RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   EME 70 Twin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/11602771-eme-70-twin.html)

irocbsa 08-14-2014 06:56 AM

EME 70 Twin

Does anyone here have any experience with the EME 70 twins?

http://www.milehighrc.com/EME70CC.html

It looks to be a fairly compact engine with at a great price. I love the EME's I already have, especially the ones equipped with auto-start. :) I'd love to have a twin with autostart but I'd like to hear some feedback before I dump 6 bills on an engine.

Speedy-Gonzales 03-08-2015 05:15 PM

I am interested in this engine also and am hoping to see it at TOLEDO in April.
I really wish it was 80cc and am skeptical of the claimed 7 HP rating.

Looking for something other than the heavy burping GT-80 I have now.

tande 03-09-2015 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by irocbsa (Post 11860434)
Does anyone here have any experience with the EME 70 twins?

http://www.milehighrc.com/EME70CC.html

It looks to be a fairly compact engine with at a great price. I love the EME's I already have, especially the ones equipped with auto-start. :) I'd love to have a twin with autostart but I'd like to hear some feedback before I dump 6 bills on an engine.

I have the "EME120" & would buy the "70" in a heart/beat, if I were in the market.........FWIW

irocbsa 03-10-2015 04:18 PM

There's a thread on the other forum that seems to indicate that this is a nice engine. I'll probably pick one up for my giant scale P-47 and report back.

oldtimer4759 03-12-2015 04:29 PM

hi, I have one, it is in an ESM Corsair, 85in, only about 1 hour air time on it so far, very happy with it, wish I had bought the one with the on board starter, would look cool, runs very nice, not as quiet as I had hoped, quite smooth, would be great in any model with room for a twin, you will need a good starter to turn it over, as both cylinders fire together, I have one of the belt drive HK starters with a 4 cell lipo, only just winds it over,
so far, a very good engine, good power, smooth. Would recommend it.
Oldtimer

irocbsa 03-30-2015 08:30 AM

I finally scraped up the cash to order one of these. It should be here at the end of the week and will be replacing the Brison 53cc single on my Top Flite giant scale P-47. I'll post back up when I get it running. :)

dirtybird 03-30-2015 09:46 AM

I saw a site that advertised buy one get one free

update
The site no longer has engines

irocbsa 05-25-2015 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an promised update on the EME 70 that I installed in my Top Flite giant scale P-47. Unfortunately, the engine will not fit without trimming the cowl for the plug caps. A lot more would have been required if I used the kit version of the cowl which is a bit thinner than the ARF version. Luckily, I had an ARF cowl as a spare so I trimmed it and painted to match the rest of the plane. The only things that stick out are the muffler pipes and the plug caps. It's not too bad and the added power over the Brison 53 will be much welcomed. At 24.5 lbs it was a bit of a dog with the Brison. The autostart has worked flawlessly. I used the Version 2 motor controller from Mile High RC (essentially a 100A SPDT relay on a circuit board). It was easy to set up but you need to make your own case for it since it doesn't come with one. At $18 thought I didn't mind a little bit of extra work. I need to finish weathering the cowl and she'll be ready to go. I wanted to fly today, but of course the weather in stupid Michigan is always either wind or more wind. Maybe next weekend. If anyone wants a good running Brison 3.2 for a good price just let me know. :)

irocbsa 05-31-2015 11:59 AM

Here's another brief update for anyone interested in this engine. I flew the P-47 twice yesterday before the torrential downpour started. I'm using a 24 X 10 Xoar WW2 prop for break-in and it's turning about 6500 RPM. It pulled the 25lb plane around fairly well but not as well as I had hoped. However, on the second flight it seemed to pick up a few hundred RPM and about 5MPH in the air so I'm hoping it will continue to get stronger as it breaks in. If it continues to pick up power I'll switch to the 24 X 12 that I have waiting in the wings to see if I can get some more straight line speed. On a plane that weighs 18-20 lbs this engine should turn it into a rocket.

oldtimer4759 06-15-2015 09:30 PM

I have a dozen flights on mine now, very happy with it, I have telemetry gear on my Tx, so I hooked up a Temp sensor to the engine, it is running a bit warmer than I had hoped, about the 140 to 150 C measured at the back of the cylinder head, no signs of running hot in the air or on the ground, just clean exhaust, good to start, I have soldered up the hole in the choke butterfly, I have been running it on 30mls of Oil to 1 ltr of unleaded, I have just mixed up a new batch of fuel, with 35mls of oil in it, see if it makes a difference.
Oldtimer

irocbsa 06-16-2015 04:54 AM

I've been impressed with the engine thus far. Hopefully it will continue to run well. It seems to be gaining noticeably more power with each flight as it breaks in.

BOLTMAN 01-29-2016 02:30 AM

Been a while since any reports here, how are the EME 70s going?

What props are you using after run in & what sort of rpm are you getting?

oldtimer4759 01-30-2016 03:33 PM

Hi, mine is running great, a 23 x 10 carbon prop, Mez?? At about 7k rpm on the ground, easy to hand flick start, hauls the 15kg Corsair around with out a problem and it is smooth.
Oldtimer

BOLTMAN 01-30-2016 05:44 PM

Thanks Oldtimer.
What Corsair are you running the EME in?
I am looking at a Corsair the same size as the Ziroli ( 93" or 2.36m ) and thinking of the EME 70 for that.
When you say the EME hauls your 15kg Corsair with ease, how much more weight do you reckon it would pull and still fly with authority?
Cheers!

oldtimer4759 02-07-2016 02:14 AM

G'day Boltman,
I have the 85 inch ESM Corsair, the 70cc twin will probably fly the Ziroli, but, we are talking about a War Bird that had horse power, so I would say go for power, the EME 120 or a DLE 110, after all, your Transmitter has a variable throttle and you will probably need the weight.
Oldtimer

BOLTMAN 02-07-2016 05:30 AM

Hi Oldtimer,
Thanks for the info. I hear what you say about power, theres nothing like having spare & I definitely know how to use a throttle, but unfortunately the bigger twins you mention won't fit inside the cowl & that is important to me. If I can't have a twin that fits inside I would rather a big single hanging out the bottom. I guess the answer is to build the model nice & light :)
Cheers!

oldtimer4759 02-10-2016 02:45 PM

Hi Boltman,
still think your model will need the power, have a look at pictures on this page, it is the same kit as mine with a 110 DLE twin in it, just bits of the plug caps poke out, yours should have a bigger cowl than the 85 in ESM kit. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...orsair-38.html
Oldtimer.

BOLTMAN 02-11-2016 06:28 AM

Hi Oldtimer.
I have a DLE111 and is does not fit. Having plug caps hanging out is not an option as I am building this model for use in competition.
I have flown a Ziroli Corsair powered by a Super Tigre 4500 and the Ziroli was designed around a Zenoah G62. The EME 70 out does either of those for power. I am only looking for scale performance, not a hot rod.
The best option of course would be a Moki 180 but I need to win lotto to get one of those! :cool:
Cheers!

redjack 11-12-2017 08:29 AM

For those of you with the EME 70 w/starter. How are you attaching the wire to the starter? Can you solder it directly?
Thanks,
Gary