RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

AJsToyz 10-01-2009 08:20 AM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I'm not going to comment on the shipping thing, but Todd can sit down and get tach readings, show him flying 3D or try to get people there engines ?

PlaneKrazee 10-01-2009 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I'm not going to comment on the shipping thing, but Todd can sit down and get tach readings, show him flying 3D or try to get people there engines ?
Since Todd is waiting to get parts to build the engines and can't assemble anything until he get the parts it seems he would have the time to take an hour out of his alloted assembly time to run the hand fit PROTOTYPE engine, take the readings and post a video of the results.

Syssa Aircraft 10-01-2009 08:53 AM

I wish there was nothing to do but wait around for parts...ask my wife about the hours we have put in the last few months.
I'll get a video as soon as I can...

I apologize for the wait for the engines getting out...there are a few things I did not plan on waiting for based on delivery schedules from vendors...I cannot finish engines until I get my parts back from them. Never did I think we would have been delayed this long...and for that I do apologize...

The backplates are anodized as well. There is not just one part on this that is anodized. There is good reason to anodize when necessary.

Of course there are tolerancing issues with anodizing. That, for me, is not a problem as I designed around the parts being anodized and you can control the anodized layer...also you are talking tenths of a thousandth of an inch...which does matter on things like bearing bores.

hobbit 10-01-2009 09:54 AM

2 planekrazee
why are you so angry? as i understand most of those who ordered engines are members of rcuniverse and for sure they will give a lot of information sooner or later. the engine was demonstrated on a plane at the exhibition to wide audience. more over, as i understand some luckies (probably) have visited Todd's shop.
Todd is interested in sending engines to us not less than we are.

AJsToyz 10-01-2009 10:11 AM

Sorry, I'd rather see him working !!:D Ok Todd, off the computer and get back to work!!

Andy

Spdstr280Z 10-01-2009 10:28 AM

PlaneKrazee seems to have known about this engine for longer than many of us, and seems to have been under the impression that it was almost ready to go back then, a year or two ago. If you have been waiting that long, and seeing some things in this hobby promised and not come to fruition like expected, I think he is playing the part of the skeptic.

I'm not real happy about the delays either, primarily because I was under the impression that orders were not going to be accepted until the product was ready to ship. At the time I placed my order I was quoted 2 1/2 weeks, which I assumed was production lead time, so yes, I am disappointing that things were obviously not as far along as I believed, that I was unable to fly one of my favorite planes at a major fly-in because I was assured that I would have my engine and I did not pursue other options, and because I was charged for something over a month ago that I still don't have. I too am a little weary of "shipping in a couple of days" for the last couple of weeks.

All of these are good reasons to be a little bothered, and PlaneKrazee has some good points and questions, but his tone goes a little too far toward ball busting for my tastes.

Now, after all that, you know what, I have seen this thing run, I have seen it fly, I have held it, spun it and lusted over it. I wanted to make a deposit on the spot. I also have friends in this and other businesses who deal with suppliers and manufacturing, and these delays do happen. I even asked Chief about a DA-85 at a recent event and was told they can't get them out of DA, so everybody has delays and issues.

Do I want my engine, YES and I want it soon enough to enjoy the fall flying season with it, but I'm not going to get all that upset over it, this is a hobby I use to relax. If it goes too long for me, I will call Todd and ask to cancel the order and for a refund. I would continue to watch the thread for developments, but I wouldn't bother to constantly give the manufacturer crap.

One nice thing about this hobby is we have choices, and there are other choices popping up in this size range now. If you can't wait for this engine, or are skeptical on performance claims and can't handle that he will not take the time to do a video of some tach numbers (not an unreasonable request, I agree), then go buy something else and leave us in peace.

Just my opinions....

SunShyne 10-01-2009 10:38 AM

Had a nice conversation with Todd last night, the man is a working machine! I know he has gone through a lot to get these gems to market and a few glitches here are there are only expected so I am not worried. I got my payment in and will wait patiently for mine.

ill be sure to do a mini review here on RCU and post lots of pics as well :)

matt

AJsToyz 10-01-2009 10:54 AM

Maybe I'm lucky I don't have the cash yet and its cold over here, I can wait though. I'm thinking a Baby Edge with the SAP 180 , that will probably be the tick et for me. The funny thing about that is I can't get dimensions from Wild Hare as to the stands offs, no planes. Its not in the manual either I already checked. Sunshine, we will be looking forward to your comments !!

Andy

hairy46 10-01-2009 12:57 PM

My part time job has always been cleaning carpets 40 years now!, When I leave the house or place of work it has to be right! If it not it will cost me by word of mouth money! I do my absulute best so that it will get out, I do not avertise my work and reputation keep me working. If it does not feel right to me it will not fly with the people that hire me. I do my best even if it takes much more time for the same money! Todd has a job to do and that is to put out the best engine he can, if he does not how long do you think it will take to get it out on RCU or at the field with word of mouth? Todd has to have them right right off the bat or he is sunk right of the bat! I know he is sweating bullets right now with shipping time, but I know he is wanting to send out a product that will be a home run to us and him! The best art is that that comes out of getting the details right in the painting not throwing paint on a canvas and calling it art! Thanks to carpet cleaning I had two cents to give! Bob

PlaneKrazee 10-01-2009 03:21 PM

It looks like I have generated more SAP support.:D Good for Todd.

