Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Conveting G62 to Electronic ignition

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Conveting G62 to Electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Conveting G62 to Electronic ignition

G'day folks,
I'm in the process of convering my G62 fitted to a 90" Vailly Seafury to electronic ignition. Nothing wrong with the standard magneto igntion but looking for smoother idle and transition and to keep vibration down. Also looking for some addtional RPM at the top end which I'm told I should get, hope so anyway.

Getting the RCxcel system from Glens Models in the UK.

Any thoughts?

cheers
Peter
Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Conveting G62 to Electronic ignition

The G62 is a great engine and will certainly benefit from the conversion to CDI and will provide some benefits as you suggested including easier starting and a bit of weight reduction, however I'm not sure the switch of ignition systems will give any increased rpm.

Karol
Old 08-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Pelle Gris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet for getting more power from a G62 would be to fit a canister or a full tuned pipe. Especially the tuned pipe will really increase the power, making it comparable to a GT-80 on mufflers.
A MenzS 24x10 should spin at around 6600 to 6700 rpm with a pipe.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Peter,

Firstly, why import the ignition when we have a local Aussie distributor - and a good one too. DL Engines Australia
I doubt you will see any change in vibration form the change. If anything, you can expect more with the removal of the flywheel (if you remove it) Balance (and balance again) your prop. That's probably the biggest single thing.

You will certainly get easier starting and smoother transition and quite likely somewhat increased output but again, the bext way to achieve smooth transition (and reduce vibration for that matter) is by fine tuning the carburettor and in particular the low end.

My 2c worth

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

G'day folks,
I'm in the process of convering my G62 fitted to a 90'' Vailly Seafury to electronic ignition. Nothing wrong with the standard magneto igntion but looking for smoother idle and transition and to keep vibration down. Also looking for some addtional RPM at the top end which I'm told I should get, hope so anyway.

Any thoughts?

cheers
Peter
Old 08-28-2010, 05:01 PM
The Ghost

G'day folks,
I'm in the process of convering my G62 fitted to a 90'' Vailly Seafury to electronic ignition. Nothing wrong with the standard magneto igntion but looking for smoother idle and transition and to keep vibration down. Also looking for some addtional RPM at the top end which I'm told I should get, hope so anyway.

Any thoughts?

cheers
Peter
Peter,

Contact Scott at DL Engines Australia on 0488142352 and get the full Rexel kit. Simple bolt on conversion, I have done the conversion and the engine idles smother and also has more top end in mine.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27598.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1491606  
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a photo of the G62 running with flywheel and a glass of water setting on test stand. Then when you get that conversion kit installed...take another photo with the same water in a glass. At same RPM also. That will be more convincing about the smoother running. I never seen a engine run smoother after removing the flywheel. But it may be possible. I think it is more in the fine tunning. Capt,n
Old 08-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: Pelle Gris

Your best bet for getting more power from a G62 would be to fit a canister or a full tuned pipe. Especially the tuned pipe will really increase the power, making it comparable to a GT-80 on mufflers.
A MenzS 24x10 should spin at around 6600 to 6700 rpm with a pipe.

I have tried slimline and now on a j-tec. The aim is to get RPM up as this is ina Seafury. Not trying to hang off the prop or do slow aeros. Hence 21x12 so that the motor unloads when going downhill. I need to get this motor up around 7500 rpm.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Al
did not realise DL had a conversion kit for the G62, did not even think of them to be honest. Oh well no mind
cheers
Peter
Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

G'day folks,

Any thoughts?

cheers
Peter
Peter,

Contact Scott at DL Engines Australia on 0488142352 and get the full Rexel kit. Simple bolt on conversion, I have done the conversion and the engine idles smother and also has more top end in mine.

Cheers

now I find out LOL

what rpm / prop ?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:43 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most dealers who sell the RCEXL ignitions also sell the kits for the G62
Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 AM
The Ghost

G'day folks,

Any thoughts?

cheers
Peter
Peter,

Cheers

now I find out LOL

what rpm / prop ?
Peter,

I'm getting 8400 on a Turnigy 22x10 wood and an idle of around 1200. Hand starting has become a snap as I have a damaged shoulder and the long wind up on the mag was killing me. The pick up mount on mine is my homemade on as the induction coil mounts were broken of mine(accident in the workshop)

Cheers
Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day folks,

Any thoughts?

cheers
Peter
Peter,

Cheers

now I find out LOL

what rpm / prop ?
Peter,

I'm getting 8400 on a Turnigy 22x10 wood and an idle of around 1200. Hand starting has become a snap as I have a damaged shoulder and the long wind up on the mag was killing me. The pick up mount on mine is my homemade on as the induction coil mounts were broken of mine(accident in the workshop)

Cheers

bloody hell I'd be stoked to get 8400 on a 22x10, I can just get 7000 on a 21x12 mejanik at the moment. Did you port, balance and blueprint it!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Both those brand mufflers you mentioned are not known for their power producing ability but rather for noise reduction, plus rpm readings can differ greatly between similar size but different brand props or from one tach to another.

