RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/10672914-has-anyone-tried-new-pte36r.html)

gunny11 05-04-2012 04:33 PM

RE: Has anyone tried the new PTE36R ?

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the newer one.

gplarry 05-04-2012 06:32 PM

I have a PTE36 on the way. I have a XOAR 19X8 prop on hand and plan to use it for break in.
I hope to be able to unbolt the DLE30 from my SBach and bolt the PTE36 in its place.
Is there any need to check the timing or open it up and check the inside?
One of the posts suggested touching up the reeds seat.

I followed a thread where MTK did an extensive test with the OS 33 for pattern.
It was an excellent article and made me want to go buy two or three OS33s.

A month ago it looked like the PTE36 might get similar testing.
Did you try the PTE on a pipe Mark?

Larry

Rocketman_ 05-05-2012 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The old and the new.

MTK 05-05-2012 08:08 PM

ORIGINAL: gplarry

I have a PTE36 on the way. I have a XOAR 19X8 prop on hand and plan to use it for break in.
I hope to be able to unbolt the DLE30 from my SBach and bolt the PTE36 in its place.
Is there any need to check the timing or open it up and check the inside?
One of the posts suggested touching up the reeds seat.

I followed a thread where MTK did an extensive test with the OS 33 for pattern.
It was an excellent article and made me want to go buy two or three OS33s.

A month ago it looked like the PTE36 might get similar testing.
Did you try the PTE on a pipe Mark?

Larry
Larry,

If you were asking me (Matt K, or MTK) no I have not done any testing on the PTE on pipe. Shipped mine back to Redwing for a replacement. Much too much rod play and a too rough feel around BDC. Tim at Redwing said he was going to fix me up right away. I should have a new one early next week.

The OS33GT is going to be hard to beat tho...On the other hand, at 280$ if the PTE has 80% the power and 80% the field manners of the OS, it will be a good value. The convenience of rear exhaust (headers are available) makes tight front ends easier to fit.

The only caveat I've seen so far is starting....The OS doesn't have to have a starter to get going but it sure helps, especially on the first start of the day

gplarry 05-06-2012 10:08 AM

MattK

Thanks for the response and thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.

The OS 33 initial prices after the Tower super saver discount is not that bad for a quality engine. My issues with the OS33 are the replacement parts cost in case of a crash and my preception that getting warranty work done would raise my blood pressure significantly. That said I will probably buy one at some point.

The PTE36 should be here tomorrow. I ordered the stainless steel muffler since I need the extra nose weight and was curious whether it would make a difference in performance.

I always run my gas engines dry at the end of the day. I always start them with an electric starter the first start of the day.

I am anxious to see how the PTE36 compares to my DLE30 on the SBach. My DLE 30 will be hard to beat. I am hoping for a little more grunt and all else to be the same.

Larry

3136 05-06-2012 12:55 PM

I wonder if Mr Bowman is making rings for these yet?

aussiesteve 05-06-2012 02:25 PM

I always run my gas engines dry at the end of the day. I always start them with an electric starter the first start of the day.
That is not necessarily the best practice for any engine.
By running it dry, you are also running it dry of lubricant. By using a starter, you are running it up with no lubricant. That all equates to increased engine wear. Unlike Methanol engines, Gas doesn't adsorb water. the lubricant left in the engine by running them dry, also acts as a corrosion protection. Carb diaphragms also last longer if the carb is left "wet".

Chances are that if you didn't run dry at the end of the day, you wouldn't need the starter for the next flying session.

Just my $.02 on that

gplarry 05-06-2012 07:47 PM

I often let an engine set for a month or more without running. I have had some problem in the past with gunk in the carb from evaporated gas.

For gas engines I empty the tank then start the engine and let it idle until it dies at the end of a flying session. I doubt if Idling the engine until it runs out of fuel is as hard on it as letting it run the tank dry at full throttle in the air. I see people do that fairly often. But your point is well taken and I appreciate the advice.

I read somewhere on one of the posts that a PTE36 engine timing was like 35degrees from the factory. Has anyone found the timing to be way off on a new engine?

Larry

gunny11 05-06-2012 09:33 PM

Right on aussiesteve.

My timing was only off by 2 degrees.

MTK 05-07-2012 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: gplarry

I often let an engine set for a month or more without running. I have had some problem in the past with gunk in the carb from evaporated gas.

For gas engines I empty the tank then start the engine and let it idle until it dies at the end of a flying session. I doubt if Idling the engine until it runs out of fuel is as hard on it as letting it run the tank dry at full throttle in the air. I see people do that fairly often. But your point is well taken and I appreciate the advice.

I read somewhere on one of the posts that a PTE36 engine timing was like 35degrees from the factory. Has anyone found the timing to be way off on a new engine?

Larry

Larry,

I have yet to run one of these small gassies out of gas after flying sessions so I don't have experience with that. If you are only laying one up for a month, I doubt it is much of an issue tho, as long as one doesn't live in a high humidity place like the Gulf coast or sunny southern east coast. Synthetic oils stay around for quite awhile. As Steve sez, if you are going to let one stand unoiled for a year or more, you "might" get sone oxidation.

