RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

Joystick TX 10-18-2010 11:42 AM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

I never struck the prop at all. Even with the recent crunch, the prop stopped horizontally and the undercarriage hit, the engine was never touched.

I'm waiting for my new engine to arrive, and then I was going to send this one back for all the upgrades since the first batch. I do remember the first batch having some issues with the keys shearing without necessarily having a prop strike, so that may very well be it. I'll be checking it out today. If that's it, I'm grounded until my new engine arrives.

Good thing it's Hallowe'en, or I'd be a little worried about my order number....# 666...[X(]

I'll let you know what I find..... I'm a little bummed that my new Giant Super Sportster didn't get to maiden...

~ Jim ~ [&o]
Hey, I'm even more bummed out about your lack of a maiden than you are. I need some cheering up. I know I'll be able to see your ear-to-ear smile from here!

Maybe I will get my GSS #2 in the air before Turkey time. I have the big parts, the fuselage and wing came in Saturday. Building a new stab and rudder from scratch will take some time. I sure miss flying it.

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-18-2010 11:55 AM

I have a nice-flying Pulse XT 60 in the meantime, so I'm not actually dying or anything. It'll fly, on that you may depend.

Just would like it to be sooner rather than later.

~ Jim ~

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-18-2010 08:22 PM

The plot thickens. I just set the Syssa so that the prop was at 12 o'clock when the engine is at TDC. Then I turned the switch on and moved the prop up until it reached the 1 o'clock position, when it fired. Repeated and verified many times, even held my round shop-clock in front of it to verify. This engine is set to fire at 28 to 30 degrees before TDC, right? 30 goes into 360 exactly 12 times. Firing at the one o'clock position, the engine is firing exactly where it's supposed to.

So, tomorrow I shall be dumping the gas mix and making up some new mix. It better run as soon as the new gas touches the spark plug. Or the swear words will be heard in Maine....

I guess I have to get used to this heat ruining the gas quickly here.

~ Jim ~ [sm=angry.gif]

JohnB96041 10-18-2010 08:43 PM

Anyone flying the Funtana 125 with the new SAP180 gasser? What prop are you using? Or what landing gear did you change to? The 18 x 6 that I have on mine sure is close to the ground.

w8ye 10-18-2010 08:47 PM

The plot thickens. I just set the Syssa so that the prop was at 12 o'clock when the engine is at TDC. Then I turned the switch on and moved the prop up until it reached the 1 o'clock position, when it fired. Repeated and verified many times, even held my round shop-clock in front of it to verify. This engine is set to fire at 28 to 30 degrees before TDC, right? 30 goes into 360 exactly 12 times. Firing at the one o'clock position, the engine is firing exactly where it's supposed to.

So, tomorrow I shall be dumping the gas mix and making up some new mix. It better run as soon as the new gas touches the spark plug. Or the swear words will be heard in Maine....

~ Jim ~ [sm=angry.gif]
You should be good to go

DamonR 10-18-2010 09:09 PM

These pictures probably won't help... but a couple Syssa 30's ran really well on Sunday.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpguokV10EY[/youtube]

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-18-2010 09:15 PM

Let me venture a guess....one was Todd's?

~ Jim ~

Joystick TX 10-18-2010 10:08 PM

I guess I have to get used to this heat ruining the gas quickly here.

~ Jim ~ [sm=angry.gif]
One way to test for bad gas is to put the plane in a starter bench or have someone hold it, open the throttle wide, turn ON the ignition, close the choke, get a good grip on the propand rock it until you get a "bump". It will almost lift the plane off the ground when it fires if everything is OK. Did I tell you to have a good grip on the prop?

Don't dump out the bad gas, put it in the mower or weed eater, it will give you some good arm exercise.

Hope the gas is the problem.

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-18-2010 10:24 PM

Me too. I have spark and I have gas being pumped in. The spark timing seems to be right on the money.

But no kick or pop at all.

