RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10672914-has-anyone-tried-new-pte36r.html)

helodrvr 01-12-2012 06:36 AM

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

My PTE36R is on an Aero Works 35cc Extra 260. I have flown the airplane with a CRRC40 and a BME50. The CRRC 40 just did not pull the 14.5 lb airplane around well and the BME50 pulled it great, but the weight was over 15 lbs. A little heavy for the 78inch wing. I have not flown it yet with the PTE, but the PTE seems to have better power than the CRRC40 and is considerably lighter. Hope to have the plane around the 13 lb range.

wyo69cowboy 01-12-2012 07:43 AM

That Aeroworks plane (35cc) was the one that came to my mind :D. Hope this PTE turns out to be reliable like the DLE's have been; I've been wanting a 70"+ size plane for a while, and this engine would be good in several I have in mind: the Aeroworks, 71" Slick or 74" Edge from 3DHS, or 78" Extra from EF...

ahicks 01-12-2012 07:57 AM

Something closer to 80" is what I'm thinking...

aussiesteve 01-12-2012 02:28 PM

The plane in the following links would more than likely work well for it also. I am flying one with an MVVS 40 in it and it has significantly better than "Scale power" with that (IE - it will hover and pullout quite fast without needing to go to full throttle with that combo). I think the PTE 36 would also be adequate for it to fly "on the wing" - or "Scale" which is where many sport fliers fly.

The current crop of engines in this size range are actually quite close in power to the earleir "50cc" offerings that many of the earlier "50cc" planes were designed around.

As for the noise issue? others have already said it - buy an exhaust system that quietens it down or get over the fact it is noisy. Very few engines come with "supplied exhausts" that are actually quiet and even less manufacturers actually make alternative exhaust systems to the noisy ones. This is because of the modellers wanting to pay low prices for things - it is called a "trade-off".

[link]http://www.kangkeusa.com/Airplanes.htm[/link]

Or the same plane from the Aussie agent (this may save the usual PM trail from the Aussies that occurs when I post links to US suppliers)

[link]http://www.ydmodels.com.au/products%20/extra-330l-26/[/link]

ghoffman 01-12-2012 02:42 PM

Never thought that highly of that brand. I am kinda spoiled by 3DHS and Extreme Flight. <div></div>

3136 01-12-2012 02:53 PM

I actually bought this for my 80 inch Mustang, it's being tested on the extra because I don't care about the extra, acrobatic planes just don't do it for me.
The last thing you want in a warbird is a deadstick or something unreliable, thankfully the pte has proved so far to be very reliable, not one dead stick, starts easily and just "works"
As it has the rear exhaust it suits the warbirds well, I'm surprised so many people are using them in acrobatic planes.
When I finally finish my 1/4 sopwith pup it will probably have a 36 as well due to it being able to swing a bigger prop well.

On the noise issue I find the dle30 too noisy for my liking as well, if you are of the same mindset a canister is the way to go.

Would I buy another one?
So far the answer is yes.

Regards Mark

Rocketman_ 01-12-2012 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: 3136
... As it has the rear exhaust it suits the warbirds well, I'm surprised so many people are using them in acrobatic planes
The PTE36R's rear exhaust is conveniently located for aerobatic planes because many of them have a pipe channel under the fuselage or a pipe tunnel inside the fuselage. Three of my 3-D models have a pipe channel under the fuselage. The pictures show the channel in one of my Giles 202's and the pipe stinger under the fuselage.

ghoffman 01-12-2012 04:23 PM

It makes you wonder why they are not all rear exhaust?

mighty9 01-12-2012 05:49 PM

Guys a little update.I finally had time to change the plug boot on my stock ignition that was giving me interference.What i found out is that there was no crimp clamp over the shielding wire only heat shrink.The shield was making intermittent contact.i may have cause the shielding to be pulled loose removing the plug wire im not sure. Thing is the shielding can be pulled away from the cap quite easily so be careful.The new rcexl cap fixed all issues.

captinjohn 01-12-2012 07:48 PM

I had a ignition that I sent in too be checked. It would sometimes for no reason kick back when starting. The guy who checked it said it was ok. It ran his test engine. Well I got it back and it started doing the same thing once in a while. I cut the seam on the cap so I could fit a worm gear hose clamp to secure cap to sparkplug hex. Never had a problem since. Capt,nhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

gunny11 01-13-2012 12:10 AM

Good to know. I will, check mine and replace the cap. So, no more glitching on yours Mighty9.

