RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

JohnB96041 04-19-2012 05:56 AM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Anyone know is Todd has modified the muffler on the new production engines? Problem may be solved if he has changed something.

JohnB96041 04-19-2012 05:58 AM

Guess I am one of the lucky ones. Original muffler, not loose, has never been taken off.

Joystick TX 05-03-2012 12:00 PM

It sure has been quiet on the forums lately. Is anyone flying?

I got in a few flights early this morning before it got to hot and windy. Nothing came loose, broke, fell off or wore out, so it was a good day.

JohnB96041 05-03-2012 12:03 PM

Same here. When all is going well, it is hard to take the time to post comments. I do read those that do post, but have been flying. Everything working great. Now the wind is coming up, so am grounded for the rest of the day.

mmlong 05-09-2012 12:07 PM

Joystick is that muffler still tight? I'm thinking about doing the mod. I took my Slick to our vacation place in Delaware and forgot my charger. I came home thinking I'll be going back soon, so I left the plane there. What a mistake. I couldn't test my last change. Hope to get there soon and fly it. If it comes loose, your change will be made.

Joystick TX 05-09-2012 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: mmlong

Joystick is that muffler still tight? I'm thinking about doing the mod. I took my Slick to our vacation place in Delaware and forgot my charger. I came home thinking I'll be going back soon, so I left the plane there. What a mistake. I couldn't test my last change. Hope to get there soon and fly it. If it comes loose, your change will be made.
It is rock solid after several gallons of fuel and many flights. I hope some others make the mod to see if it works as well on other aircraft installations.

Beej 05-10-2012 01:17 AM

Hi Again!

Good news - have another SAP 180. Slight bad news - new out of the box it wouldnt pump gas with hand flipping and/or rocking as per instructions (choke closed, throttle in various positions). After exhausting my shoulder joint - Hit it with the electric starter - starts straight away (no choke, low throttle). After that - one flip hand starts (4 flights - runs fine). Next day - same deal. I didnt drain the tank. Just tried it again now - same deal. I had to bend the lug on the choke plate a little to get the linkages set up but the plate itself seems flat against the carb when the choke is in the the closed position. My friend google says that some times walbro carbs are hard to prime/wet and there may be some fiddling with membranes/needles required even straight out of the box.

Advice? Is it the choke plate somehow? Is it the carb? Is it something else? I dont want to go fiddling with the carb from new - they look complicated!

Thank you

Beej

w8ye 05-10-2012 02:50 AM

One of the check valve flaps in the carb pump is curled. when it gets wet with gasoline it seats perfectly.

Beej 05-10-2012 02:59 AM

Thanks w8ye,

Is this a permanent condition that will only be fixed by a new part, or will it eventually seat as the engine is run in?

cheers,

Beej

ORIGINAL: w8ye

One of the check valve flaps in the carb pump is curled. when it gets wet with gasoline it seats perfectly.

w8ye 05-10-2012 04:04 AM

I would consider putting a new pump diaphragm in the carburetor. It uses the WAT style kit.

opjose 05-10-2012 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Beej

Hi Again!

Good news - have another SAP 180. Slight bad news - new out of the box it wouldnt pump gas with hand flipping and/or rocking as per instructions (choke closed, throttle in various positions). After exhausting my shoulder joint - Hit it with the electric starter - starts straight away (no choke, low throttle). After that - one flip hand starts (4 flights - runs fine). Next day - same deal. I didnt drain the tank. Just tried it again now - same deal.

While w8ye's suggestion is a good one... It's likely that nothing is wrong....

Your fuel lines are draining or filling with air when the plane is not in use, and flipping or rocking can take a LOOONG time to pull up fuel if at all ( dependant upon your plumbing... )

However once fuel hits the carb and the pump is primed, rocking is sufficent to pull more fuel in.

Your engine starts "right away" once run and you didn't state having any running problems or in flight problems.

If you can maintain vertical flight, it's doubtful there's anything wrong with the pump... it IS pumping fuel.

Don't fix what may not be broken.

Joystick TX 05-10-2012 09:48 AM

Just in case you need or want to replace the carb parts, a good source for the carb repair kit is your local lawn mower repair shop. They can also help you pick the right diaphram for the fuel you are using; sometimes there are a bunch in the kit, black, blue and white, and it is easy to get confused.

Beej 05-10-2012 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: Beej

Hi Again!