Karol
Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

j-tec = noise reduction that is funny hehehe

On a warbird no room for tuned pipe exhausts etc so normally just a canister or box style is fitted.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
The Ghost

Peter,
Did you port, balance and blueprint it!
No, It was a dog of a motor new, only around 6000. Took about 25ltrs of fuel and it just kept getting stronger. Was getting 78-7900 with mag, and increase was due to electronic ign. I am using a Slimline muffler and it is being fitted in a GP Giant Christen Eagle. Have not heard what other people get out of this motor just that they are a great motor with heaps of power.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Peter,
Did you port, balance and blueprint it!
No, It was a dog of a motor new, only around 6000. Took about 25ltrs of fuel and it just kept getting stronger. Was getting 78-7900 with mag, and increase was due to electronic ign. I am using a Slimline muffler and it is being fitted in a GP Giant Christen Eagle. Have not heard what other people get out of this motor just that they are a great motor with heaps of power.

Cheers
have heard they don't come alive till quite a lot of use has been had on them. Might have to just keep doing a bit of ground running in between flying. Seafury is not a model I plan on flying most weekends though, more a once a month bird.

i'm getting 7000 rpm with the 21x12 Mejznk on magneto and aj-tec muffler fitted, was getting about 6800 - 6900 with the slimline (smoke). will keep the j-tec as it allows a lot more cooling air to exit with that big cannister removed.

looking forward to seeing how it goes with the electronic igntion fitted though till I get more hours on this engine I'm not expecting huge increase just yet.
cheers
Peter
Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
groovy67

I bought an rcxcel ignition for my G-62 and the sensor bracket broke on the first flight causing me to belly land my P-47.The sensor bracket is plastic an vibration is hell on it.I suggest making a bracket out of aluminum or steel to counter this.

Is it possible to use the magneto to send the signal to the electonic ignition? I may try this as an alternative method.

John
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

We race 100 inch 26 lb AT6s....Stock G62, no muffler, just a pipe about 8 inches long...Special APC race prop..9000 rpm in the air, somewhere in the neighborhood of 120+ mph...The prop is a 19 something, APC might still have some, the T6 race class is about done....
A 62 will run 9000 rpm FOREVOR....
The T6s at 26 lbs have no vertical problem....
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

mmm maybe but my Seafury is 42lb. If I can get from 7500 - 8000 rpm then I'll be very happy. Even getting an addtional 500 rpm will make ahuge difference to my ability to get off the deck aqnd have a good climb out as well as normal fighter type manouvers.

anyway will see what happens when I do the conversion.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Antique

I had a 38 lb seaplane, used a G62...Took a loooong time to get off the water, flew scale in the air....
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

can imagine it would have, lots of drag with those floats. At least the seafury is slick once it is up and moving.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

ANTIQUE

I BOUGHT A ZIROLI AT6 KIT A FEW YEARS AGO WITH A G62 SET UP FOR RACING. THE WING IS A ONE-PIECE WING VAVUUM BAGGED (CARBON FIBER) BY STINGER WALLACE. THAT ENGINE HAS A MAGNETO IGNITION ON IT. DID THEY RACE THOSE ENGINES WITH MAGNETO IGNITIONS? I DON'T PLAN ON RACING IT.......I JUST WANTED A HIGH PERFORMANCE AT6 FOR A GIANT SCALE WARBIRD. WOULD IT BEHOOVE ME TO PUT AN ELECTRONIC IGNITION ON THE ENGINE JUST TO MAKE HANDLING EASIER? I'VE BEEN SITTING ON THIS KIT FOR A FEW YEARS BECAUSE I NO LONGER HAVE A VEHICLE TO HAUL A 102" WING AROUND IN. I PLAN ON PURCHASING A NEW VEHICLE NEXT YEAR OR A TRAILER TO HANDLE IT. I ALSO HAVE A SECOND ZIROLI AT6 KIT WITH 2 PIECE WING. TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH TO BUILD. ANY COMMENTS OR RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ANYONE OUT THERE EXPERIENCED WITH THIS KIT WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Antique

The race 62s a box stock with open headers from Mac's products and a APC race prop...i was the engine inspector for 15 years, the 62s were magneto ignition and untouched internally...
EI won't make it faster, just lighter and easier to start..
Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

That's the one I have.
Do you recommend using the spring starter? I've read about nightmares trying to start this engine by hand. Does that kit tend to build tail heavy? If so, I would rather leave it on magneto so that the extra nose weight is at least functional, so to speak..... as long as I can get it to start dependably. In the end, the less complexity, the better!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Antique

The spring is the next best thing to the EI...
62s are not that hard to start without the spring, just takes a technique...Full choke, flip hard, it will pop...choke off, flip hard, it should start...They like to be pretty wet and the prop heeds to be set so the full force of the flip comes before the magnet comes before TDC...Use a good glove....With EI it's a one finger start....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.