Just recently I started my lawn mower after it laid unused for 6 years. I had made certain to run the gas out of it back before I moved to my current home 6 years ago. I had heard all the stuff about laying up small engines for long times without gas in the carb so I was a little concerned, but it was no problem. Simply refueled it and it cranked right up. Don't know if there was any rust in it, but it ran great and have had no issues since.....YMMV!

gplarry 05-07-2012 06:38 PM

The habit of running engines dry came from having to replace bearings in the glow engines.

You are probably right that idling the gas engine dry is not accomplishing anything other than maybe reducing the gas smell in the car and in the house.

I do like having the gas tanks empty since I store the planes in the house and shop.

I got the PTE36 engine today.

On my ancient scales the bare engine weighed 2 lbs and 4 oz.

The scales are at least 50 years old so they are not likely to be very accurate.

I will weight the DLE for comparison when I get the mounts off it.

I took the DLE30 off my SBach and the PTE36 fit in its place using the same holes in the firewall.

The PROP from the DLE30 bolted right on the PTE36.

The new engine I got today had been run.

I could smell the gas and rub black suet from the exhaust.

Hopefully that means the needles are set and it is ready to start.

One odd thing is that you can see the piston pin through the exhaust port.

I assume the piston pin is secured in the piston so that it can't get into the port.

The optional stainless steel muffler that Mike sold me with the engine does not stick back as far as the stock muffler.

It is flat on the side that faces the engine.

The stock muffler would have required some serious dremel work on the firewall or some spacers under the mounts.

The optional muffler required very little trimming of the firewall to fit nicely.

So far so good.

The PTE36 has about 20% more displacement than the DLE30.

I am anxious to see how that translates to pulling power.

Larry

3136 05-07-2012 08:04 PM

Hi fellas,
Frank Bowman does not make rings for these yet, he said if I can send him a cylinder and ring he can make them.
Unfortunately he is in the USA and I'm in Australia.
Does anyone who ownes a PTE36 live near him, and willing to send him the cyl and ring?
Naturally I'll buy you a couple of rings for your trouble.
He lives here:

Frank Bowman <font face="arial" size="2" color="#000000"><font face="arial" size="2" color="#000000"><div style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-WEIGHT: normal"><div style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-WEIGHT: normal"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><div id="ecxAOLMsgPart_1_c61ff403-bf8f-4189-bce7-c63f18c80e3a"><div dir="ltr"><div><div style="FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><div id="ecxAOLMsgPart_1_2dfbfad8-36f8-4738-9525-e56fd529a4c2"><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><font face="Arial"><font face="Arial"><font face="Arial">1211 N Allen Ave.</font> </font></font></div><font face="Arial"><font face="Arial"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><font face="Arial">Farmington, N.M. 87401-3568</font></div><div><font face="Arial">505-327-0696</font></div></div></div></div></font></font></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></font></font>

The bowman ring seems to give better performance on all engines.
Considering the 36 takes so long to break in, it would appear the ring is very hard and also possibly under a lot of friction.
Maybe a Bowman ring will unleash a few more revs.

gunny11 05-07-2012 11:46 PM

Larry, is the outside diameter of the stainless steel mufflers' stack tubes the same O.D. as the stock muffler? Could you check this for me please.

Thanks,

Gunny

gplarry 05-08-2012 03:46 AM

I will check them tonight. From memory the stainless pipes seemed slightly bigger inside. I do not remember whether they looked bigger outside.

I did not try filling the mufflers with water but the stock muffler seemed to have slightly more volume than the stainless muffler just from eyeballikng them.

gwweber 05-08-2012 04:38 PM

I have a video of great planes ultimate 160 with a pte36. I am a nub flier started last late spring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTETe...p;feature=plcp
this is with a 18-8 breakin prop will try a 19-8 when i get my new muffler. BTW I sent my old muffler to Bisson and he is going to make a muffler, mine will bea large can as my field hates loud planes, and the pte is pretty loud.

gplarry 05-08-2012 05:09 PM

gunny11,

Outside diameter is the same.

The walls of the stainless steel tubes are thinner than the stock tubes.

The stainless steel muffler looks like it will be tough.

Larry

gunny11 05-09-2012 12:37 AM

Larry, Thanks. I've heard that someone had the pipes fall out of the stock aluminum.

mikes68charger 05-09-2012 10:12 AM

Well I pulled the PTE36R out of the box I got it from TBM about 2 months ago and put her on the test stand during lunch today.

I only had a TBM Belia Scale warbird 18X10 3 blad prop to run her with. And this is the prop I was hopeing to use with this motor.

As I have several gas motors, DLE, NGH, BME, DLA I would say this motor started like a dream, DLE style. LOL

Mine has the new muffler, and has been run running at one point before I started it up.

