Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

SEMPRA Members

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SEMPRA Members

And Duane is right. RPM isn't the tell all story. Maybe a rule (for SEMPRA only) that let's the CD do protest tear downs without the fee having to be put up??
In any contest a fee does not have to put up in order to have an engine checked. It is the responsibility and the duty of the C.D. to ensure rules compliance with both engines and airframes. The C.D. has the authority to perform this duty at any time and his/her own discretion. At the 2005 Nats winning engines were checked after challenges and money was paid. this was totally wrong. Winning engines should have been checked as a matter of course.

If, after processing, all equipment is deemed to be legal and somebody still wishes to make a challenge, then a fee is paid. At the 2005 Nats, a no longer available wood prop was being used. I pointed this out to the CD. I was told to put up the money. I refused. The CD was made ware of a blatant rules violation. He did nothing about it. There was no interpretation of a rule here, it was an obvious violation. The C.D was wrong.

Until such time that we get enforced rules compliance we will always have these arguments. We will also continue to lose competitors who are fed up with the cheaters getting away with it.

Ed S
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Ed,

So the fee is only paid in protest if a competitor is question another competitor, after the contest has begun. But during the morning inspection, and request to tear someone down is free of charge...??

Randy
Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At the 2005 Nats, a no longer available wood prop was being used.
1) Material: Either wood or a chopped-carbon-
fiber filled injection-molded compound with
material and physical properties equivalent or
exceeding that of Ticona Celstran PA6-CF35-15.
These material properties, which shall include tensile
strength and other industry standard properties, must
be equivalent to the above product for temperatures
ranging from 30 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Substitutions of polymers that fall outside these specifications
are not allowed.
2) Dimensions: No limit for wood. Injectionmolded
propellers shall have a diameter, pitch, blade
width, and blade airfoil identical to that of the
approved part numbers at every measurable station.
3) Availability, modification: Wood propellers
may be modified. Injection-molded propellers
shall be commercially available
and stock except for
balancing, etc. as permitted by paragraph 7.5.2.
under “General Model Aircraft Requirements.â€
4) Prior approval: APC part numbers in the
family LP07XXXC, where “X†signifies the three
numbers indicating diameter and pitch only, are
approved. Approval is considered temporary and
continued approval requires the manufacturer,
Landing Products, to inform the Chairman of the
Contest Board when propeller material or dimensional
specifications change, causing potential
changes in performance. The Chairman is then
required to determine if propeller performance still
conforms to the rules, and inform Landing Products
of continued approval. The chairman shall have 60
days to make his determination.
5) Eligibility for competition: A propeller
once approved shall be eligible for competition
aslong as it remains commercially available
, as
defined in Section 2, “Defined Terms.â€

I don't know Ed, once again you seem to have found a weakness in how the rules are written. To me it would appear that it only applies to APC props, since the wood prop may be modified by the contestant and never needed approval in the first place. Did this apply to someone using a CNC mill to carve a wood prop, or someone using an old Rev-Up that was carved down by hand?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:51 AM
daven

I belive it was a Rev UP prop. Not sure if it was reworked or not.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 AM
daven

I have a couple CNC milled wood quickie props I'd love to use
Old 10-13-2006, 10:04 AM
HighPlains

There was never a Rev-UP prop made specificly for Q40, so it would have to be reworked. They were all reworked for Formula One, since the stock diameter was either 8 3/4" (this is where that number now used in quickie came from) or 9". These were always clipped down as a starting point to around 8 1/4" for F1.

As far as quickie goes, a wood prop only needs 8 1/2" diameter Dave. But I think they do have to be commerically available, which is a very low bar to jump.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:29 AM
daven

I'm as guilty as anyone, but lets get this topic back on track in regards to Sempra.

thanks,
Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 AM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

At the 2005 Nats, a no longer available wood prop was being used.

I don't know Ed, once again you seem to have found a weakness in how the rules are written. To me it would appear that it only applies to APC props, since the wood prop may be modified by the contestant and never needed approval in the first place. Did this apply to someone using a CNC mill to carve a wood prop, or someone using an old Rev-Up that was carved down by hand?
HighPlains,

You quoted the rule for Q40, but I think Ed was talking about Q500, where all props (both wood and APC) must be "commercially available and stock." An old Rev-Up may be stock, but it's no longer commercially available.

Ed,

Right?

Dave,

Sorry for the continued digression, but I thought that point deserved to be clarified. It might also help the folks at SEMPRA with their local rules.

Mr. Gross Net Barrister
Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 AM
HighPlains

Thanks for the clarification. It never occurred to me that anyone could still be using a Rev-Up in Quickie since the APC's have clearly dominated the past decade. Even though my fastest radared speed was with a Rev-Up (a set-up that was not in race trim).
Old 10-13-2006, 11:10 AM
kane

I will speak for ED, and he was specifically talking about Gino DelPonte running old Rev-UP props in Q-500.

Dan
Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Ed Smith

I will speak for ED, and he was specifically talking about Gino DelPonte running old Rev-UP props in Q-500.
Correct, it was in the 428 event that this happened.