~ J ~

w8ye 10-18-2010 10:55 PM

To test for the proper spark advance you have to be turning the prop in the direction that the engine runs because the spark event occurs as the magnet is leaving the sensor.

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-18-2010 11:26 PM

I had the model inverted on the Robart stand (so I could see the piston position through the sparkplug hole) and was turning it counterclockwise. I set the prop to be exactly vertical when the piston was at the Top Dead Center. Swinging the prop counterclockwise from 5 o'clock towards 4, 3, 2, and 1, it sparked exactly at 1 o'clock, BEFORE it reached TDC, which would make it about 30 degrees before TDC. By any mechanical estimate, certainly good enough that it should kick or pop, and it should run, even if it didn't run well.

I get NOTHING.

I'll check in tomorrow and let you know how the fresh mix works.

~ Jim ~ [&o]

Mike Miller 10-19-2010 02:50 AM

Good Morning Jim,
You will all recognize me as a new user for the syssa so I offer this with conditions. I don't claim to know all, but I do have many years of experience working on internal combustion engines. My Syssa sheared it's timing key a week and a half ago, and Todd has it right now repairing and updating it. It happened while starting, the engine coughed and backfired. The prop nut loosened when this hapenned and I could never get it to fire after that. It took some head scratching then I remember reading about the key shearing on this thread and sure enough, that was it (in my case).

It sounds like your timing is still set right. From everything that you have described, I seriously doubt that the fuel has gone bad this quickly. I would be more inclined to put in a new spark plug and try it. I have seen plugs before that would spark in atmospheric pressure, but when under compression they would not.

Like I said, I don't know everything, but I would certainly hold the plug as suspect over the fuel.

Mike

DamonR 10-19-2010 06:47 AM

I'm flying the Funtana 125 with an SAP 180 and stock gear. The gear is aluminum, you could bend it some to gain ground clearance. I haven't had any issues with the stock gear for the past year.

jdeltano 10-19-2010 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike Miller

Good Morning Jim,
You will all recognize me as a new user for the syssa so I offer this with conditions. I don't claim to know all, but I do have many years of experience working on internal combustion engines. My Syssa sheared it's timing key a week and a half ago, and Todd has it right now repairing and updating it. It happened while starting, the engine coughed and backfired. The prop nut loosened when this hapenned and I could never get it to fire after that. It took some head scratching then I remember reading about the key shearing on this thread and sure enough, that was it (in my case).

It sounds like your timing is still set right. From everything that you have described, I seriously doubt that the fuel has gone bad this quickly. I would be more inclined to put in a new spark plug and try it. I have seen plugs before that would spark in atmospheric pressure, but when under compression they would not.

Like I said, I don't know everything, but I would certainly hold the plug as suspect over the fuel.

Mike
+1 on the plug theory, I have had this experience, not on the Syssa but on a Evolution 35GT

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-19-2010 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: jdeltano

ORIGINAL: Mike Miller

Good Morning Jim,

Mike
+1 on the plug theory, I have had this experience, not on the Syssa but on a Evolution 35GT
I have also had this experience, but since I've had the fuel a few months now (since early spring, I believe), I'm going to mix a fresh gallon today and see what happens. I can always go find a spark plug if that doesn't clear up the problem. Like the key shearing, it makes some sense. I was flying it, and then it became worse and then flamed out when I started to go around. The one thing I'm trying to factor in and get it to make sense is that it only happened when the engine got to its full running heat. It was still perfect when it was cooler. I changed it over to this aircraft and figured it would start up while cool, but it never even popped this time. Since the spark timing seems right-on, I'm left with the spark plug and the fuel.

Well, that's this morning's project. By the way, where can I buy another spark plug locally, at the auto parts store? A lawn and garden store? Sears?

I was going to use the one from the new SAP 180 that's coming, but there was a production glitch and I won't have that to steal and use for testing.

I might as well have a couple of extras on hand, anyway.

