RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

Gungadin 03-07-2010 08:20 PM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Been running the A123 batteries for almost two years now. No regulator needed and 15 min. charge time. Fly 4-5 flights, and re-charge at the field in 15 min. Simple is good. My experience has been very good with almost 200 flights on two different airplanes. My new Syssa/Focus combo will have them also. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Spdstr280Z 03-07-2010 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I believe the ''S'' on the Vess prop stands for Sport.
That's right, the smaller Vess props are "sport" props and are not on the same "A B C" system of the larger ones.

Jason

w8ye 03-07-2010 09:35 PM

19" is the beginning of the ABC pitch designations

PacificNWSkyPilot 03-07-2010 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

We have a backplate already in development all machined out of 6000 series aluminum that will do exactly what some need in tight spots where the washers are too close to the sides of the firewall. Also, we have higher strength steel, plated washers to replace the stainless ones. Anyone that has the stainless ones, please email and we'll send out the steel washers right away no charge. The triangular backing plates are very light (at home now, not at the shop, so I cannot weigh it).

I actually got a few flights in this weekend. It was more than 10 degrees here for once, but the wind was still 13 mph...still more fun than looking at Yak on the shelf. Maybe the Mustang with the SAP-180HP in it will fly in a week or two...of course I do not have time to work on it, but my dad can finish it up hopefully!
Todd,

Any luck at all and your Dad will be reading this and start thinking Mustang....

Todd, I would like to know about the triangular backplate. I'm very interested. Sounds like you already knew about the stainless washers and were already ahead of the curve, that's great. I think I'm okay with the Home depot washers I bought, but I'll E-Mail you anyway. I never did mail you to get my smoke gaskets that were missing, too many other things to do and it slipped my mind. So I'll mail you for both at the same time.

~ Jim ~

pgmeyer 03-07-2010 11:17 PM

Jim and brothers,
I ran my Syssa bolted up to the monocoup and ran in to the exact same problem Jim experienced! When I ran the engine the first time, the bolts just walked out of the mounts. I pulled everything apart and added plenty of blue locktight but it seemed to rub off as I inserted the bolts into the firewall holes. Gary, can you send me that NordLock kit you were talking about? I never had this happen before. If the standoffs are tapped all the way through, I will use longer 8/32 screws with more locktight covering a deeper section of threads. I have REDONE the blue locktight again and will run the engine before my departure for Texas. Maybe I will get some time before I leave to get longer 8/32 socket cap screws. I may have to use the red locktight and leave the screws protruding from the firewall before it is applied. In any case, be forwarned: this engine must be checked more than once for good, tight mounts before flying !!!!

By the way, the break in tank on the monocoup lasted about a half an hour with varying throttle use :-)
I am running dual 2300mah A123s from NOBS batteries, with the IBEC from Syssa and they showed only a modest depletion from the run -

Paul

GLRogers 03-08-2010 05:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

If it ain't broke.....

Now, what Rx/servo batteries are you all using? Has anyone tried the new LiFe batteries yet? I like the light weight and 6.6 volts, and 3200mAh should be enough to power up 5 Hitec 7955's I would think.<br type=''_moz'' />
I am converting all my planes to A123's (LiFe). Easiest to charge, no drain on the shelf, voltage range is most consistant, highest c rating, no regulator needed for most receivers only need to step down for ignition. Not using regulator for DA ignitions. Have a 35% with 8 7955's with no issue. Have been using them for about a year now. Lost one plane to a false peak on a NIMH 2300 mah load tested 5.13 after full charge read 4.0 v after 8 minutes in air. My new standard is dual A123's to Receiver with IBEC to ignition using Zues that has regulator built in. After loosing a plane to NIMH, I like the idea of redundancy.

PacificNWSkyPilot 03-08-2010 05:58 AM

Hi Paul,

I'll PM you with my Cell number and we can talk about our findings. It's good that we're getting these speedbumps out of the way before doing our flights together.

I'll tell you how I got my RED LockTite into the threads of the standoffs, I simply removed them, one at a time, letting the other two support the engine, and put a drop or two into the holes and used a small allen wrench to run the Red liquid down into the threads. Which, by the way, do NOT go all the way through, but are fairly deep... And then I flexed the engine towards the other two just a little and slid the standoff back into place. I also used lock washers on both bolts this time and I used heavy washers behind the firewall.

