RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/)
-   -   SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-engines-142/8862472-syssa-30cc-gas-made-usa.html)

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 08:44 AM

RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I was about to ask who made the switch but I see its an MPI, I like the lights! :D I have mine set up with an A123 6.6V pack with the IBEC that Todd is selling on his website. I'm going to mount the led close to the windshield so its easy to see.

Andy

ghoffman 02-14-2010 08:47 AM

Yes, I wonder what voltage out of Todd's IBEC into the ignition is? The MPI switch is setup for 4.8V but if you cut off a jumper, it then is setup for 6V. I have them on 3 planes.

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Please let us know what happened to make it not start again. I am planning on using a 5 cell, 6V, 700 mah NiCad through the Syssa IBEC. I really like the switches with the 3 LED's that let me know if the internally battery is fully up, marginal or dead:
<span style="" lucida="">http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nes/5170_t.jpg
</span>
You're plugging the IBEC into the Rx, correct? The IBEC gets its power and its optical kill switch capability from the Rx/Rx batts.

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-14-2010 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: MsgtRob

Ran mine today at Ave J,
Started fine, 3 good flights. Then after sitting for 20 minutes, it would not start again. Flipped, choked, purged, no choke, recharge battery, reset low and High needles, removed low and high needles to clean, reste to factory spec, etc...no go.
I packed it up...pulled the engine at home, pulled the plug checked gap, changed ignition battery (could here the click so I know it has spark), cleaned the screen in the walbro, my tank fuel filter, cleared all the lines, checked routing, no leaks...reinstalled everything, will try it again tomorrow.
Oh, and I had lots of fuel...
It did pop twice and throw the undersized prop nut. that was startling! THe weather was awesome but I couldn't get the final flight I was after. Try again tomorrow

I started with 7000 RPM's on the 18 X6 last measured at 7250. Temps on head were 120-150F during break in
I'm sure you'll get it figured out. What battery were you using?

Once in a while, you get a bad ignition module, it is possible that could be it. Sounds suspiciously like it, I have to admit. Do you have another ignition handy to test with?

I use double-jam nuts on my prop hubs, nobody should listen to the old wive's tail that the 2-stroke gassers don't backfire. They backfire upon occasion, and like you said, when they DO backfire, they surprise you, and the prop comes off. I've never been too fond of trying to keep track of a (large) spinning prop that's no longer on the prop shaft!!

Let us know what you find, we'll be interested to hear what it was.

cmoulder 02-14-2010 09:00 AM

Yes, I wonder what voltage out of Todd's IBEC into the ignition is? The MPI switch is setup for 4.8V but if you cut off a jumper, it then is setup for 6V. I have them on 3 planes.
I don't know, but if I recall correctly the ign module is rated for 4.8-6V.

If you are plugging the IBEC into the Rx, you don't need a separate switch for it. On/off is controlled with a Tx switch. All power comes from the Rx batteries. That's the beauty of it - it eliminates the ign battery and switch, and you get optical kill, to boot![sm=thumbup.gif]

ghoffman 02-14-2010 09:04 AM

I still want a hard kill switch for the primary power, plus it is an easy charge port.

cmoulder 02-14-2010 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

I still want a hard kill switch for the primary power, plus it is an easy charge port.
Ok, more of a traditional set-up. But keep in mind that if you turn off Rx power switch, that will also kill the ignition.

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 09:33 AM

I can't find my digital volt meter but my old analog says 5.1 volts.

Andy

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-14-2010 09:45 AM

I'm pretty sure that 4.8 Volts is recommended on the Syssa. It's been a while since I read the manual.

Andy, did you read that manual I just sent you? It might still be fresh in your mind.

ghoffman 02-14-2010 09:50 AM

Ok, I just remembered I had a new JR921 Rx and a spare battery so I just measured it. The battery is input was 6.98Volts, and the output of the Syssa IBEC output into the ignition was 5.97 volts. I am charging up the same battery and will remeasure it again.

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 10:23 AM

It says to use a 4.8v pack, a 1100mah pack good for 5 flights @ 15 min per flight. Does not recommend 6V do to no performance gain and shorter flight time.

Andy

ghoffman 02-14-2010 10:26 AM

I think that 4.8 volts is what the ignition needs, but the servos work better on 6 volts. That is why I opted to pay $55 for the IBEC, so I can have the 6 volt battery and the ignition gets what it needs.
I just retested it, and with 7.24 input to the JR921 Rx, the IBEC output was 5.85 on both Aux 1 and Aux4. Here is what it looks like for those that have not seen it up close yet.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...s/DSC_0051.jpg

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-14-2010 10:27 AM

That was exactly what I remembered. Didn't want to poo-poo the 6Volts unless I was sure, though.