With out tuching the needles and only running 32oz of fuel at 3,200 rpm to break it in a little,

she was able to pull 5,500 rpms with this prop, Iknow this prop loads heavy now, but I was hopeing for more. But the motor temps seems good but at this rpm unless it unloads in the air, Im stuck with a prop speed around 52mph. Not bad but no as fast I was hopeing,

I put this prop on a BME50 and there was only about 1,000rpm diffrance, so I would say this motor is a champ, but not with this prop.

MTK 05-09-2012 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

Well I pulled the PTE36R out of the box I got it from TBM about 2 months ago and put her on the test stand during lunch today.

I only had a TBM Belia Scale warbird 18X10 3 blad prop to run her with. And this is the prop I was hopeing to use with this motor.

As I have several gas motors, DLE, NGH, BME, DLA I would say this motor started like a dream, DLE style. LOL

Mine has the new muffler, and has been run running at one point before I started it up.

With out tuching the needles and only running 32oz of fuel at 3,200 rpm to break it in a little,

she was able to pull 5,500 rpms with this prop, I know this prop loads heavy now, but I was hopeing for more. But the motor temps seems good but at this rpm unless it unloads in the air, Im stuck with a prop speed around 52mph. Not bad but no as fast I was hopeing,

I put this prop on a BME50 and there was only about 1,000rpm diffrance, so I would say this motor is a champ, but not with this prop.

Mike,

You might consider an 18x10 3 blade Mezjlik carbon. I have heard that the Bielas are alot of load; the Mezjlik may be lower load. The main problem is the price tag, around 70$

I'm currently running an 18x10 3 blade Mezjlik on my OS33GT and am very happy with its performance. No sense quoting numbers because mine is a piped set-up and will be much higher than a muffled numbers.

Another thing to consider is break in. Gas engines, just like glow counterparts, will turn more prop after full break-in. You may want to consider getting the engine fully broken in and then trying the Biela 3 blader again.

My DLE55 turns a 20x12 Mezjlik 3 blader at a bit more than 7K. Your 50cc should be able to turn an 18x10 3 blader more than mid 6's. Are you sure you are tuned right?

captinjohn 05-09-2012 01:27 PM

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R?

No I have not...and not going too! Capt,n

bgw45 05-09-2012 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Has anyone tried the new PTE36R?

No I have not...and not going too! Capt,n

Hmmm.... so much for the sig line

mikes68charger 05-10-2012 06:09 AM

MTK

Thanks for the info, I may have to try that. I just don't like Corsairs with 2 blade props.

I heard a yesterday that DLE may be comeing out with 35cc rear carb and rear muff, (don't care as I like the PTE) but They may also have in 2 or so months a Rear carb and rear muff DLE60. Now that will fit the bill exsactly unless PTE can finily come out with there PTE60 and make it rear muff like there 36R brothers.

Mike

MTK 05-10-2012 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: mikes68charger

MTK

Thanks for the info, I may have to try that. I just don't like Corsairs with 2 blade props.

I heard a yesterday that DLE may be comeing out with 35cc rear carb and rear muff, (don't care as I like the PTE) but They may also have in 2 or so months a Rear carb and rear muff DLE60. Now that will fit the bill exsactly unless PTE can finily come out with there PTE60 and make it rear muff like there 36R brothers.

Mike
Mike, YW,

Me too, I'm anxiously waiting for the DLE35RA and DLE55RA to be introduced.....I am extremely pleased with my DLE55 side exhaust as are many many folks. I have mine piped and soft mounted for electric like quietness, just perfect for my application....

Agreed, somehow any WWII warbird with anything less than 3 blades looks strange. The original FS Corsairs had 4 blades right?. I think APC makes a 16x12 4 blade that might work.

mikes68charger 05-10-2012 09:40 AM

3 is better than 2 LOL

NO, if I can get the 55 rear exsaust motor, I will run the 18X10 4 blade, scale looking props. Ilove the way they look. and that will fit my needs on the head.

But im starting to think today I got 5600 RPMs with that prop after somemore run time.

I also finish working on my GS TF P51 with DLE55 and Kelo muff with a 22X(8-14) prop Im getting 5900-6000rpms The muff is restritive

Granted the With the 14 pich Im getting 72-76mph prop speed vs the 54mph The PTE36R with the 3 blade prop will give me but I don't need the corsair to rip up the skys.

MTK 05-11-2012 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: MTK
Larry,

If you were asking me (Matt K, or MTK) no I have not done any testing on the PTE on pipe. Shipped mine back to Redwing for a replacement. Much too much rod play and a too rough feel around BDC. Tim at Redwing said he was going to fix me up right away. I should have a new one early next week.

The OS33GT is going to be hard to beat tho...On the other hand, at 280$ if the PTE has 80% the power and 80% the field manners of the OS, it will be a good value. The convenience of rear exhaust (headers are available) makes tight front ends easier to fit.

The only caveat I've seen so far is starting....The OS doesn't have to have a starter to get going but it sure helps, especially on the first start of the day
Just received the replacement from Redwing. This one definitely feels smoother and has much tighter rod clearances. I will not be using the muffler; it is for sale