Please let me know who has the Nordlock system available, I'd also like to contact them and make sure I have them here....just in case.

~ Jim ~

PlaneKrazee 03-08-2010 06:52 AM

Microfasteners sells Dynalock cam locking washers. They work great on exhausts too. Not cheap, but you don't need locktite.

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...cts/WASDLW.cfm

WWIIP38 03-08-2010 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my choke set up. A little different (but simple) solution. Used kevlar (pull-pull) cord and routed through the muffler extension clamp (safety wire).

WWIIP38 03-08-2010 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For R/C engine bolts (gas & glow) that have a tendency to vibrate loose, I have found that Loctite 620 works the best. When using thread locking compound it is usually recommended to allow the thread locker to 'cure' for at least 24 hours.

PlaneKrazee 03-09-2010 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Micro fasteners price is 1/3 that of any I have found online and are Nordlock.

They are great for all high heat/vibration installations. No Locktite required and they are reusable. Add these to Holo-Krome fasteners and you have the best fastening system made.

http://www.microfasteners.com/catalo...cts/WASDLW.cfm

Joystick TX 03-09-2010 08:29 PM

I finally had time to start my engine today. When I went to mix the oil with the gas (the engine manual says to use non-synthetic at 40:1 for the first 15 min.) all the oil I had on hand was synthetic.

Went to mower shops, car parts places like O'Reilly's and NAPA, Home Depot, gas stations, etc. and could not find any non-synthetic oil. I did find one for water cooled engines, I'm not sure that would work as well with the high temps in the air cooled engines.

Has anyone else had this problem?

PlaneKrazee 03-09-2010 09:07 PM

I've read Advanced Auto stocks Penzoil Air cooled, which is what you want. Otherwise call Todd and ask him if it's ok to run Stihl Ultra synthetic.

cmoulder 03-09-2010 09:14 PM

Lawnboy ashless at Lowe's and Home Depot, perhaps...

oilstore.com online for Pennzoil

amsoil.com for the cartons with the 1.5 oz packets of Sabre Pro when you switch to syn

Also check Bel-Ray and Red Line syn

I think Todd recommends Amsoil Saber Pro 85:1

PacificNWSkyPilot 03-09-2010 11:37 PM

Pennzoil 2-stroke oil is usually available at every convenient market in their little oil display inside. That stuff should do it for you.

Jim

Outlw36 03-10-2010 12:23 AM

Started on the 3rd gallon in mine today. Need to put a filtered clunk in my tank. Had to pull the carb due to the inlet needle sticking open. Didn't find any debris in it but was back to normal after reassembly.

cmoulder 03-10-2010 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Outlw36

Started on the 3rd gallon in mine today. Need to put a filtered clunk in my tank. Had to pull the carb due to the inlet needle sticking open. Didn't find any debris in it but was back to normal after reassembly.
A filter is a good idea. IMHO the best place to put it is between the fill-line "T" and the engine (in a 2-line system), which ensures that ANY debris - whether from the fuel supply or the fuel tank (possibly sucked into the vent) - is filtered before it gets to the engine.

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=9&I=LXD742]Dubro Final Filter[/link] is gasoline compatible.

PacificNWSkyPilot 03-10-2010 07:40 AM

Outlw 36,

Cmoulder is right, the filter should be in the line close to the engine, after the filler or any Tees you have, to make sure everything going into the engine is filtered. Your LHS should have a pretty good assortment in the hardware racks, if you have a LHS, of course.

Joystick TX,

You're from Texas too, so just go to a local Valero gas station, they'll have Pennzoil right there on the shelf. About 4 or 5 bucks for a quart bottle.

Funny thing is I had a hard time finding the Synthetic I was looking for ( I'm from up north, so I've always used Stihl oil. ). I did find a good local source, after some searching I located a tractor dealership that carries it.. Stihl offers both a mix of synthetic/non-synthetic and a fully synthetic oil. I started with the mix. Since I'm not concerned with "Ultimate RPM's" like some of the guys (this engine has GOBS of power...), I'll run out these two gallons of the mix, and then move on to mixing with my fully synthetic.

This engine idles better and slower than any other gasser I've ever had, and it's nowhere near being fully broken in. Because I'm running the richer break-in mix, it will load up at extended idle, but so far it doesn't die unless I accelerate too quickly. So I keep the idle a tad higher and don't get throttle-happy...

I've already started looking at models I can put a second Syssa into.