Ed S
Old 10-13-2006, 12:17 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

In any contest a fee does not have to put up in order to have an engine checked. It is the responsibility and the duty of the C.D. to ensure rules compliance with both engines and airframes.
Everyone should have this page bookmarked: http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/05...k/rc-pylon.pdf

If you look there, you will find section 5, "Challenges to Legality." There are two subsections.

Subsection 5.1 is entitled "Challenge by contestant." It provides for an individual challenge and the posting of a $25 challenge fee.

Subsection 5.2, entitled "CD's option," states: "At any time, the CD or the CD's designee may inspect an engine or aircraft entered in the contest without requiring the posting of a challenge fee."

I don't know how it could be any clearer than that. A wood propeller in Q500 would stick out like a sore thumb. Figuring out whether it was legal should have been even easier than weighing the airplane between heats, and that's standard procedure. IMHO, the CD should not have insisted on a challenge fee for something that basic.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:33 AM
dwbebens

A few more items to consider:

Another factor to consider is the additional burden that detailed technical "tear-down" type of rules enforcement would put on the host club. One or more memebers of each hosting club would have to become expert in the details of the TT Pro 40 engine. They would need precise measuring equipment and would need to know how to use it. I would expect that if I were approaching a club to try to get them to host a 424 race, this issue very well could become a stumbling block.

The race at Mulberry last weekend did run very smoothly. The random RPM, muffler, and weight checks blended-into the race proceedure without any appreciable disruption. It was obvious that the planes were fairly evely matched in 424, which is exactly what we're after, isn't it? I would say that rules enforcement efforts at Mulberry were very succesful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SEMPRA rule rules don't exactly prohibit a full protest-type tear-down inspection after the race, do they? In my opinion, the RPM rule that SEMPRA uses goes a long way toward eliminating the necessity of tear-downs and minimizes hard feelings. I would think that for every actual tear-down episode, there are many more times where people are silently griping about who they think are "bending" the rules. Most people who suspect something won't initiate an official protest, especially novices. They will just become dis-enchanted with pylon racing and may eventually leave racing altogether. With the RPM and other checks throughout the race, people can feel more at ease. I think this is an important psychological benefit that should not be ignored.

I might suggest that the hosting club (or SEMPRA ?) supply the APC 9-6 C2 props. Then check the RPM before the race and either offer the pilot the option of shimming to get below 16,500 or to exchange props to see if that would do it. Then, continue with the random RPM checks throught the event. It might be wise to ID the props in some manner such as was suggested in an earlier reply.

Doug Bebensee

Old 10-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Sandbag Special
My Feedback: (5)

The race at Mulberry last weekend did run very smoothly. The random RPM, muffler, and weight checks blended-into the race proceedure without any appreciable disruption. It was obvious that the planes were fairly evely matched in 424, which is exactly what we're after, isn't it? I would say that rules enforcement efforts at Mulberry were very succesful.

Doug Bebensee
That is what I thought too, and all I myself am trying to get across.

Matt
Old 10-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Scorpion Racing

Thank you Matt, I felt our race at Mulberry went very well, and the 424 class was extremely tight. I think that was the closest finishes we have had in years, and there were a lot of people who had a chance to win races. I can assure you SEMPRA and each CD, including Rick & I, are committed to enforce the rules, and make pylon racing fair and fun. What you saw at our race will continue, and make the sport class fair and open for all newcomers.

We will see all of you at the races....
Old 10-17-2006, 03:23 PM
djlyon

Well I'm not in Sempra. I'm a Southern California racer. But I decided to run off at the mouth anyway. I think this thread shows way to much worry about cheating, especially in 424. I certainly believe in rules, adherence to rules and inspections. And I agree with Ed that when an apparent violation of those rules exists and is brought to the attention of a CD, that CD should take the initiative without looking for a challenge fee. BUT I really do doubt that cheating really has much to do with winning or even doing well, again especially in 424. The guys (out here at least) that do well, do well because of hard work, preparation and practice, and have figured out that the benefit of cheating with the plane or engine gives negligible advantage. It's not worth the effort even for those so prone. For those that aren't doing so well and feel they need or have a right to cheat, I don't care, an added 500rpm isn't going to help them. For the beginners and those that don't get much opportunity to prepare, practice and learn I've never encountered anyone that does not want to help at every level. Maybe because of lack of time and resources you may seldom get to the winners circle but you sure can have fun trying and competing. But don't let someone talk you into the belief that you are not winning because some one else is cheating or in some way has an unfair advantage.

Sure insist on adherence to rules and do reasonable inspection to assure adherence but don't become so preoccupied with worrying about and uncovering cheating or rules violations that the whole thing is no longer fun. That surely will keep everyone home.

Denis

Editors note: "surely" should be "sure" or "Shirley" use either one the message is the same.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:04 AM
goatboy

Scott,
I had a great time at the race, and felt you guys did an excellent job. There where some tight races which made it more exciting so keep up the good work. Any word on when youre next race is yet? also are you guys going to Tangerine? If so see you there.

Doug Jones
AMA AVP dist V
CD 8270
Old 11-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Scorpion Racing

Hey Doug,

We are glad you enjoyed it, we heard nothing but praise about the race! We are trying to nail down a date sometime in Feb. ~ March and will try to have the date set before the Tangerine race weekend. Rick will be gone (skiing in Colorado!!) but Allen and I will be there to represent! We will see you there....