I wonder what a slightly higher Voltage could do to the EI ?

Snap-Crackle-Pop Rice Crispies? Let all the smoke-power out so it doesn't run anymore?

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 10:34 AM

I did the same. I'm running an A123 on the system with the IBEC for the ignition.

Andy

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 10:49 AM

One of the other Engine manufacturers was shipping with non-RCEXL ignitions and did not tell anyone. People were running 6V 5 cell packs and Poof !! Its to bad because no one had a clue.

Andy

Gungadin 02-14-2010 11:26 AM

Andy

I also will run my sap180 with A123 batteries and the IBEC. Have you actually run this set up already ?

MsgtRob 02-14-2010 11:37 AM

Thanks all,
I was using a JR 4 cell 1500 Ma for ignition with an opto kill switch. my receiver has it's own 2200 ma 6 volt. 4.8 is definitly the recommended voltage for these.

I'd like to have double nut on the prop but their simply isn't enough shaft to accomodate. My engine back fired twice yesterday while trying hand propping ...threw the nut both times. Fortunatly the prop stayed on the shaft like a windmill. I have another ignition to try (old XYZ 50 cc) Good advice. I could here the plug clicking but maybe it wasn't a strong enough spark or out of time. I even considered the sensor or magnet somehow moved out of time, but quickly ruled that out.

I'll keep you posted. The weather is GREAT!

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 11:58 AM

I have flown a couple planes with the A123's in them and love them! This will be my first IBEC set up, I figured its a Syssa engine, so I'm going with the Syssa IBEC. I'll let you know more when I get a chance.

Andy

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 12:02 PM

MsgtRob,

I hope you get her flying ! Ignition problems are the worst. I did all kinds of stuff then took the ignition off my other plane and it ran perfect. Its not always the case, but yours is acting allot like mine did.

Andy

Hog78 02-14-2010 01:03 PM

I have been running my DL50s ignition(rc-excel same as Syssa's) with a 6 volt regulated li-ion since new. my DA's also the same. as long as you have MAH to spare..

MsgtRob 02-14-2010 01:15 PM

Well, It looks like I'll need to send this back to Todd. Isn't that a B*&^%!

I slaved in a spare rexcel ignition and was able to reproduce exactly the same conditions experienced yesterday at the field. I here the plug click, see the gas flowing and backfire the propnut off. As exciting as this is, I prefer flying. Some of my dirt bike experience makes me think of the reed valves. But 18 Yrs of Jet engine Maintenance tells me look for the simple causes first. I'd hate to ship this back after only one fly day but...what do you think, Todd? Do you recommend I remove the carb, visual inspect the reeds? Any other thoughts for troubleshooting?

Rob

AJsToyz 02-14-2010 01:21 PM

Rob,

Are you dripping any fuel out the back of the carb ??

rlytle 02-14-2010 01:41 PM

Well, It looks like I'll need to send this back to Todd. Isn't that a B*&^%!

I slaved in a spare rexcel ignition and was able to reproduce exactly the same conditions experienced yesterday at the field. I here the plug click, see the gas flowing and backfire the propnut off. As exciting as this is, I prefer flying. Some of my dirt bike experience makes me think of the reed valves. But 18 Yrs of Jet engine Maintenance tells me look for the simple causes first. I'd hate to ship this back after only one fly day but...what do you think, Todd? Do you recommend I remove the carb, visual inspect the reeds? Any other thoughts for troubleshooting?

Rob

I had a similar problem on a 26cc gasser. I too was swapping out everything thinking the worst. Then I put in a new NGK plug and walla engine running good again. Hope you didn't overlook the obvious like I did.[8D]

MsgtRob 02-14-2010 02:09 PM

I am dripping fuel after repeated start attempts, That's why I pulled the plug to purge the head, but i had not considered replacing the plug...Good One! That's what I'm talking about overlooking the simple stuff...losing the forest through the trees. But I do here it clicking, and I am able to get the back fire when it sparks. But it's worht a shot.

Rob

Well, that wasn't it either. I replaced the plug..same result.

w8ye 02-14-2010 02:16 PM

Sounds like a problem with the demand regulator in the carb? The needle and seat is not holding

ghoffman 02-14-2010 02:18 PM

Many times a plug will fire at atmospheric pressures, but not at elevated pressure. There was a demo I once saw where you could put fouled spark plug in a chamber and look through a window and it would spark. Then there was a hand pump and as you increased the pressure, the fouled plugs stopped jumping the gap. I dealt with this on my MX bikes as well. Hope it is that simple for you.