Jim

ghoffman 03-10-2010 08:17 AM

I got some of the Pennzoil at the local Aubuchon hardware store. They have many choices in 2 cycle oil, cheap too!

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...cycle-oil.aspx
<br type="_moz" />

PlaneKrazee 03-10-2010 08:37 AM

I didn't see any air cooled Pennzoil on the website. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

PacificNWSkyPilot 03-10-2010 08:41 AM

Air cooled? The only 2-stroke I've ever known that was water-cooled as a 380T Suzuki motorcycle and a Suzuki 750 Motorcycle, both from 25 years ago. And Outboard motor oils are clearly marked for that use.

I'm positive there were others, but my point is that that VAST majority of 2-strokes are air air-cooled.

Jim

ghoffman 03-10-2010 08:44 AM

They had it on the shelf when I was at the store. For my weedeater, leaf blower, and chainsaw, I use the Briggs and Stratton 2-cycle oil. To be honest, I bought it and use it for a very non-technical reason, I like the easy ratio mix bottle!

PacificNWSkyPilot 03-10-2010 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

They had it on the shelf when I was at the store. For my weedeater, leaf blower, and chainsaw, I use the Briggs and Stratton 2-cycle oil. To be honest, I bought it and use it for a very non-technical reason, I like the easy ratio mix bottle!
Guilty as charged. Same thing with the Stihl oil! "This bottle mixes 2.5 gallons at XX:X ratio.." "This bottle mixes one gallon at XX:X ratio..." I LOVE those 1-gallon mix bottles. BLOOP...and DONE....;)

Jim

AJsToyz 03-10-2010 04:48 PM

Jim,

That wasn't the "Water Buffalo" you are talking about is it ??

Andy

Tseres 03-10-2010 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Jim,

That wasn't the ''Water Buffalo'' you are talking about is it ??

Andy
No, the Water Buffalo was a 750 triple Water cooled. 380 GT was an air cooled twin.
Man I dont believe I can remember back that far.[sm=lol.gif]

AJsToyz 03-10-2010 07:22 PM

Hi Tom!

I had a WB and it was a pig!! LOL I do wonder what it would have run like though if you took the stock pipes off and put some modern ones on. ;)

Andy

MsgtRob 03-10-2010 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Air cooled? The only 2-stroke I've ever known that was water-cooled as a 380T Suzuki motorcycle and a Suzuki 750 Motorcycle, both from 25 years ago. And Outboard motor oils are clearly marked for that use.

I'm positive there were others, but my point is that that VAST majority of 2-strokes are air air-cooled.

Jim
I had a 1985 Honda 250R ATC water cooled 2 stroke. 70 mph on a tricycle was sick!

Still waiting for my engine but hey, that's expected with Syssa. The funny thing is, with the bad hub key, I ended up waiting three months for the motor anyway.

Joystick TX 03-10-2010 11:02 PM

I went to a motorcycle and ATV shop, store #12 on my list, on the way to work this morning and I bought a bottle of Yamalube 2R, which the dealer said was non-synthetic. The bottle has no "synthetic" or "non-synthetic" markings.

When I got home and checked the Yamaha website it says it has a "special base stock to protect from wear and breakdown" and "special synthetic additives to reduce carbon and deposit buildup." Now I am not sure if it is really "non-synthetic."

I have also heard that if the oil is not marked "synthetic" it is "non-synthetic."
Wall-Mart has Pennzoil SuperTech which is a TCW-3 oil and it is not good for air cooled 2 strokes.

Will try to find a Valero Gas station tomorrow and see if they have the Pennzoil air cooled 2 stroke oil.

You would think I would be an oil expert, we have a few barrels of it here in Texas.

Thanks for all the help.

PacificNWSkyPilot 03-10-2010 11:11 PM

Hey Andy,

Yes, the 750 I mentioned above was the water Buffalo, the 380 was a T so I guess it would have been a twin. Tseres was right, the 380 was air-cooled. I had the Kawasaki 750 triple 2-stroke, then the Z900 was my first 4-stroke ride. Went to Honda when their CB900 Custom came out shaft drive and water-cooled. Kept that one for 23 years. Now my kness are no longer good enough to ride.

Anyway, just saying that other than the aptly-named Water Buffalo and a few others, it's only outboards and the outboard 2-stroke oil is clearly labeled as such.