~ Jim ~ [:o]

w8ye 10-19-2010 10:37 AM

I went tio Advance Auto Parts and bought two $5 ea

They have them at O'Rielly's too at a cheaper price

Joystick TX 10-19-2010 10:45 AM

Well, that's this morning's project. By the way, where can I buy another spark plug locally, at the auto parts store? A lawn and garden store? Sears?

~ Jim ~ [:o]
If you call the stores first you can save time, they don't have them at all of O'Rielly's locations.

I had an odd plug problem, it would run great only one time per day.

w8ye 10-19-2010 11:36 AM

I had to order them and pick them up the next day.

The NGK CM-6 goes by the number of #5812

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-19-2010 01:12 PM

Thanks! I was just getting ready to head off for both gas and spark plug. I'm not even messing with the gas. I killed a bunch of fire ants this morning, by the way.

Now I've got the oil in the can and I'm getting ready to make some fresh mix.

Thanks for the tips, we have O-Rielly's around here, I know I've seen them. I'll keep you advised on how it goes! I'm betting it'll start right up.

~ Jim ~ [8D]

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-19-2010 01:23 PM

I found one and called ahead, they'll have 2 for me in two hours!

Thanks!

~ Jim ~ [8D]

Joystick TX 10-19-2010 08:12 PM

I found one and called ahead, they'll have 2 for me in two hours!

Thanks!

~ Jim ~ [8D]
Hey, two hours is up, what happened with the engine start? Did you take time out for a nap or something? At this rate I'll be in a nursing home drooling on my belly before you get that engine dialed in and maiden the GSS.

It's almost my bedtime now, I may have to wait till tomorrow anyway.

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-19-2010 08:23 PM

It RUNS!! New Gas mix, and a new plug. I don't know which it was, I don't care. It's running. I'm at 50:1 now, so I had to retune it for that. Once I got that squared away she sounded really good.

I say I don't care, but I've decided it was the plug, because it kept running perfect until it heated up, then started breaking up. The last time it did the same thing, then it died (causing the crash). But it never did it when it was cool. The last time, when it crashed, that must have been it for that plug, it wouldn't spark under pressure at all after that. If it had been the gas, it would just have run rotten the whole time, it would not have changed as it went.

It shook when it first started up and it shook Mini-me loose in the cockpit, and that canopy is glued down. Let's see how the amazing Jimbo deals with THIS new crisis. It couldn't just start, and then be all ready to go to the field and fly, could it? No, it had to shake the pilot loose.

Crud. :eek:

I have to fix that before I take it and fly it.

Ahh, well, could be worse.

Could be raining.

[sm=49_49.gif]

~ Jim ~

Joystick TX 10-19-2010 08:49 PM

Glad you got the problem solved! The plug makes sense since it would start and then run bad or die after warm up. We should have caught that.

Mine was similar, but my plug would run okay for an entire flight then it had to "rest" overnight.

Maybe we could get Todd to build the plugs from scratch.

Anyway, I may live to hear about the maiden flight - take pictures.

The fire ants are probably using the gas for a BBQ tonight.

PacificNWSkyPilot 10-19-2010 09:29 PM

Bandit is responsible for the maiden flight video...we'll see how good he is. He says he's real good, so we're gonna find out.

All I've got to do is get it up and down in good shape, which sounds do-able...usually. Lordy, if I can't get a Super Sportster of any size up and down without a problem, then I'd better hang up my spurs.

Hanging up your Spurs in San Antonio not something one does lightly......

I think I smell gassy little wienies roasting....

~ Jim ~[sm=49_49.gif]

Mike Miller 10-20-2010 11:00 AM

Glad to hear that she is alive once again.

Theres something about making that maiden flight that appeals to me. Perhaps its the thrill and the build up of getting everything ready, making sure that you have checked everything twice. I certainly remember a few that were white nuckle time!

Good luck, it sounds like you are prepaired well enough to have fun with it. The weather of late has been just simply wonderful here in Oklahoma. I keep expecting to wake up to winter time, but so far we are having a truly gentle and enjoyable fall. Hope it's the same down south of me.[8D]

Now I can relax that you don't have to hang up your spurs!

Mike