Good news - have another SAP 180. Slight bad news - new out of the box it wouldnt pump gas with hand flipping and/or rocking as per instructions (choke closed, throttle in various positions). After exhausting my shoulder joint - Hit it with the electric starter - starts straight away (no choke, low throttle). After that - one flip hand starts (4 flights - runs fine). Next day - same deal. I didnt drain the tank. Just tried it again now - same deal.
Hi - whilst it is true that the engine is very solid on uplines (only had around 12 flights so far and havent fiddled with the needles yet), nonetheless it will not pump prime - even if I flip/rock it it 100s (literally) of times. Cant get a "bump" out of it at all. I can see the fuel in the line and it hasn't drained away from the carb in between days. Since it fires straight away with the electric starter I am also wondering about the possibility my choke plate isn't really sitting flat (as well as the possibility suggested by w8ye). On the other hand, maybe Ill just resign myself to taking my starter with me to the field each time.... it's really only a nuisance value problem since it "shouldnt" really be this way.... The point, after all, is to fly!

Thanks for all of the constructive comment.

Beej

While w8ye's suggestion is a good one... It's likely that nothing is wrong....

Your fuel lines are draining or filling with air when the plane is not in use, and flipping or rocking can take a LOOONG time to pull up fuel if at all ( dependant upon your plumbing... )

However once fuel hits the carb and the pump is primed, rocking is sufficent to pull more fuel in.

Your engine starts ''right away'' once run and you didn't state having any running problems or in flight problems.

If you can maintain vertical flight, it's doubtful there's anything wrong with the pump... it IS pumping fuel.

Don't fix what may not be broken.

MsgtRob 05-12-2012 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

It sure has been quiet on the forums lately. Is anyone flying?

I got in a few flights early this morning before it got to hot and windy. Nothing came loose, broke, fell off or wore out, so it was a good day.

Another few more flights in today with the modified muffler, still tight. Hopefully it stays that way.

Rob

AJsToyz 05-12-2012 12:31 PM

Rob,

When did you mod your muffler and how many flights total? Roughly?

Thanks!

Andy

MsgtRob 05-12-2012 09:47 PM

Just over a week ago, and have two tank s through it. (4-5 flights) I had some other issues to work out on the plane so didn't fly as much as I could have. The muffler was loose prior to mod and would usually loosen up after 4-5 flights. It's still tight now. If it stays tight, I'll mod the other two.

[email protected] 05-13-2012 05:06 AM

ITS SO NICE TO SEE SOMETHING MADE IN AMERICA HOPE YOU WILL MAKE AROUND LIKE A 15CC ILL GET ONE>>>>> GO AMERICAN EVERYONE

hobby_man 05-16-2012 09:28 AM

any one know what this motor's cylinder head temp should be? 250F 300F ???

I am turning a 18-6 prop 2400 rpm, should I see a big rpm drop when I go to a 18-10

I had a typo here the rpm is 8400

opjose 05-16-2012 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: hobby_man

any one know what this motor's cylinder head temp should be? 250F 300F ???

I am turning a 18-6 prop 2400 rpm, should I see a big rpm drop when I go to a 18-10
I haven't measured head temp.

With an 18-6 wood prop I'm turning 7800+ RPM or more on a new engine.

I expect it to do better after it is broken in and I drop the oil percentage a bit.

I would expect you to see a QUITE substantial drop in RPM's with the 18x10 prop.

If I throw the numbers into ThrustHP I'm getting ( remember this is static testing, so you get better results in the air ).

18x6 @ 7800 RPM = 2.135 HP Projected airspeed 44 MPH

Using the HP figure and shooting for similiar numbers I get....

18x10 @ 6600 RPM = 2.156 HP Projected airspeed 62 MPH - Projected.

Your results might be better ( I am getting RPM's above 7800 after all ) but given the above you'll see a big RPM drop.

hobby_man 05-17-2012 06:12 AM

thanks, I will post my rpm when I find out

Slow and Steady 05-17-2012 09:29 AM

My understanding is the temperature should be between 180 and 230. Under 180 and you may get carbon build up. Over 230 and heat damage may occur. But Todd may want to chime in.

opjose 05-17-2012 11:59 AM

thanks, I will post my rpm when I find out
PLEASE do I'm curious as to how well ThrustHP's prediction comes out.

hobby_man 05-17-2012 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

My understanding is the temperature should be between 180 and 230. Under 180 and you may get carbon build up. Over 230 and heat damage may occur. But Todd may want to chime in.

I am seeing 240F per the telemetry unit on my DX8

opjose 05-17-2012 01:11 PM

Measured where if I may ask?

At the base of the spark plug?

hobby_man 05-18-2012 05:36 AM

ORIGINAL: opjose

Measured where if I may ask?

At the base of the spark plug?

the thermal wire is wrapped around the c/l of the head, about 1.5 inches below the spark plug, contacted against the jug itself, not the fins. I wish they made a unit in a spark plug washer, like the units on the 70's era snowmobile head temp gages