Joystick,

Special Base Stock is regular oil, I think you're gonna find. That one sounds like a mix, which is okay for break-in.

Jim

Joystick TX 03-10-2010 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

I had a 1985 Honda 250R ATC water cooled 2 stroke. 70 mph on a tricycle was sick!

Still waiting for my engine but hey, that's expected with Syssa. The funny thing is, with the bad hub key, I ended up waiting three months for the motor anyway.
I thought you had your engine back and were too busy flying to post anything, no wonder things have been so quiet. You may get your engine and wear it out before I find my break in oil.

I am in no big rush right now, the weather reports are for winds 15 to 20 for the next few days, that means 35 to 60 at the flying field. The wife said we peaked at 55 today with some rain thrown in for good measure.

MsgtRob 03-11-2010 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

I thought you had your engine back and were too busy flying to post anything, no wonder things have been so quiet. You may get your engine and wear it out before I find my break in oil.

I am in no big rush right now, the weather reports are for winds 15 to 20 for the next few days, that means 35 to 60 at the flying field. The wife said we peaked at 55 today with some rain thrown in for good measure.
We've had a few WINDY days here too, but the weekend is supposed to be perfect.
My engine was promised by last Friday, and again by Today. Some will think this is Great customer service. I'd agree if It was anything other than a manufacturing defect.
We'll see if it arrives today.

juanes1969 03-11-2010 09:54 AM

Hello everyone, I just read this whole thread and last monday I placed an order for two of these engines for a project I have. I wanted to ask, I have two bolly 18x6 props in my shop, I didn´t buy any other props for the engines besides the two bielas 16x10, 3 blades that the plane is going to use (Bf-110 zerstorer) Do you guys think the bolly props are too much load for an engine? .... let me re-frase that, do you think a bolly prop is more load than a vess/xoar prop of the same size and pitch?

The two Syssa 30´s will probably be too much power for this plane, I´ll just have to throttle manage the flights, but I´ve seen some cheaper engines (RCS-SV, DLE, DL and 3mmTOC) in our field and besides not performing very good the people that have them have had all sorts of problems. When I saw the Syssa engines, the quality they show and the fact they´re made in the U.S. I had no doubt these were te ones I needed!. Besides, Todd is a great guy to deal with.

Let me know your thought about these bolly props or if I should look for something different.

Thanks,
JC

Truckracer 03-11-2010 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: juanes1969

Let me know your thought about these bolly props or if I should look for something different.

Thanks,
JC
Bolly wood or carbon fiber?

juanes1969 03-11-2010 11:38 AM

Bolly wood.

Truckracer 03-11-2010 12:31 PM

Bolly wood props appear to be the same props (probably made in the same factory) as Xoar and several other brands. The 18-6 should be just fine on the engine though the engine would probably tolerate a wide range of props, both larger and smaller. I've only flown the Syssa engine with a 18-6 Xoar because thats what I had on hand when I flew it last fall. Time may prove the engine wants something different but first impressions with the 18-6 were good.

juanes1969 03-11-2010 12:42 PM

Thanks Truckracer! I´ll post here when I receive the engines and test them on the plane

Bpar4 03-11-2010 07:08 PM

All, Finally got my SHP into the air on a QQ 73" Yak. Trying to break it in, no WOT's etc. with just easy flying. It's taking forever to go through the 1st gal. This engine is very easy on the fuel. Running Penzoil 40:1 (available at Advance & the local 7-11 store). Weight of the plane is 11lbs-4oz RTF. Prop is an 18x6w APC and this combo will pull the plane out of your hands at a little over half throttle. Using a BEC from Valley View with a single Hobbico Life battery for power. A nice setup that uses ~750mah for about 30 minutes of my type of flying. The choke I use is a simple paper clip bent to fit. It pops on and off easily. A big drop of blue Loctite in the standoffs have kept things tight. Here are a few pics.

Bob

Can't post the pics. This form won't let me. Will post them later.

AJsToyz 03-11-2010 07:18 PM

Bob,

Did you name the pics? For some reason if I don't rename or renumber the photo's from my camera they won't upload.

Andy

ghoffman 03-11-2010 07:22 PM

Just get a free photobucket.com account and load them into that. Then just grab the [img] file and cut and paste into this forum.

Bpar4 03-11-2010 07:27 PM

AJ. Ahe attachment button is missing from posting area. Must have a setting wrong.[:o]