If Todd is waiting to press bearings as stated in an earlier post, I would assume it's not the back plate he's waiting for. It's misdirection which feeds my scepticism.

Trying to get it perfect is not causing the holdup, he doesn't have all the parts to build the engines.

Spdstr280Z 10-01-2009 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

It looks like I have generated more SAP support.:D Good for Todd.

If Todd is waiting to press bearings as stated in an earlier post, I would assume it's not the back plate he's waiting for. It's misdirection like that which feeds my scepticism.

It just seems you are looking too hard for things to criticize. Not taking some video and tach readings for potential customers, I will give you that, seems like a simple thing to do. Constant "will ship any day now", when in hindsight there were bigger things still in the pipeline, shouldn't have been done, no. Charging before shipping the product, eh, I don't like it, but it seems almost industry standard with the smaller shops.

In this case he was just responding, to you I think, not misdirecting you, that more than the crankcase is anodized, the backplate is too. But the big issue is that he needs to receive crankcases back before he can press bearings, that's the critical path. But yes, some misdirection has occurred it seems over what tasks remained.

Anyway, not trying to be difficult, there are a few things to criticize yes, but it seems you are going out of your way to bust the guys balls while he seems to be going out of his way to being a quality product to market.

Jason

hobbit 10-02-2009 12:06 AM

PLaneKrazee,
sometimes the best help for someone would be if no one would disturb him. we all surely could complain about the delay and even ask for money back. but for 100% it wil not help to push product to market earlier. in this case Todd would have to work as an accountant which, i hope, he is not:)

seems you criticise just for fun.

i just wonder about the figures that i received with a receipt- order #298. what does it mean? have some idea but do not want to support Planecrazee:)

still keep fingers crossed:)

RC11 10-02-2009 08:08 AM

There are those whose purpose in life just seems to be to to muck things up and be synical. They infiltrate every faccet of our lives even down to RCU threads. To mention any names would just be plain crazy!
RC

captinjohn 10-02-2009 09:03 AM

I have been reading this thread. All of the black and white key-strokes mean nothing. It is said a photo is worth a thousand words. Maybe whoever has the talent of taking a couple of photos of the new Syssa 30cc engine/and or the parts all lined up...may help. Words...not good as photos. My 2 cents Capt,n[X(]

Super08 10-02-2009 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: RC11

There are those whose purpose in life just seems to be to to muck things up and be synical. They infiltrate every faccet of our lives even down to RCU threads. To mention any names would just be plain crazy!
RC
:D Lmao :):) I don't care what anyone thinks, but THAT is funny!!!

ispirit99 10-02-2009 09:52 AM

<span style="font-size: larger">Been reading this thread waiting for the explosion. Cracked me up when Super08 "Got her Dunn". What a well crafted comment!</span></p>

captinjohn 10-02-2009 10:11 AM

Explosion??? There is no explosion, and do not want one. Looking for a explosion is kinda...well bad taste. I was just sugesting what may help...simple photos of anything Syssa![sm=idea.gif] Capt,n

Syssa Aircraft 10-02-2009 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
its funny that the capt said that....actually...I just snapped a few quick photos...(dont worry only took 3 minutes) I did not even scale them down...so I hope they post ok here...

what you see is a few cylinders with pistons in them ready to be mounted as well as a few rear plate assemblies with carbs ready to go..
you will also see the start of the next group of 500 crankcases being machined now. Almost there. We hope to start running engines and packaging them later today...and working through the weekend to get them out.

JNorton 10-02-2009 10:48 AM

Sweet

w8ye 10-02-2009 10:54 AM

Looking real good

Scooterpilot 10-02-2009 11:20 AM

Looks like it's time to start building the Funtana 125 and get it ready for the engine. :D

1932 10-02-2009 11:23 AM

Thanks very much TODD for the engine pics!!!!
Man they do look worth the time!!
And a pic is worth more than words.
Thanks
Tom P

captinjohn 10-02-2009 11:33 AM

Thanks Todd, now notice the responses are like they should be...positive. I know things do not go as simple as planned, take a look at your own personal happenings in just one day folks. Keep things positive if you can. I am sure this American built engine will be a very good one. Capt,n;)

ispirit99 10-02-2009 11:53 AM

<span style="font-size: larger">Glad to see Todd get cut some slack. He's one guy with a dream and so close to the finish line. In true Olympic style let's cheer The American Dream across the finish line together! Nuff said.</span></p>

Tony Gag Jr. 10-02-2009 12:26 PM

Looks really sweet Todd!!!!

Tony