been most helpful over the years. I purchased a MVVS engine from him years ago, but he was just as helpful on my Evolution engines. His vast knowledge will be missed.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM
yaron_k
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: T Erickson

Sadly, Pe will not be answering your questions as he passed on in his workshop a few days ago.
He has been a huge asset to the modeling community, and his wit and wisdom will be sorely missed.

I am in no way trying to replace him, but my Evolution 58GXII turns a Vess 24b @ 6700/6800rpm on the evolution in-cowl muffler. Pe suggested raising the diaphragm lever to flush with the carb body, and this cured my problem with transition. Good luck, for I fear there is no one who will step up to take Pes' place to solve our silly problems..........

Unfortunately I came to know about Pe's death approximately 12 hours after posting my question.
I was and am shocked, and sorry, as all of us engine-heads here in Israel - who really admired his knowledge, experiance and willing to share it

He will surely be missed.

P.S

Thanks for your reply - I have tried elevating the carb lever a bit, with no real success. am thinking the problem might be in the ignition. I am running it on two-cell lipo. Do you think I should try a 3-cell one instead?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM
T Erickson

Both my 50 and 58 are happy on 2 cell lipo unregulated. I too tried raising the lever a little, with no effect, it wasn't until I raised it what seemed like way too much, flush with the body, that my problem was solved. I found the information on the teamflyingcircus site, in the Evolution engine thread.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:08 PM
ggroyal1

I have been using Duralite lithium ion 7.4 2600mah batteries for over 5 years. I replaced them a few months ago.
I think they are safer than LiPo batteries.
https://duraliteflightsystems.com/in...product_id=166

Evolution 58gx2, 26gx, & MVVS 26
Old 07-07-2013, 08:20 PM
yaron_k
My Feedback: (45)

Thank you guys
I will be trying to raise the lever more. do you happen to have a link to were it was explained?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: yaron_k

I need a helping hand regarding an MVVS 58 Prosport (identical to the Evolution 58 GX2) engine
I have a brand new MVVS 58 Prosport, mounted on a 3D plan, equipped with an MVVS pitts muffler and rotating a VESS 24B propeller
The engine went through a break-in exactly as per the manual, and burned until now app, 2.5 gallons of fuel, were the first two were run using 98 Octane unleaded gasoline mixed with 3% of the supplied break-in oil, and the following 1/2 gal. was run using 98 Octane unleaded gasoline mixed with 2.5% of redline racing oil (the same one used in my DA 120)

Now for the problems.

1. The engine high end RPM is around 6100. It seems to be on the low side as my Chinese JC60 turns the same prop 100 rpm higher
2. The engine is not working "smoothly", mainly on the low to mid range
3. Engine vibrates much more than expected (prop is well balanced)
4. Most sever issue: The engine – when warmed up just a bit - after idling for more than 15 seconds straight – refuses to accelerate and cuts off immediately if throttle is advanced at more than a very moderate pace.
5. I have tried the following, with no noticeable change / improvement:
a. Removal of cowling to rule-out cowling-related over heating
b. All combinations of carb. needles setup
c. Replacement of spark plugs
d. Replacement of ignition battery
e. Setting of the ignition both to long – exhaust and short exhaust modes
f. Replacement of the entire fuel system (tank and tubes) with one taken from a perfectly functioning other model (the one with the said JC60)
g. Removal of the carburetor and checking of all diaphragms for flaws – non found
h. Check for dirt or clogging – non found
i. Bending the metering lever a bit upwards to allow more liberal fuel flow into the carb under acceleration

I am really out of ideas and would love to get some insight about that issue
Sounds like it might be a bit off on the low speed needle, maybe a bit too lean.
I think the engines might be a bit cold blooded, so you might want to warm them up more before seeing if the throttle works OK. I have a few other brand engines that are really cold blooded and need a good warm up before I fly them.
The Pitts muffler really affects the power output of the engines, they do much better with canisters, tuned mufflers and tuned pipes. My Evo 58cc engine turns a TopFlite 24x10 prop at around 5800 RPMS with a Pitts Muffler. But the TF prop is a big thick wide prop though.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: blue77

Well..I recently purchased this engine, used, I'm afraid its not gx2, but the gx, although it came with user guide for the gx2.....the ignition box is black metal and indicates 4.8 volts...I thought I had made a good buy, but maybe not. I will not be using the engine for at least a couple of months...any ideas on what I should do? Thanks, B7

When you get around to it, then try test running the engine to see how it works. If the Vlach two magnet ignition unit is not working, you can get a CH-Ignitions conversion for it that just bolts right on, no hassle. Or one of the other units Pe has mentioned. The old Vlach ignition unit is a 4.8v unit, do not exceed the max voltage that a fully charged 4.8v nicad pack has for powering up the unit. If you want to use a 2 cell liPo or life pack instead use a voltage regulator with it or get a CH Igntion unit instead.