Gunny

3136 01-13-2012 01:49 AM

I ordered a 17 x 10 3 blade biela, they have new pricing in the austars website $60 for a 17x10 3blade which is bloody good for what it is.:D
 http://www.austars-model.com/disprde...05171227339627

Or for the USA customers  http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/BP1710-3.html even less $54

Has anyone had experience with these http://www.apacheaviation.co.uk/Engi...minators_.html

Regards Mark

mighty9 01-13-2012 05:28 AM

My ignition doesnt glitch anymore Gunny. Mark we used those back when the first big 4 strokes came out ie 1.20 and 1.80. They helped but i wasnt impressed with them.

3136 01-13-2012 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mighty9

My ignition doesnt glitch anymore Gunny. Mark we used those back when the first big 4 strokes came out ie 1.20 and 1.80. They helped but i wasnt impressed with them.
Hey Mighty9, I assumeyou are referring to the engine mounts not the prop link.
Was it that brand you used? What didn't you like about them?

I planned to mount the engine on a ply sheet with stand offs as normal, then mount that ply sheet to the firewall with the insulators, that way more insulators can be added if more stability is desired.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/75_75.gif
Similar to this http://www.escomposites.com/soft_mount.htm

PS, that's good about the ignition, at least it's just the cap and not the module itself

mighty9 01-13-2012 02:51 PM

No it wasnt that brand but ive tried several soft mounts .They all shake way to bad at lower rpms.Carb linkage is a pain.I was considering trying those props. If those mounts you found work let me know.

3136 01-13-2012 04:03 PM

Hi Mighty9, that is what I have heard from others, hopefully the mounting plate idea will help as it can accomodate more insulators if needed.
I got 8 of the insulators on order so I can play with different options.

I left my phone on the plane a few days ago and it rang on silent mode, but with the vibrate on.
It made the whole plane sound like a drum, it was surprisingly loud.
I then wondered how much noise was coming from the plane and not the engine.
Sit your phone on your plane with the vibrate on and call it, you'll see what I mean.

Regards Mark

3136 01-14-2012 03:21 AM

Hey fellas, I got a db meter.
I tested the 36 with the wolf muffler 7 metres in front at full throttle, 19x8 hawk prop at 7560rpm DB=90.0
I also tested another plane with a os 33gt that had a 20x8 xoar, I forgot to measure rpm DB=86.9.
I would have tested a pte muffler but they are supplied with a different one here in Australia.

When I get the canister ,3 blade prop and soft mounts I'll test the changes individually.
Hopefully I can come up with a winning combo, I'm actually very keen to see the change the false firewall and soft mounts work.

Regards Mark

airborne2.4 01-14-2012 04:19 AM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

I am kinda spoiled by 3DHS and Extreme Flight.
I think Aeroworks could spoil ya too :)

airborne2.4 01-14-2012 04:22 AM

The PTE36 should be sweet with the 30cc Breitling MXS-R from Red Aero;)

ghoffman 01-14-2012 05:08 AM

Does anyone know when the 72cc twin will come out?  I think AW planes are very high quality, but they tend to be heavier and all the CF stuff is optional.

ahicks 01-14-2012 05:11 AM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Does anyone know when the 72cc twin will come out? I think AW planes are very high quality, but they tend to be heavier and all the CF stuff is optional.
X2, pretty, but heavy.....

mighty9 01-14-2012 06:02 AM

I was told the twin comes out soon.

swk550 01-15-2012 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got my PTE36R engine to run. New in the box it wouldn't start. I reset the timing to 28 degree BTC. Only an occasional pop. I sent the engine back. They found one of the carbon fiber reeds was not sealing. They test ran the engine and sent it back. When I received the engine, it still would only pop but not start. I took the reed cage out and found casting flashing around the reed sealing ports. I deburred the ports and sanded the sealing surfaces with 1000 grit paper. The timing was off, around 40 degree BTC. I reset it to 28 degree. Now the engine primes easy. The HS and LS were off slightly and had to be set slightly richer than recommended settings. The initial reading is 7400 RPM with a XOAR 18-10 swoard prop with stock mufflers. I am using a home made Hyde type isolator mount. It has a reliable idle at 2200 RPM. Throttle transition is good. I had four flights on the engine. It ran very reliably. I hope to get a rear exhaust header and use my ES40G tuned pipe next.

I have a OS GT33 engine with a ES30G tuned pipe on my EF 78" Extra. This is a real power house set up. The OS GT33 has much more compression. It does want to start backwords with the stock OS ignition module. I'd like to get some comparrison data after the PTE get broken in. Below is a picture of the OS engine isolator mount.

airborne2.4 01-15-2012 08:04 AM

I'm interested in hearing more about the EF 78'' Extra/OS GT33 combo. It should be an awesome combo:D

3136 01-16-2012 11:21 PM

Hi Swk550, where did you get your engine and did it have shrink wrap on the cyl head?

Glad you got it sorted out, pity it wasn't done before you got it.